Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forrest Griffin's book, "Got Fight? The 50 Zen Principles of Hand-to-Face Combat"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forrest Griffin's book, "Got Fight? The 50 Zen Principles of Hand-to-Face Combat"

searched to see if any threads had been made, but apparently no. so yeah guys, got this book a couple of weeks ago. read it in about 3 days. i am highly pleased.

here's a mini-review of the goods:

i find this book to be FUNNEH. it's a semi-autobiographical book on Forrest, his mental attitude, the way he trains, what he believes makes him a good fighter and how his attitude as a fighter bleeds into his everyday person and vice-versa.

to begin, we have the writing on the jacket sleeve:

BAM. right after this, we have a note from the publisher, a disclaimer stating many names and places were changed to 'keep Forrest from getting sued by a bunch of douchebags', and acknowledgements. he assures only insignificatn and non-cute animals were harmed in the making of the book.

all of this up to here has been hilarious in my opinion. Forrest has a really funny self-deprecating sense of humor. he doesn't try to sound like anything more than he is, and appears quite humble after reading the book.

the book is broken up into chapters called "books" themselves, where he covers different subjects. every now and then, you get a gray square of text on the page, where someone else chimes in, mostly friends of Forrest or people who train with him. contents are as follows:

You Must Take This Test Before Reading My Book
    Book 1: The Physical
    Book 2: The Mental
    Book 3: Smart Advice
    Book 4: Handling Your Business
    Book 5: 42 Fighting Tips
    Book 6: The Vault of Supersecret Techniques

the test is a multiple choice exam where Forrest will have you evaluate your manhood in order to calculate your eligibility to read this book. women reading are encouraged to grow a hairy pair.

Book 1 opens with a short anecdote entitled "The Devil Wears a Pocket Protector". Forrest goes over how when he used to hang with his meathead teammates from the football team, sometimes they'd want to do things like harass nerds. so they went to a college campus with this in mind, and one of them... harassed a nerd. called him names, knocked his books out his hands, and such. the kid didn't like this, and reacted by charging a football player that had a good 100 pounds or more on him. it eventually turned into 3 football players vs. 1 nerd, but the nerd had real heart, and unless they were willing to KILL him, he would keep getting up. it was a fight they couldn't win. he uses this as an example of true heart in the face of physical adversity, and as an introduction to his concepts on pain and increasing your threshhold for it.

while it is "The Physical", he talks about proper mentality for fighting, and then covers stuff like non-fighters wouldn't know about, such as weightcutting, overtraining, staph infections, shitty partners to roll with, and such. part of the book is anecdotes, part is Forrest talking to you, the reader.

Book 2 is about overthinking, hesitation, how to keep things simple, trash talking, confidence, having a proper gameplan, and whatnot. again, this book is mostly written in a somewhat... disorganized form, but it flows really well with itself. anecdotes, monologues, it's quite a fun read.

Book 3 covers everything from getting into exclusive clubs to picking up chicks. he talks about music, books not to read on the subway to avoid getting approached by gay men, things to look out for in women who are interested in you because you're a fighter, a whole plethora of things. funny, and useful sometimes, actually.

Book 4 is VERY short. just some tips on picking your gym, trainers, managers and dealing with all of them. was very informative for me, someone who's never dealt with people like that. i think it has some pretty sound advice.

Book 5, very cool. he covers basic fighting tips in a very nice fashion. things about your stance, how to walk properly, things NOT to do, all very basic things you've learned after training for about a month, but still, i think it's a nice read. it's all interspersed with jokes, so it's still pretty funny. he covers grappling basics as well, and break down some techniques with pictures, some guardpasses, the kimura from the guard, omoplata, RNC, armbar from mount, and things like this.

finally, Book 6 is a compilation of techniques that range from half-serious to completely ludicrous. it starts with a move Forrest calls "Fuck Start the Head", which according to the book is the proper way to break someone's neck with your hands. there's a knee to the nads setup, his variation of the oil-check, which he calls the Asian Dart, admittedly just to sound cool as it's just an oil-check, then there's Forrest teaching how to fend off a dog attack, complete with a pictorial of Forrest grappling a stuffed toy dog. finally, Forrest ends the book with his super-secret foolproof death technique, kyokoshikin, and this my friends, is worth the value of this book many times over.

anyways, yeah, that's it. i had myself a lot of fun reading this book, i admire Griffin a lot more after it, even though i came in as a fan already. i find the book to be damn funny, and i think most of you guys will enjoy it.

I was wondering whether to pick this up or not, now I think I will.

Thanks!
    Fight Film Friday
    Watching violence on film, violently.
    Click here to donate!

Comment

I picked this up for a long plane trip a little while back. It had its moments, but overall there just wasn't much content. I don't dislike the writing style, but he didn't pull it off very well. The whole thing struck me as sort of dull.

Comment

I found it hilarious and highly enjoyable. I would recommend it to anyone.
        sigpic

Comment

you should post your review on amazon too; just so others who aren't on Bullshido will have a good, well-thought out review to read before they purchase the book.

thanks for the review ronaldk

Comment

I read it while flying back and forth to Washington. People on the flight were looking at me like a crazy person as I laughed out loud. I found it a hilarious read and could imagine his goofy voice in my head as I read certain passages. It's a quick read and well worth the price.

Comment

Well I am convinced , I need to check it out I have lots of long car rides ahead of me .
              I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
              BILL HICKS,
              1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
              ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

I bought it after reading the first few pages on Amazon thinking the whole book would read the like beginning of the first chapter: anecdotes about his life and training. While there are many of these, and they are mostly hilarious, there's also tons of information geared towards fighters and wannabe fighters, like what to look for in a gym, how to avoid staph, and how to wash your balls before rolling, because please, nobody wants to smell that shit.

My favorite part were the "Dick in a Box" sidebars by Griffin's friends, telling little stories about just how batshit insane he is. They're interspersed throughout, and break up some of the more monotonous passages. The beginning and end of the book are hilarious and good reads, but the vast middle portion reads like "How Do MMA," which wasn't really what I was looking for in this book.

Overall it was a good read, funny, and made me like Griffin more than I already did. Just wasn't quite what I expected.

Comment

My wife bought it for me while I was laid up last month. Finished it in 3 days. It was funny as hell and his friends should write their own books!

Comment

I sat down and read part of it at the local bookstore a few weeks ago... the story about the nerd fighting the football players is golden. I'll definitely buy it the next time I get some extra spendin' cash.

Comment

LMFAO @ dog defense.

I fucking love Forrest.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                      X