Lineage of Wing Chun schools in Tampa, FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lineage of Wing Chun schools in Tampa, FL

I am looking for insight into a couple of Wing Chun schools in the Tampa area. I did a search on the forum and could not find anything. School 1 is taught by Brian Siegel, and School 2 is taught by Dr. Nelson/Och.

Perhaps I am more interested in finding out about Jason Lau and Alan Goldberg from school1, and Steve Swift from school 2.

If anyone is uncomfortable providing me insight on this forum, then pleas e-mail me at [email protected]. Thanks.

Respectfully,

Walter

We have a member, WingChunX2Z who is a student at Sifu Och's school I believe. He may have some info for you.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jurat13 View Post
      I am looking for insight into a couple of Wing Chun schools in the Tampa area. I did a search on the forum and could not find anything. School 1 is taught by Brian Siegel, and School 2 is taught by Dr. Nelson/Och.

School 1 Lineage: Leung Jan - Chan Wa Shun - Jiu Wan - Jason Lau – Alan Goldberg/Jerry Gonzalez – Brian Siegel

School 2 Lineage: Yip Man – Yip Chun - Wong Shun Leung – Simon Lau – Steve Swift – Nelson/Och

Perhaps I am more interested in finding out about Jason Lau and Alan Goldberg from school1, and Steve Swift from school 2.

If anyone is uncomfortable providing me insight on this forum, then pleas e-mail me at [email protected]. Thanks.

Respectfully,

Walter
      First, let me welcome you and hope you can find what you're looking for. Secondly, I think Sifu Och is an amazing fighter. He is very similar to me in our views on sparring and aplication of the technique in a real life scenario. However, for whatever reason It seems that he and Grandmaster Swift are not on very good terms now. I'm in contact with both but as of yet havn't been able to discern the cause of this rift. I'm not studying under sifu Och at all he is located in Brandon to my knowledge. I study under GM Swift directly. I can tell you very little about how Justin runs his schools aside form the litte bits I've heard when he tlks to me. GM Swift, however is something I cna answer nearly any questions you haev about.

First and foremost, GM Swift has re peiced what he believes to be the complete system. He learned from four diff sources to obtain all the peices that yip man was not able to pass on to each individual, ip chun adn ip ching had great chi sao but very little kicking or chi gerk, wsl and simon lau both had kicking and wsl was very into free fighting chi sao, all had diff methods and ideas and gm swift studied them all in oder to recreate the complete system that GM yip man taught.

What you will learn: First and foremost his attitude is that wing chun is not a sport so u will encounter the "d34dly/sport vs street" However, this is not an excuse not to spar or compete. He will tell you openly that u are free to compete with wing chun but if you do, he expects you to do what you have been trained to do and if that gets you disqualified then good, he will applaud you for doing what he taught you. His attitude is wing chun is a street tactical self defense system meant to get you home and save your life.

We had what was called fight club in which we had a sparring class where we would use the techniques in contact sparring for a bit but since myself adn onee or two others were the only ones to show up it's been put on hold. He's not adverse to you bringing your helmet and gloves in adn doing the drills with contact and movement though. If you'd like to stay after class and spar some that's no prob either.

Very little emphasis is placed on the forms and from day one the first thing you will learn is how to stop and simultaneously counter a straight hook and uppercut punch from an untrained fighter. Later on when someone squares off on you and puts his right or left foot forward you will learn to change and fight from arrow stance. We occasionally do anti grappling based on what he feels like or if someone brought a question up. Not alot of people are knowledgable about the finer points of grappling and it's not a big point of focus. However, from my personal expereince every thing outside of one thing he's taught has worked against fairly high level grapplers at my BJj school. Some of them would be considered low percentage and there really isnt any higher percetnage shot stop than a sprawl body lock and stuff the head , but they do work when you are able to execute them.

Really though, it depends on what you are looking for in a wing chun school. He will teach teh traditional art. We do not modiy our wing chun with boxing guard or mix other styles in. We are mostly pure tradional wing chun with slight alterations based on GM Swift's personal expereinces. I find that it is an excellent, simple, fast and effective method of self defense. It builds coordination, balance, the ability to use more than one limb independently of the other, ambidextrious limbs, hand speed, and excellent sensitivity that has frustrated wrestlers adn BJJ fighters alike with my ability to recover guard, control the inside tie, pummel, and redirect incomming force.

For more info on GM Swift here is his website:

http://www.grandmasterswingchun.com/
      Last edited by wingchunx2z; 8/30/2009 1:50pm, .

Comment

Thanks for the information wingchunx2z. Does GM Swift teach around Tampa? Or does he teach around Orlando?

Comment

Originally posted by jurat13 View Post
          Thanks for the information wingchunx2z. Does GM Swift teach around Tampa? Or does he teach around Orlando?
          GM Swift teaches in oldsmar. It's still basically in tmpa but on the borderline between westchase and oldsmar. If you know where hillsborough is just take that all the way down to race track rd.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
          X