Kahora

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kahora

I grew up with a Japanese Martial Art fanatic, my father. I've been in a lot of competitions, but with few girls competitors so since my 20th aniv. I oriented myself to private mixed competitions. I've travelled a lot and I've made a good living. ;)
    Not for my father delight, of course.
    Now I'm not as dynamic as then, so I retired and I'm amused when my friends and familly are mocking me as the incorporation of Wing Tsun proves to be very complicated for a girl with so many years in a different philosophy and action style.
    So I need to learn as much as I can to search for anything that will help me to prove they are wrong to say I lose my time.

Welcome to bullshido! This is a great place to learn more about people's opinions regarding what types of training/fighting styles are effective.

What type/types of jujutsu do you practice?

Comment

Thank you!
      I've started traditional style with my father.
      He is an high ranked officer so I had several doors open in police training.
      I've completed my work with german jujutsu compilation.
      I've studied Kyokushin too, so I thought I have all I need.
      But I tell you it is not easy to confront real men with all my training. So I felt I need to find something more effective for a women.
      As I no longer rely much on my flexibility, speed, and muscle as I used to.
      I try hard for almost an year now to incorporate Wing Tsun but as for now I don't feel it usefull. It seems ok up until a free fighting when the japanese training pops out.

Comment

I am not a practitioner of any of these arts, but I think many of the seasoned martial artists on this site would recommend Judo, Brazilian Jiu Jutsu, Muy Thai, Wrestling, and Boxing as effective arts to crosstrain in. However, in my opinion strength, speed, and flexibility are really important to, you can't always rely on better technique winning a fight (i.e. Lesnar v. Mir).

Another question is, are you looking for training to help you face people in competitions or in self-defense situations?

Comment

Did I metion that since I was 20 I wasn't present in any official or sport competitions?
          I do protection work, some would say bodyguard but we don't like the term. In this job there are occasions to confront other professionals sometimes for fun, sometimes to prove your employer shield, but allways well payed.
          I've used my skills in private fights. It took me a lot of work to face men, and I've eaten my deal of suffering.
          Now I have to train some new girls and I would like to offer them what I wasn't able to have: a system more suitable for women.
          So I would be interested in free fight efficiency more then a sport fighting with a set of rules.
          Last edited by kahora; 8/05/2009 12:53pm, .

Comment

Welcome to Bullshido. I have no advice, but I'm sure plenty of other Bullies do...

Comment

welcome. it will be cool to hear some of your opinions and training stories.

Comment

Thank you for welcoming me.

Comment

Originally posted by kahora View Post
                  Now I have to train some new girls and I would like to offer them what I wasn't able to have: a system more suitable for women.
                  So I would be interested in free fight efficiency more then a sport fighting with a set of rules.
                  With your German Ju Jutsu background I'd go with the Judo elements of the style + add dirt.

I don't reccomend a striking art for the average woman to fight the average man.

Comment

Well, that is kind of what I did so far. The recipe is: kuzushi, ne waza and mostly shime waza with atemi spice ;) .
                    But there is a price to pay which I would like to learn how to avoid at least for my girls.
                    That is why I've started to study Wing Tsun starting from the fame that is very eficient for women.
                    Do you think as my father do that it's a waist of time if I try to add something as WC considering my background?
                    For now I didn't find easier to apply wc comparing to jj. In fact I fell like I'm losing control if miss or lose the grip.

Comment

Originally posted by kahora View Post
                      Do you think as my father do that it's a waist of time if I try to add something as WC considering my background?
                      Yes. Totally.

Comment

IF you want to add striking to your bag of tricks, I think Boxing or Muy Thai are the best bet (caveat, I don't box or practice Muy Thai, but I am a boxing fan).

Comment

I've heard of others that successfully added wc to their jujutsu skils.
                          I was looking to a sifu Serrano videos and they seemed quite ok.
                          I was wondering if anyone knows more guys on the same direction.

Comment

Personally, I'm not a fan of wing chun, but that probably stems from the fact that I love western boxing. There a several wing chun threads, some of which include imbedded video, on the site. Just click search and type in wing chun.

Comment

Thank you guys!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X