Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So has anybody ever used an empty hand counter against stick or knife effectively?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So has anybody ever used an empty hand counter against stick or knife effectively?

It seems like a substantial portion of the martial arts industry focuses on "knife defense" and "stick defense" which usually boil down to demos of an over commiting, telegraphing student coming in with the weapon visible from largo or snake range and falling into a badass sifu's arms who blocks or passes after which the student stops the attack and gets beat up with overkill flashy traditional moves. now my question is have any of you ever used something like this? i havent

I have, it was an aluminum baseball bat, i did a karate forearm block, then grabbed the bat, broke it in half with my other hand via an inside forearm block, then turned around and did a spinning backhand hit with my half of the baseball bat and ended it with a back heel kick.

Then an army of hot women started pouring our of everywhere like in Axe commercials asking me to father their children, which i did.

Comment

Consensus among my teachers is that when a knife comes into play, you must assume that your going top get cut. (If you get "into" it so to speak)

From sparing with training blades, I can corroborate that chances are, you will be bleeding after the encounter. Even if you train a lot and your good at it.

That said. I've taken knives away from drunks. As have some of my associates.One of m junior instructors took a machete away from a drunk man who was brandishing it on a bus wildly. The guy was impared, and probably soft in the head, so the advantage went to my friend. It's also a big unweildy weapon in such close confines, so add that difficulty to mr. drunk-fu.

As for the sticks. I've taken all manner off blunt objects away from people and swung for the face more times than I can count. Only in playful situations though (drunken foolishness, though at times it was dangerously serious) never from a determined, skilled opponent at the top of their game.

Can it be done? Hell yeah.

Will you get hurt? Most likely.

Can you nail your assailant better than they get you? Depends on your fate.

Train safe hommie!

(and try those disarms with soft trainer stuff a few thousand times before trusting your abilities. Severed tendons have a way of ruining your range of motion.)

Comment

Thanks Mr. Machette, interesting input. It's like in the fma class they taught us the basic inosanto-lacoste knife stuff like when the attacker does an angle one you pass it and strip it and stuff. I was thinking this is really a long shot but it might be possible like when your wife swings a kitchen knife or something. (like the drunks you mentioned) the problem with knives however seems that that stuff wont ever work if the person actually closes the distance up to head to head and starts shanking away with his rear hand while grabbing your neck or something in some sort of clich situation with his live hand

Comment

Yes.

I have successfully defended against a stick attack with bare hands. Specifically, my brother was pissed about something, and took a cheap shot with a staff at me. He thrust at my upper torso. I outward blocked it. Unfortunately, the block took the thrust right on my wrist. Fortunately, the wrist had a nice watch to absorb the impact. Unfortunately, the watch wasn't made to take licking from a staff weapon.

It was about as picture-perfect a Hollywood movie moment as you could get. I always think about Wonder Woman and her dumb-ass bracers blocking bullets when I think of that moment. Anyways, yes, I used a traditional empty-hand block to not get creamed. Then I took the damn staff away and threatened to break it upside his head, as I just got the watch not 15 minutes prior to said incident.

Comment

Originally posted by Muerteds View Post
            I have successfully defended against a stick attack with bare hands. Specifically, my brother was pissed about something, and took a cheap shot with a staff at me. He thrust at my upper torso. I outward blocked it. Unfortunately, the block took the thrust right on my wrist. Fortunately, the wrist had a nice watch to absorb the impact. Unfortunately, the watch wasn't made to take licking from a staff weapon.

It was about as picture-perfect a Hollywood movie moment as you could get. I always think about Wonder Woman and her dumb-ass bracers blocking bullets when I think of that moment. Anyways, yes, I used a traditional empty-hand block to not get creamed. Then I took the damn staff away and threatened to break it upside his head, as I just got the watch not 15 minutes prior to said incident.
            Was it his watch?

Comment

are you gay or something that you actually use a custom font?

Comment

I crescent kicked a beer bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
                  I crescent kick
                  is that one of those awkward lookig kicks where you move your rear (right) leg to the left in front of you and kick your shin upward and oblique to the ribs? what the hell i dont get this motion

Comment

For what it's worth, I was holding the beer bottle between my teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoj
                      Was it his watch?
                      Heh. No. My buddy, who has witnessed many a battle royale between us two siblings, had just given it to me.

Wait, come to think of it, I defended against a stick a second time. My brother threatened to hit me with a broom handle. He made the motion like he was going for the wind-up, so I threw a right cross to the jaw. I felt bad later, and we gave him Excedrin. Sibling fights are the meanest.

Comment

Yes, many times (way too many).
                        Both knife/bladed/sharpened, and
                        stick/bat/staff weapons.

If you never practice those skills,
                        do not attempt it. If you haven't
                        gotten cut/sliced/stabbed, expect
                        to. . .hopefully the adrenaline dump
                        allows you to continue the fight as
                        the pain is very intense "after" you
                        start to calm down.

`~/
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Muerteds View Post
                          Sibling fights are the meanest.
                          yeah real hardcore man

Comment

How many people have actually been attacked with a stick or knife? Of those, how many people stood their ground and fought back?

I would think the figures on knife/stick attacks are quite low.

I have been in a couple of fights, but never against an armed person.

And I probably wouldn't try a disarm unless I had no choice.
                            "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Kanye
                              are you gay or something that you actually use a custom font?
                              It only looks custom if you're a gay troll.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X