JKD - what is people's opinion of this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by War Wheel View Post
    Don't forget the Chuck Norris people. They got it early too.
    Anyone know who turned Vunak onto Rickson? I never got that part.
    Ah yes ... I understand that Chuck was quite a big proponent of it early on. He trained with the Machados didn't he?

Comment

Originally posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
      If Vunak ever answered the Gracie Challenge, I think the winner would let it be known. It would be a chance for the Gracies to try to shoot down JKD as a superior fighting art and create more interest towards GJJ. Or in the event that Vunak won, he would use it as an opportunity to say that his JKD is teh r3al. Neither of these seems to have happened.
      The best evidence that Vu never answered the Gracie challenge is that Royce still has his nipples.

Comment

Originally posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
        If Vunak ever answered the Gracie Challenge, I think the winner would let it be known. It would be a chance for the Gracies to try to shoot down JKD as a superior fighting art and create more interest towards GJJ. Or in the event that Vunak won, he would use it as an opportunity to say that his JKD is teh r3al. Neither of these seems to have happened.

excuse my ignorance but what does "teh r3al" mean. I keep seeing posts with letters and number mixed up

Comment

"teh r3al" means "the real" as in the one, the true, the authentic. Its spelled in a geeky style to give it that extra edge of wishful thinking and fantasy.

Usage: Taijutusu has teh r34l d34dly.
          Translation: I am a keyboard warrior who plays Ronnins & Randori and sneaks around suburbia wearing tabbi boots. Fear me.
          Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
          Luta Livre flees the fight,
          Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
          Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Comment

Ha ha. My disbelief was over the idea that Vunak ever answered the Gracie Challenge. Not plausible.
            Why not, out of interest?

Comment

Originally posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
              Why not, out of interest?
              First of all, they would have used the video (there was always video). Paul was pretty famous, second I don't recall them ever teaching GJJ to someone who fought them in the past, and thirdly it would have made a great story and I probably would have heard it from my teacher.

That's why I think its not plausible.

Comment

First of all, they would have used the video (there was always video). Paul was pretty famous,
                From what I've read about Torrance people were walking in off the street all the time looking for a fight. Far from all of them were videoed and they may not have known or appreciate who he was.

There were also videos, like the Yoji Anjoh beat down, that though they exists still haven't got out in public.
                second I don't recall them ever teaching GJJ to someone who fought them in the past,
                People who fought them in publicised matches, maybe not. But they may just have kicked his arse in a relatively friendly sparring session.

Googling a bit, I seem to have got the idea from this very forum:
                Paul Vunak: Anatomy of a Streetfight - No BS Martial Arts

Also, people have been having this discussion for a long time:
                http://groups.google.com/group/rec.m...b3b6690aec13c9
                http://groups.google.com/group/rec.m...019c35f2d49b2a

Comment

From what I've read about Torrance people were walking in off the street all the time looking for a fight. Far from all of them were videoed and they may not have known or appreciate who he was.

There were also videos, like the Yoji Anjoh beat down, that though they exists still haven't got out in public.
                  People who fought them in publicised matches, maybe not. But they may just have kicked his arse in a relatively friendly sparring session.

Googling a bit, I seem to have got the idea from this very forum:
                  Paul Vunak: Anatomy of a Streetfight - No BS Martial Arts

Also, people have been having this discussion for a long time:
                  http://groups.google.com/group/rec.m...b3b6690aec13c9
                  http://groups.google.com/group/rec.m...019c35f2d49b2a
                  Interesting what Vunak said about Rickson Gracie being able to "rip his head off". Whereas he thought he could beat Royce. Was Rickson Gracie really that good?

Comment

I just emailed Maffei to get his take on it.

Yes Rickson was about 1000% better than Royce.

Comment

I just emailed Maffei to get his take on it.

Yes Rickson was about 1000% better than Royce.
                      Are we talking just BJJ or MMA?
                      I've always respected Royce more in MMA as he fought everyone whereas Rickson seemed to hand pick his fights more so he could remain unbeaten and keep the Rickson myth alive

Comment

Originally posted by bigstu31s View Post
                        Interesting what Vunak said about Rickson Gracie being able to "rip his head off". Whereas he thought he could beat Royce.
                        All second hand at best, take with a pinch of salt.
                        Originally posted by bigstu31s View Post
                        Was Rickson Gracie really that good?
                        Pretty much everyone on that side of the family has always said Rickson is the best.

Comment

Better at BJJ. Royce stayed in the game longer and fought modern fighters. Rickson fought the best Japan could throw at him (at the time). I think their MMA accomplishments are comparable as far as victories go.

Comment

Pretty much everyone on that side of the family has always said Rolls is the best.
                            Fixed.

Comment

All second hand at best, take with a pinch of salt.
                              Pretty much everyone on that side of the family has always said Rickson is the best.
                              Sorry to go off topic but how does Ricksons BJJ compare to the likes of Demian Maia and or BJ Penn?

Comment

Every time I have heard someone asked how Rickson compares to another player, the answer is always "No comparison, Rickson". I don't know how to answer that besides talking to top people who have rolled with both guys.

For those curious, this is Joe Maffei

YouTube - Joe Maffei: BJJ The kimura

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X