X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt Phillips
    replied
    Originally posted by bigstu31s View Post
    Can't access youtube from work, damn those I.T guys, damn them all to Hell.
    He always reminded me of the guy Jeff Goldblum armwestled in the Fly

Leave a comment:

• bigstu31s
    replied
    Originally posted by War Wheel View Post
    Every time I have heard someone asked how Rickson compares to another player, the answer is always "No comparison, Rickson". I don't know how to answer that besides talking to top people who have rolled with both guys.

For those curious, this is Joe Maffei

YouTube - Joe Maffei: BJJ The kimura
    Can't access youtube from work, damn those I.T guys, damn them all to Hell.

Leave a comment:

• PointyShinyBurn
    replied
    Originally posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Pretty much everyone on that side of the family has always said Rolls was the best.
    Fixed.
    Fixed. Sadly.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Phillips
    replied
    Every time I have heard someone asked how Rickson compares to another player, the answer is always "No comparison, Rickson". I don't know how to answer that besides talking to top people who have rolled with both guys.

For those curious, this is Joe Maffei

YouTube - Joe Maffei: BJJ The kimura

Leave a comment:

• bigstu31s
    replied
    All second hand at best, take with a pinch of salt.
    Pretty much everyone on that side of the family has always said Rickson is the best.
    Sorry to go off topic but how does Ricksons BJJ compare to the likes of Demian Maia and or BJ Penn?

Leave a comment:

• Matt Phillips
    replied
    Pretty much everyone on that side of the family has always said Rolls is the best.
    Fixed.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Phillips
    replied
    Better at BJJ. Royce stayed in the game longer and fought modern fighters. Rickson fought the best Japan could throw at him (at the time). I think their MMA accomplishments are comparable as far as victories go.

Leave a comment:

• PointyShinyBurn
    replied
    Interesting what Vunak said about Rickson Gracie being able to "rip his head off". Whereas he thought he could beat Royce.
    All second hand at best, take with a pinch of salt.
    Was Rickson Gracie really that good?
    Pretty much everyone on that side of the family has always said Rickson is the best.

Leave a comment:

• bigstu31s
    replied
    I just emailed Maffei to get his take on it.

Yes Rickson was about 1000% better than Royce.
    Are we talking just BJJ or MMA?
    I've always respected Royce more in MMA as he fought everyone whereas Rickson seemed to hand pick his fights more so he could remain unbeaten and keep the Rickson myth alive

Leave a comment:

• Matt Phillips
    replied
    I just emailed Maffei to get his take on it.

Yes Rickson was about 1000% better than Royce.

Leave a comment:

• bigstu31s
    replied
    From what I've read about Torrance people were walking in off the street all the time looking for a fight. Far from all of them were videoed and they may not have known or appreciate who he was.

There were also videos, like the Yoji Anjoh beat down, that though they exists still haven't got out in public.
    People who fought them in publicised matches, maybe not. But they may just have kicked his arse in a relatively friendly sparring session.

Googling a bit, I seem to have got the idea from this very forum:
    Paul Vunak: Anatomy of a Streetfight - No BS Martial Arts

Also, people have been having this discussion for a long time:
    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.m...b3b6690aec13c9
    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.m...019c35f2d49b2a
    Interesting what Vunak said about Rickson Gracie being able to "rip his head off". Whereas he thought he could beat Royce. Was Rickson Gracie really that good?

Leave a comment:

• PointyShinyBurn
    replied
    First of all, they would have used the video (there was always video). Paul was pretty famous,
    From what I've read about Torrance people were walking in off the street all the time looking for a fight. Far from all of them were videoed and they may not have known or appreciate who he was.

There were also videos, like the Yoji Anjoh beat down, that though they exists still haven't got out in public.
    second I don't recall them ever teaching GJJ to someone who fought them in the past,
    People who fought them in publicised matches, maybe not. But they may just have kicked his arse in a relatively friendly sparring session.

Googling a bit, I seem to have got the idea from this very forum:
    Paul Vunak: Anatomy of a Streetfight - No BS Martial Arts

Also, people have been having this discussion for a long time:
    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.m...b3b6690aec13c9
    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.m...019c35f2d49b2a

Leave a comment:

• Matt Phillips
    replied
    Why not, out of interest?
    First of all, they would have used the video (there was always video). Paul was pretty famous, second I don't recall them ever teaching GJJ to someone who fought them in the past, and thirdly it would have made a great story and I probably would have heard it from my teacher.

That's why I think its not plausible.

Leave a comment:

• PointyShinyBurn
    replied
    Ha ha. My disbelief was over the idea that Vunak ever answered the Gracie Challenge. Not plausible.
    Why not, out of interest?

Leave a comment:

• Matt Phillips
    replied
    "teh r3al" means "the real" as in the one, the true, the authentic. Its spelled in a geeky style to give it that extra edge of wishful thinking and fantasy.

Usage: Taijutusu has teh r34l d34dly.
    Translation: I am a keyboard warrior who plays Ronnins & Randori and sneaks around suburbia wearing tabbi boots. Fear me.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X