Asking some generic questinos, but w/e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asking some generic questinos, but w/e

What up bitc-wait lemme do this shit correctly.

I'm 16
    6' 1"
    230 lbs.
    Live in Miami, Fl
    I'm healthy, but I'm a chubby dude.
    So I would say I'm in average shape.

Recently I've been intrigued by MMA and I'm considering it as a hobby, and maybe more later on. How exactly do I start training?

And what do you guys recommend as a workout for a beginner.

Basically give me everything you guys think I'll need to know.

Um, here goes:

1) Find MMA gym

2) Walk inside

3) Sign up for classes

4) Start training

Simple, huh?

Here's a good workout for a beginner:

Mon:
    Go train at MMA gym

Wed:
    Go train at MMA gym

Fri:
    Go train at MMA gym

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Comment

So that's pretty much it huh?

So... is there anyway i can find info about a certain gym?

Comment

Originally posted by Bazooka Tooth View Post
        So that's pretty much it huh?

So... is there anyway i can find info about a certain gym?
        That's pretty much it.

Do you have questions on a specific gym? Or are you looking for suggestions?

Here's my suggestion:

ATT of Doral
        7780 NW 25th Street Unit #22
        Doral, Florida 33172
        PHONE: 305-436-0210
        EMAIL: [email protected]
        WEB: http://www.attdoral.com

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Comment

I'm gonna start researching for gyms closer to my area, but thanks I'll definitely check out the one you suggested.

Comment

I just started at my gym last week and I had no experience with any MAs. And pretty much I hit the yellowpages and called every gym till I found one that seemed to fit me. I also visited many of them. If the gym you find trains like mine then I suggest you start getting used to physical activities.

Comment

Just to emphasize from above:

"What is a good workout for a beginner?"

Do whatever your new coaches tell you. I say this because I hear people say "I'm gonna join just as soon as I get my [cardio] [flexibility] [strength] (pick one) where it needs to be".

Just go to class; your coaches will take care of all of those things.

Also, search for posts by Slideyfoot in this forum and get some really good tips on finding a class.

Good luck.

(Also--jealous--wish I had all of the options you will have in the Miami area)

Comment

I'm 16
                6' 1"
                230 lbs.
                Live in Miami, Fl

Recently I've been intrigued by MMA and I'm considering it as a hobby, and maybe more later on. How exactly do I start training?

Being in Miami makes you lucky. One a few markets in America with nearly limitless great options for learning martial arts.

Any skilled coach will know what is best for a beginner. Make sure to do your homework ahead of time before you sign anything and also consider lurking on the forums here as well.

If you find specific schools you'd like to run by people on here, I'm sure people would love to help.

I'm a bit north of you in Broward County, but South Florida has some of the best training in the nation. You shouldn't have much trouble finding something that suits you.
                Official member of the Bruce Buffer 360 War Wagon

Comment

I'm 16
                  6' 1"
                  230 lbs.
                  Live in Miami, Fl

Sounds like you are in high school. Join your high school wrestling team if they have one. It's free and its great training. As a heavyweight you may have a decent chance to start, even if you are beginning late, and if you don't start the coach will still be excited to get you because heavyweight can sometimes lack same size training partners in high school.

Comment

OP,

Still join an MMA gym as mentioned above. Wrestling is not year round in HS. Also, take advantage of any weight training in HS. Some schools have impressive set-ups and training (not all but check it out)

Comment

Thanks for all help, but I'm not in school anymore so wrestling isn't an option. I'm just kind of worried that the classes won't be as intense as I hope they are. I'm gonna call a place called Extreme MMA, they have really good reviews. Anybody ever here of it on the forums?

Comment

Thanks for all help, but I'm not in school anymore so wrestling isn't an option. I'm just kind of worried that the classes won't be as intense as I hope they are. I'm gonna call a place called Extreme MMA, they have really good reviews. Anybody ever here of it on the forums?
                        I'm not sure how much more intense you want than 1) having someone try to choke you unconscious or rip your arm off and 2) trying to punch you in the face...

But just about any MMA gym should adequately challenge you. The main instructor is a BJJ black belt with a good grappling record. It appears he's also fought, which is good.

Place looks solid from a cursory glance.
                        Official member of the Bruce Buffer 360 War Wagon

Comment

How much exercise do you currently do and at what intensity?

I have a feeling that the answer will be 'not much' to both questions, in which case I think you'll be surprised at how intense the classes are; especially the ground work.

Your first few classes, the guys may take it easy on you but once you're no longer the n00b, expect the intensity to be cranked up.
                          " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Comment

Hey OP...you want intensity?

Man...you are in Miami. The hell w/ an "MMA gym"...you are in the home of some of the best underground street fights in the country.

Here's what I would recommend. Go to Kimbo's backyard. Fight a guy named "Level". Post on Youtube.

You are on your way to learning how to fight!

Comment

Originally posted by Asriel View Post
                              How much exercise do you currently do and at what intensity?

I have a feeling that the answer will be 'not much' to both questions, in which case I think you'll be surprised at how intense the classes are; especially the ground work.

Your first few classes, the guys may take it easy on you but once you're no longer the n00b, expect the intensity to be cranked up.
                              Most my workout is cardio, bout 30 second sprint, then a minute jog. keep that up for about mile, then I jog/walk another mile. I used to lift weights, but I stopped going to the gym cause I wasn't satisfied with it. I'm trying to do this 5 times a week.

I just figured since the classes were for beginners that they would be slack.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X