Kahora

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Originally posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Originally posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Comment

Sorry for delay, I'm busy sometimes. :'(
      Well, I though just my familly hates WC/WT because of the Japanese tradition they adopted.
      But more and more ppl tell me to try something else.
      I guess I will.

Comment

Originally posted by kahora View Post
        Sorry for delay, I'm busy sometimes. :'(
        Well, I though just my familly hates WC/WT because of the Japanese tradition they adopted.
        But more and more ppl tell me to try something else.
        I guess I will.
        My concern with WC/WT is that anything it accomplishes, muay thai can accomplish better.
        I know you want a system designed for women, but they dont exist, there are systems that work and those that dont (or not as well), regardless of gender.

what you might be looking for are specific strategies for certain body types from within a working system, for example, Mike Tyson used his shorter reach and height to infight, you would see him basically bob & weave into someone and then uppercut them to death. Klitschko uses his long reach and height to throw punch from a distance, and jabs to keep his opponent away. but both still train boxing in a similar way, they use the same body mechanics and and principals of physics to punch as hard as they can.

Why i recommend muay thai over WC:
        1) punching: MT fighters punch similarly to boxers, they use proper body movement, torque and pivoting when punching, they rely on using your hip instead if arm strength, which some of the girls you train might lack.

2) clinching: regardless if you want to control the head and go for knees (to the groin if you have to), or you decide to use your previous jui-jitsu training, the fact that MT has a big clinching game means they have developed effective ways of striking into a clinch and out of it.

3) kicking: MT is also big on kicking, they teach you the proper way to do it and to hit with your shin, your kyokushin karate training will help you here, and this is very effective against others because you can kick them in the knee and either break it or severly limit your opponents mobility.

So train in muay thai, use the judo aspects of your jui-jitsu (or just take judo) and after getting good at both, do them together and spar MMA style. I know you said you wanted to stay away from sport and want more effective combat, but many who teach you effective deadly street combat end up doing it in drills or patterns, which do not develop reflexes and the lack of sparring might lead to shock if you actually get hit by someone in a confrontational scenario and are not used to getting hit.

so spar under MMA rules, they are as close to real fighting as it can get, you may have specific objectives such as holding your opponent down instead of trying to knock them out, but it should be done under MMA rules which are the minimal rules needed for safety.

Comment

Well you can ignore most of the stuff that guy above me wrote, I mean, kick some person's knee and it will break? Right.... I mean wrong, for you ESL people. Kick some big guy in the knee and your foot bones will break before his knee gets injured.

After doing Kyokushin I found kickboxing and Muay Thai to be very similar and easy to practice. I liked it, but then I'm a 250 LB man. If I was a 100 pounder, I'd carry a very sharp belt buckle knife and learn to use it, and train Judo. I've found that little guys who know Judo get the best of me when we clinch, as they use their lower balance to upset me or throw me.
          "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Comment

i didnt mean break as in "hit by a sledge hammer and broken into 2 pieces", but a clean hard kick to the side of the knee will fuck it up one way or another.

Comment

Well, since I'm a woman and I weight 52 kg with a max on my life, few yrs a go at 57 kg, although I'm 1,71 m tall i wouldn't risk western boxing or muay thai on average men acustomed with fighting.
              I had some success with JJ against exactly because I used stategies to avoid striking tehniques with men.
              My recent line of work requires to explore the possibility of defeating a man quickly and without any curtesy.

I would like to discover that the limitations in fighting a man are related to phisical ones as in any fight. What do you think?
              Did any of you meet a valubale woman on fighting ring?
              Of course not your mother in
              law. ;)
              Last edited by kahora; 9/06/2009 11:23am, .

Comment

Well, since I'm a woman and I weight 52 kg with a max on my life, few yrs a go at 57 kg, although I'm 1,71 m tall i wouldn't risk western boxing or muay thai on average men acustomed with fighting.
                I had some success with JJ against exactly because I used stategies to avoid striking tehniques with men.
                My recent line of work requires to explore the possibility of defeating a man quickly and without any curtesy.

Still Muay thai... low kicks, elbows, knees, and dirty infighting on clinch entry

Comment

I'd say this is your biggest problem;
                  ...That is why I've started to study Wing Tsun starting from the fame that is very eficient for women.
                  ...and this is leading you to think there is some truth in W_ng T_un propaganda regarding it being suitable for woman. In my opinion its stances and punching make it even less suitable for women than men, and only realistically applicable by a big bloke with heavy arms.

My advice : grappling + advantage (weapon?), which it appears you might already be trained in...
                  You could stop looking and just train the bits of what you already have which have proven effective for you.

Just in case I'm being unclear : In my opinion : W_ng T_un will do you NO GOOD and will most likely render you less effective at defending yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Rooster View Post
                    Just in case I'm being unclear : In my opinion : W_ng T_un will do you NO GOOD and will most likely render you less effective at defending yourself.
                    Yesterday I discovered that you are soo right.
                    I think I will never be able to learn wing chun as it seemms to me that it requires a lot of speed, force and, which is not neglectable for me as a woman, the prezumtion that I will still stand if a fist will slip through my sau.
                    I keep that risk under control wisely using ma-ai as in wing tsun I need to close the distance agresivelly. It may work on other girls but I wasn't so naive since as a tennager I tried to brag and my opponent (not so big but bigger then me) simply lifted me with the force of his knee although I blocked it.
                    So I would much prefer to work with ma ai as I studied many years.
                    I cannot believe it is so simple for a wing chun practitioner to keep so close to the opponent. I took me years to really sense ma ai and to get close rapidly and timingly.
                    So, yeah, I started to agree with all of you who are not so happy with my assimilation efforts of wing chun. It seems that art is for another one.
                    Still I am very interested if there are recognized women who fight with wing chun.
                    As for my art I look up to Mega Megu - Megumi Fuji, do any of you know if there is any wing chun women to equal her success?

Comment

Originally posted by Buffman View Post
                      Still Muay thai... low kicks, elbows, knees, and dirty infighting on clinch entry
                      Haha, well I wish I was Gina Carano but she is much stronger then me, I'm just a skinny girl in comparision.
                      Anyhow, I really think that improving my low kicks, elbow and knee technique will help me.
                      Thank you.
                      Oh, my father is gratefull to you guys for having helping me to decide about wing chun.
                      Last edited by kahora; 9/14/2009 4:32am, .

Comment

Wing chun for deffence?Who will attack you 13yo drunk boys?Please watch Bulltube.I always recommend my friends and also my girlfriend:

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                        X