running/swiming and bjj

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

running/swiming and bjj

I'm new to the site and don't know if this has been addressed yet.

A friend of mine competes in triathlons and it has become our routine to swim/run in the morning before work. I invited a friend from BJJ to come train with us in the mornings and was surprised by his response. He claims swimming/running will have little to no benefit for BJJ. He argues that BJJ is an explosive sport and thus requires the development of fast twitch muscles and that the slow twitch muscles trained by running/swimming are unimportant to the art. When I challenged that all fighters do roadwork he claimed this training was outdated and more effiecient methods were available. Opinions?

Originally posted by 12 View Post
    I'm new to the site and don't know if this has been addressed yet.

A friend of mine competes in triathlons and it has become our routine to swim/run in the morning before work. I invited a friend from BJJ to come train with us in the mornings and was surprised by his response. He claims swimming/running will have little to no benefit for BJJ. He argues that BJJ is an explosive sport and thus requires the development of fast twitch muscles and that the slow twitch muscles trained by running/swimming are unimportant to the art. When I challenged that all fighters do roadwork he claimed this training was outdated and more effiecient methods were available. Opinions?
    I'm no expert so I won't say anything beyond that I would have thought swimming would be great exercise. The useful information I can give you though is that if you don't get the answers you want here in newbie town, this sounds like a something you should try asking in the PT forum. (Just run a search first to make sure it hasn't been satisfactorily answered already.)

Comment

I've actually heard the same thing, that long-distance running and endurance conditioning is training your body to put out low power over a long time, whereas fighting and combat sports require high output over a short time. The article promoted sprints over marathons, with rest periods to simulate the round experience.
      Fight Film Friday
      Watching violence on film, violently.
      Click here to donate!

Comment

Too many people think fighters go running every morning for the cardio benefits, most do it so that they can make weight for their matches.
        "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
        Kenny Weldon

Comment

Long distance running is definitely not the best use of your time if you're training to fight.

EDIT: Sang has a good point.

Comment

I have a background in road cycling (former Category 3 racer) mountain biking (NORBA Sport Class; cross country and downhill) and triathlons and I assure you the cardio and conditioning you do to prepare yourself for endurance sports is NOT the same as what is required in BJJ or Muay Thai.

I still ride my road bike to help with my long distance endurance and to keep my weight down but the conditioning I do for MMA is completely different.

Any sort of grappling or even kickboxing activity uses multiple muscle groups at high intensity for short blocks of time so your training should mimic the same thing.

Many fighters use medicine balls, simple plyometrics, body weight based exercises like pushups, burpies, etc and some strength based weight lifting like kettle bell clean and jerk and dead lifts incorporated into a circuit that jacks your heart rate near your max for short blocks of time.
            These circuits are often repeated many times after very short periods of recovery (1 minute or so).

In the Winter I run on a treadmill for 5-7 minutes close to my max, then do sets with weights with almost no rest in-between sets. I chose lifts that work major or multiple muscle groups.
            I try and repeat this multiple times.

The high intensity training will make you want to puke, the suffering is intense but shot and works your ANEROBIC as well as aerobic conditioning.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
            X