No announcement yet.

Starting Wing Chun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My advice is to watch lots of recent videos of Muay Thai, MMA, k-1 and Vale Tudo. Pay attention to the stand up fighting. You will notice that it looks nothing like Wing Chun. Ask yourself why that might be. Ask yourself also why there are so few (are there any?) prominent Wing Chun fighters in these competitions.

Then, when you've done that, watch the Wing Chun episode of fightquest. In particular watch the fight at the end and ask yourself which of the fighters you would rather be.

Comment

I would think just the video that you posted in the first post would be enough to discourage you from taking WC????

Comment

hasn't even had a class yet, and he's already saying "my sifu" instead of "the instructor".

he's been brainwashed into the cult.

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post
          hasn't even had a class yet, and he's already saying "my sifu" instead of "the instructor".

Maybe , but I wish Good Luck (tm) to the OP . I hope you found the most awesome WC out there . I also hope you record some of the full contact sparring sessions and share them with us .

WC gets a bad rep because it lacks evidence of the core WC techniques working under real pressure . Please help fix this common misconception with the unique opportunity you you bought into .
          I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
          BILL HICKS,
          1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
          ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post

Nebietown. To be fair many CMAers larp long before they ever take a class.

Comment

chthonian,

As a former Chunner, take a few weeks of the Chun. Do not sign a binding contract, pay month to month if you can. Then, after a few weeks go to a boxing gym and try boxing for a few weeks. Then, Judo/Wrestling.

If after trying a grappling art, and an alive striking art you choose to return to Wing Chun then at least you will do so with open eyes.
              I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Comment

Originally posted by ignatzami View Post
                chthonian,

As a former Chunner, take a few weeks of the Chun. Do not sign a binding contract, pay month to month if you can. Then, after a few weeks go to a boxing gym and try boxing for a few weeks. Then, Judo/Wrestling.

If after trying a grappling art, and an alive striking art you choose to return to Wing Chun then at least you will do so with open eyes.
                Very good advise.

Comment

Originally posted by Student View Post
                  Very good advise.
                  Thank you,

My thought is as follows. I enjoyed Wing Chun. It did nothing to help me fight, it may have worsened a pre-existing shoulder injury, but it was fun. My classmates were good people, and for awhile I really liked the instructor.

Wing Chun is a fun art to take, it's low contact, and therefore has a limited chance of injury. Frankly, any exercise is better then no exercise.

I think we at Bullshido get so wrapped up in the combat effectiveness barometer that we forget that most people want to take a Martial Art for the exercise, and for the community, not for the combat worthiness of the art.

Granted, Combat Sports tend to be better exercise, but I try to keep in mind that as long as people go into an art with open eyes and realize what they are paying for then I see no issue with it.

I would have never gotten into Judo, or BJJ, without Wing Chun. In fact, it was the SMA/Phil Elmore & Anthony Iglesias threads that brought me to Bullshido. I would have never considered BJJ if I had not been in Wing Chun. I would have never considered Judo if not for BJJ.

tl;dr version: Not everybody wants to fight. If you don't then take Wing Chun, enjoy it, and when you want to fight go elsewhere.
                  I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Comment

ignatzami - I have a very similar story to yours where I started traditional martial arts (a bullshido one too) first and in my opinion I learned more bad fighting habits than good fighting habits, and probably led to a few injuries becoming aggravated do to the unrealistic movements. With that said, it was fun and I liked the people. I am not sure however if that led the way to me doing more productive arts or just delayed me getting into them sooner (who knows).

Comment

Originally posted by Student View Post
                      ignatzami - I have a very similar story to yours where I started traditional martial arts (a bullshido one too) first and in my opinion I learned more bad fighting habits than good fighting habits, and probably led to a few injuries becoming aggravated do to the unrealistic movements. With that said, it was fun and I liked the people. I am not sure however if that led the way to me doing more productive arts or just delayed me getting into them sooner (who knows).
                      I feel that Wing Chun helped me get into BJJ/Judo because I got comfortable with the idea of a Martial Art through Wing Chun. It was an easy school to walk into, and a really easy art to feel comfortable in.

I eventually realized I had grown beyond what Syracuse Martial Arts(SMA) could give me, and I moved on. All be it with some friction but that's neither here nor there.

I then moved onto BJJ and realized just how much I had been missing. Would I have walked into a BJJ school off the street? I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by chthonian View Post
                        I wholeheartedly disagree. I don't think of myself as the type of person to do that kind of thing. I have already considered (after training in WC for a while) cross training into another MA. Not because WC is bad but because I would like to have a wide repituar.
                        Firstly let me welcome you to the art of wing chun. I Want you to knwo that there are a few posters here who practice and enjoy wing chun kung fu and support your descision to train. We are generally considered village idiots but regardless we are here. Basically it all comes down to your understanding. This video below me is the key that will determine if you are training effectively to fight.

