JKD - what is people's opinion of this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by selfcritical View Post
    They should have invited Gokor. My money is that he would have Heel-hooked the shit out of Royce.
    I agree!
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Comment

JKD, just like anything, can be exactly as good as it is trained.

I personally think Bruce Lee's importance to MMA is overstated, but that might be a backlash to all the people who still seriously believe him to be the best fighter ever.

YouTube - Bruce Lee Sparring Footage by Bullshido.net

We all know that video, and near as I can tell JKD wasn't anything too terribly special back then.

Comment

Originally posted by War Wheel View Post
        Don't quote me, but I think Vunak was probably an advanced Blue at the time. My instructor started with a Rickson just after Paul, and was a blue in 1993.

Here's something he posted about it on another board.:

From http://stickgrappler.tripod.com/ug/jmvu3.html
        VERY cool stuff...

And advanced blue is probably right. Seems like the Gracies were probably keeping people at blue for a shitload of a long time back then. I've read that they're still fairly stringent about promoting to purple, but at least at the Academy, they seem to be handing out blue belts like candy these days.

I'm moving to LA soon. I have a Karate background, but I'm planning to train with the Dog Brothers and also work towards my blue belt at 10th Planet in Burbank my first year and then try to get in with Eddie Bravo at Legends.

Sounds like you're around the LA/OC area?

Comment

Originally posted by Stick & Submit View Post
          Sounds like you're around the LA/OC area?
          Nope, Boston. Maffei's gym was in Waltham, MA.

Comment

I'm sorry but I don't buy this. Nothing stopped Paulson, David Hood, and Todd Medina from putting their ass on the line.

The UFC was not percieved as a "freak show" back then. IIRC the top purses in the early UFC's were around $100,000. That's still good money.
            Maybe I am wrong... but I am pretty sure the purse was 50k, and that was for thewinnr of the entire tourney. And I, and almost all of my martial arts associates, considered it a freak show back then. Not in a bad way necessarily, but in a one-of-a-kind entertainment sorta thing.

I don't know the rest of the guys you mentioned but Paulson had to sacrifice a lot to fight. More than any of the modern day MA fighters have to... and I think it is that next level that kept alot of guys back then from going pro. *shrug*

Comment

You're right that the 1st tourney paid $50k. The second paid $100K. I guess different people viewed it differently back them. The (JKD) gym I was at was very BJJ oriented, very pro-Gracie, and did not view it as anything but t3h g00d.

Comment

You're right that the 1st tourney paid $50k. The second paid $100K. I guess different people viewed it differently back them. The (JKD) gym I was at was very BJJ oriented, very pro-Gracie, and did not view it as anything but t3h g00d.
                Actually, seems like just about everyone from the Concepts branch has completely embraced BJJ. Certainly the Dog Brothers were also doing it with the Machados before the UFC as well...

Comment

They should have invited Gokor. My money is that he would have Heel-hooked the shit out of Royce.
                  That's precisely why they didn't invite Gokor -- or anyone who had a real clue about submission groundwork at that time. The early UFCs were Rorion Gracie's marketing of GJJ, nothing more. It's why Royce ducked Severn in UFC 5.

Comment

Originally posted by Res Judicata View Post
                    That's precisely why they didn't invite Gokor -- or anyone who had a real clue about submission groundwork at that time.
                    Ken Shamrock is puzzled by your nonsense. Christophe Leininger and Remco Pardoel also don't quite understand and request that you clarify your point.

While they may or may not have invited certain people it was an open application process and I've never heard a plausible story about competent fighters getting turned down.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick & Submit View Post
                      Actually, seems like just about everyone from the Concepts branch has completely embraced BJJ. Certainly the Dog Brothers were also doing it with the Machados before the UFC as well...
                      Don't forget the Chuck Norris people. They got it early too.
                      Anyone know who turned Vunak onto Rickson? I never got that part.

Comment

I think he just heard of and took the Gracie Challenge, and learned his lesson up on getting whooped.

Comment

I think he just heard of and took the Gracie Challenge, and learned his lesson up on getting whooped.
                          Say what?

Comment

Say what?
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gracie_challenge

Comment

Ha ha. My disbelief was over the idea that Vunak ever answered the Gracie Challenge. Not plausible.

Comment

If Vunak ever answered the Gracie Challenge, I think the winner would let it be known. It would be a chance for the Gracies to try to shoot down JKD as a superior fighting art and create more interest towards GJJ. Or in the event that Vunak won, he would use it as an opportunity to say that his JKD is teh r3al. Neither of these seems to have happened.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X