• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by It is Fake View Post
    Nebietown.
    yeah, forgot where i was.

Comment

I had my fist class last night, I thought it went very, very well. The atmosphere is great, everyone there is very nice and is always helping each other learn. All I did was; learning the beginning of the first form, learnt basic the chain punch, began hand conditioning, and began the most basic sensitivity training. While it may not be the most exciting stuff it's the very basics and they're important. I will likely be going back on Thursday, and then the first class I'd have been taking with "aliveness" won't be happening because the teacher will be out of town. But the doors will be open during the normal class time and some other students will be there so I'll probably drop by and see what they're doing.

Comment

Beware of "hand conditioning". Aside from deadening the nerves in your hand, it's my understanding that all you are doing is making minor bone breaks which may or may not heal back stronger. I once met a girl who thought she was conditioning her hands by punching steel. This is pretty much the worst idea I've heard come out of a "TMA" school.

Also, can you talk about why you liked the class so much? What kind of 1-1 attention you got, and from whom, and whom you got paired up with? Thanks, welcome to Bullshido.
        Originally posted by Sarcastro
        He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabetuno View Post
          Beware of "hand conditioning". Aside from deadening the nerves in your hand, it's my understanding that all you are doing is making minor bone breaks which may or may not heal back stronger. I once met a girl who thought she was conditioning her hands by punching steel. This is pretty much the worst idea I've heard come out of a "TMA" school.

Also, can you talk about why you liked the class so much? What kind of 1-1 attention you got, and from whom, and whom you got paired up with? Thanks, welcome to Bullshido.
          As for the hand conditioning, i was advised to do it very lightly at first (we use rice bags or something like them) and my sifu was doing it pretty hard, and of course monkey see monkey do, i started off by doing it hard and almost messed up my hands. The conditioning more so seems to just make good callouses on the knuckles and get the fists used to constant punching. I've only ever been in a few fights as a kid so my hand aren't really used to it.

I really enjoyed the class because I noticed a lot of power in the stances, and everything my teacher and the more senior stundents told me really made sense. Towards the begining of class I was instruced by a senior student while the teacher was talking to/setting the other students off to do their things for the day. After that was done me and another semi-new guy got more indepth explenations and guidance from the sifu. There was a lot of attention and teaching through the whole class be it from another passing student of the sifu. Any time I got paired up with someone it'd be a senior student.

Comment

What were the drills like? What was the proportion of explanation to drill? Not trying to start an inquisition, just curious about your new schooling experience relative to a few I've had, including in BJJ.
            He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabetuno View Post
              What were the drills like? What was the proportion of explanation to drill? Not trying to start an inquisition, just curious about your new schooling experience relative to a few I've had, including in BJJ.
              I'm not sure what to call drills. But when I was partnered with someone it was like a chain punch/blocking drill(?) It was just working off some of the beginning of the form I had learnt. There were a lot of applications explained but we only worked on one. I am also aware that constant working of dead patterns won't really help in a real right because there's a resisting opponent, that's why I'm looking forward to an aliveness class and further testing it out on my friends!

Comment

Nice. I'm curious to hear more about the sparring. Good luck to you, and don't forget to punch people in the god damn head.

Comment

Just an update, had my second class today, went very, very well. I learnt the next part of the first form, and worked on the applications and sensitivity. Very good environment, every time I began a new application the person I was working it with (more senior students) kept asking if I had done it before, though I am sure they are just being nice, it brought a smile to my face.

Comment

One thing I'm curious about: why are you posting here? I ask that without insult, but because I'm genuinely curious. If you've been reading this forum in general, you know that the consensus is that wing chun tends to be terrible; if you've been reading your own thread, you know that the majority here thinks you're wastinng your time and money. You're polite, and write like an intelligent adult, and so people here will treat you politely and wish you nothing but good...but behind our computers we're face palming that you're asking for input and then ignoring it completely.