YouTube - Words of Wisdom PT 1

Once you understand what aliveness is and why it is important you can never be bullshitted again. If you choose to do an art regardless of name or origin then you will have a personal measuring tool. It's quite simple: Fighting is something that can be tested in objective reality. There is never a reason to base an entire art off of what the isntructor says will happen. A few moves cannot be sparred or trained completely but they are few and far between and with a little ingenuity even these can be trained alive. eyegoggles, thick sweatshirt, knee braces, ect. Once again I love wing chun. I thik it is a very effective street style self defence system. But you have to train it like you would any other skill. Practice, and unless you intend to fight a cooperative opponent then practice your techniques as you intend to do them on a partner doing his best to attack you regardless of what you do.

I hope you enjoy and benefit from your training in wing chun and for the record I don't agree with a portion of what matt thronton says but a good amount of his material is definitly worth watching. In particular the I method video is an excellent way to train wing chun techniques.

Comment

Originally posted by wingchunx2z View Post
                          I Want you to knwo that there are a few posters here who practice and enjoy wing chun kung fu and support your descision to train. We are generally considered village idiots but regardless we are here.
                          Hey...that hurts. ;)

I'd actually say that those of us Chunners who are still here are here because we agree w/ Bullshido's purpose...and hope someday to be able to point to some wing chun that is proven to be effective. I also think that a few of us might actually be respected by the other members of the boards because we acknolwedge this issues and limitations within wing chun and don't just blindly believe what our Sifu tells us.

That being said... wingchunx2z is right about aliveness. Too many wing chun schools exist today simply to make money. This means that they soften the training as to not drive away students that might not want to get hurt. Furthermore, they end up teaching techniques and habits that run contrary to what you would actually need to do in a fight...and they can do this b/c they never test out what actually works in a fight.

Well...the tough thing is fighting is an ugly business, and people get hurt. If you don't get hurt, beat up, banged up, bruised, etc. when you are training, you are going to shit yourself when you are actually called upon to use your skills and you get punched in the face.

So...here is my advice.

1. Ask a lot of questions. During class, during techniques, etc. Ask hypothetical questions (i.e. what if he does this?), ask tough questions, and then ask how your teacher knows the answer to those questions. Too many people act like questioning your teacher is a bad thing. That's why we've got so many shity teachers around. Just because someone claims to have knowledge of something doesn't mean they know how to apply that knowledge.

2. Punch your friends, and get punched. TEST every technique you learn out in a full contact scenario. If you haven't or can't test it out and proved to yourself that it works (i.e. poking the eyes, etc.), don't fucking rely on it!

3. Ask your teacher about his/her fighting experience. I don't care what anyone else tells you...if you haven't been in any real fights, it is really hard to teach someone what to do in a real fight.

4. Train w/ other arts. Too many times wing chun people only practice against other wing chun people...and they start to think that everyone throws their punches from their chest w/ a vertical fist. Most people don't. Learn how to fight people who don't do wing chun. Seriously, don't worry about other wing chun people, most of them can't fight. ;)

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for all the input, I have my first class tomorrow, and I'll let you guys know how it went. The first class is free, and then there's a 3 month commitment, then a 6 month after. I'll keep you guys posted on how well the training is going and whether or not it is actually worthwhile. Most of my friends take martial arts, usually MMA(MT, BJJ, Karate, ect.) and I am planning on regular sparring with them. Also, if I get the oppertunity to film any sparring during class or with my friends I will and I'll post it.

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for all the input, I have my first class tomorrow, and I'll let you guys know how it went. The first class is free, and then there's a 3 month commitment, then a 6 month after. I'll keep you guys posted on how well the training is going and whether or not it is actually worthwhile. Most of my friends take martial arts, usually MMA(MT, BJJ, Karate, ect.) and I am planning on regular sparring with them. Also, if I get the oppertunity to film any sparring during class or with my friends I will and I'll post it.
                              Chun gets a bad rap around here, usually for good reason. Sounds like you are on the right track though, good that you have some friends to work out with.

Good luck with your training, and welcome to Bullshido.

Comment

Most of my friends take martial arts, usually MMA(MT, BJJ, Karate, ect.) and I am planning on regular sparring with them. Also, if I get the oppertunity to film any sparring during class or with my friends I will and I'll post it.
                                Sounds good, I look forward to the vids. Good luck with the training.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X