Announcement

Collapse

FORUM MAINTENANCE

FORUM MAINTENANCE THIS EVENING!!! PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE FORUMS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR A PERIOD OF TIME. JOIN US ON THE DISCORD, INSTEAD!
See more
See less

Starting Wing Chun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting Wing Chun

Hello everyone, this is my first post and I'm here to say that I am starting Wing Chun training on Tuesday, I have already talked to my Sifu and been given a demo/overview. I was wondering what I should expect during the course of my training. Also if there's any users out there that could give me some tips.

Also if found this video interesting: YouTube - Wing Chun- Full Contact

The consensus is to train something else. You are unlikely to have found one of the 2-3 WC schools in the country that will actually teach you how to fight.
    sigpic

Comment

Does your new school have a website? Can we see it?

Comment

http://www.victoriawingchun.com/index.html

this is my school.

Comment

Originally posted by chthonian View Post
          I know "the camera adds 10lbs" but is the instructor that out of shape in real life?(assuming that's him in the vid)

Why do the few WC kicks I see always look so weak? Maybe I'm missing something.

Comment

Originally posted by jspeedy View Post
            I know "the camera adds 10lbs" but is the instructor that out of shape in real life?(assuming that's him in the vid)

Why do the few WC kicks I see always look so weak? Maybe I'm missing something.
            He is actually quite muscular, he is also about 6'5".

Comment

the website claims to have aliveness class, sign of promise?

Comment

Originally posted by henshinx View Post
                the website claims to have aliveness class, sign of promise?
                yeah every Saturday there's an extra hour of full contact sparring after the regular classes.

Comment

Well, the sparring sounds promising, though if there is full-contact sparring that would actually make it difficult to tell you what to expect in a WC class because most WC classes are just boring wrist dueling and hitting a dummy.

Comment

Originally posted by Rivington View Post
                    Well, the sparring sounds promising, though if there is full-contact sparring that would actually make it difficult to tell you what to expect in a WC class because most WC classes are just boring wrist dueling and hitting a dummy.
                    True but even my Sifu agrees that most Wing Chun schools are BS.

Comment

Originally posted by chthonian View Post
                      True but even my Sifu agrees that most Wing Chun schools are BS.
                      This is not unique amongst Chun schools. Nearly every school I've heard of acknowledges that most Chun is shit, and then goes on to claim zat zey, UND ONLY ZEY!! have the true Chun.

They are almost always wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Off View Post
                        This is not unique amongst Chun schools. Nearly every school I've heard of acknowledges that most Chun is shit, and then goes on to claim zat zey, UND ONLY ZEY!! have the true Chun.

They are almost always wrong.
                        Fortunately my Sifu has never made such claims.

Comment

chthonian, you will learn little and pay lots. You will eventually write a thread about how other chunners suck but not you, you will then face a majority of posters telling you to STFU. You will then try and convince us that you spar, we will ask for proof, you will not provide any all the while telling us you don't need to provide proof. Then you will provide "proof" but it will be substandard and everyone will tell you to STFU, which will hurt your ego and you will continue telling us how good chunning is until eventually you tell us all we suck and you are leaving this site permanently, but fail to do so.
                          I'm trying to help you out as a new member. Do something else, MT, Judo, BJJ, MMA, anything (lurk/ search and find out what sucks) to avoid the caning you will receive in the wilderness that is Bullshido. For your safety and our sanity, please do something else, even if it is crosstraining in another art (if your sifu doesn't let you, get out of there).
                          I imagine, however, your Sifu already has his mystical claws in...
                          GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
                          Originally posted by Devil
                          I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
                          Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
                          I <3 Battlefields...

Comment

Originally posted by battlefields View Post
                            chthonian, you will learn little and pay lots. You will eventually write a thread about how other chunners suck but not you, you will then face a majority of posters telling you to STFU. You will then try and convince us that you spar, we will ask for proof, you will not provide any all the while telling us you don't need to provide proof. Then you will provide "proof" but it will be substandard and everyone will tell you to STFU, which will hurt your ego and you will continue telling us how good chunning is until eventually you tell us all we suck and you are leaving this site permanently, but fail to do so.
                            I'm trying to help you out as a new member. Do something else, MT, Judo, BJJ, MMA, anything (lurk/ search and find out what sucks) to avoid the caning you will receive in the wilderness that is Bullshido. For your safety and our sanity, please do something else, even if it is crosstraining in another art (if your sifu doesn't let you, get out of there).
                            I imagine, however, your Sifu already has his mystical claws in...
                            I wholeheartedly disagree. I don't think of myself as the type of person to do that kind of thing. I have already considered (after training in WC for a while) cross training into another MA. Not because WC is bad but because I would like to have a wide repituar.

Comment

Even if they do hard sparring, your training will very likely be subpar to what you could learn in other arts.

This site is full of people who wasted many years training in Chun.You should really reconsider.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X