So I'm curious: why here? You could post about your beginning experiences at a wide variety of websites, and they'd be enthusiastic and possibly have tons of wing chun advice to give you. Here people will just follow along for a little while in the hopes that you actually get your head around what we're telling you: if you're doing this to learn how to fight, you are wasting your time and money. Tell us where you live, and we'll be happy to find you a much better school! That's what you're going to get from posting here about this: is that what you're going for? Something else?

Comment

Originally posted by Pojac View Post
                      One thing I'm curious about: why are you posting here? I ask that without insult, but because I'm genuinely curious. If you've been reading this forum in general, you know that the consensus is that wing chun tends to be terrible; if you've been reading your own thread, you know that the majority here thinks you're wastinng your time and money. You're polite, and write like an intelligent adult, and so people here will treat you politely and wish you nothing but good...but behind our computers we're face palming that you're asking for input and then ignoring it completely.

So I'm curious: why here? You could post about your beginning experiences at a wide variety of websites, and they'd be enthusiastic and possibly have tons of wing chun advice to give you. Here people will just follow along for a little while in the hopes that you actually get your head around what we're telling you: if you're doing this to learn how to fight, you are wasting your time and money. Tell us where you live, and we'll be happy to find you a much better school! That's what you're going to get from posting here about this: is that what you're going for? Something else?
                      Who says I'm ignoring their input? I may not reply to some posts but I still read and consider them. Many posts here have already proven to contain valuable information. I post at this site because it's the only site of the sort I know of. Besides if I did go to a Wing Chun forum it's likely that it'd be completely biased towards Wing Chun. I am trying to look at both sides of the coin.

While I know that Wing Chun has a bad rep here and many other places, I have heard both sides and doubt it is as bad as the other side says. Most forms of kung fu share the same low opinion and it is true that modern kung fu is like a sea of piss, but there are still spots of clear water and through research I bleieve I have found one of those. I am aware of all the other martial arts locally available and I chose a Wing Chun school for many reasons. Foremost I am not interested in simply learned how to fight, though that is a large bit of it. I am also interested in the art aspect.

The school I go too isn't filled with scrawny WC elitests, most of the students are quite buff but fortunately also retain a level headed attitude. The drills that are performed aren't just bland dead patterns, while I haven't gone to the aliveness class yet the drills contain random patterns, i.e. varients in angle of attacks, how hard the hits are, speed of attack, ect.

The only concern I have is that I haven't learnt anything about fighting against someone who isn't using WC, though I have only taken a few classes and that may be resolved of its' own accord. Or as I have said previously I have many friends whom train other MA's typically being the "critically acclaimed" MMA, and thus I can train with them as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Pojac View Post
                        <snip>
                        you know that the consensus is that wing chun tends to be terrible; if you've been reading your own thread, you know that the majority here thinks you're wastinng your time and money.
                        <snip>
                        @ [color=#cccccc]chthonian[/COLO"]No BS MMA and Martial Arts - View Profile: [email protected]@[email protected]@View Profile: chthonian</title>@@[email protected]@chthonian:
                        I cannot judge anything about the school where you train as I am at the other side of the ocean. My below reply is therefore more general and not specific at your initial message.

@Pojac:
                        Some Wing Chun schools may indeed be what the majority thinks. And I think Wing Chun practitioners might benefit from crosstraining in groundwork and good grappling.

chainpunching:
                        Contrary to what I see on filmclips, Wing Chun is not "exclusively chainpunching". The way my teacher taught was to use these chainpunches if my first punch landed, then creating 'stimulus overload' for the opponent and go on to other tactics/techniques.
                        (and I am not 'King Wing Chun' ;-) )

But I do understand the tendency of how people think about Wing Chun, many times there is a split up between teacher and student, student-not there yet- starts Wing Chun school and well....(fill in all scepticism etc.), and there may be lots of other reasons.

BertB
                        (Grizzly216)
                        Last edited by Grizzly216; 9/04/2009 6:51pm, .

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                        X