Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What doesn't suck?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by syberia View Post
    Nothing doesn't suck. According to Omega, anyway.

    But seriously. Look for some Judo, Mai Thuay or maybe a decent Shotokan school.

    Depends what in your area, man.


    I hope you're joking here. I really do.
    I'm refering to Segal's film characters more than the actual man himself

    Comment


      #17
      I consider myself last in expertise among the members of this site but there are approximately 10 mazillion-googol-garillion threads on this subject already and I will summarize them for you.

      What you will eventually be told is that any martial art has the potential to be useful if your training involves actual sparring or fighting with actual people who are actually trying to beat you while you are both wearing as little protective gear as possible. If you take Muay Thai, and all you do is punch the air, then it will suck. If you take Aikido, and you spend half your class developing your technique by sparring as I described, you might be onto something.

      Hint: The instructor just beating the crap out of you for an hour with no instruction taking place is not useful sparring.

      Martial arts that are generally respected on Bullshido: Boxing, Muay Thai, wrestling (folkstyle, freestyle, Greco-Roman), BJJ, Sambo, Judo, Kyokushin karate and its derivatives (Ashihara, Enshin).

      Hint: MMA is not a martial art.

      Martial arts that are generally disrespected on Bullshido: TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, Ninjitsu, any martial art that has existed for like five years and has a single founder who has mastered and combined 50 other martial arts into one devastating system, any martial art that is based on Real Life Gutter Fighting that will allow you to defeat any man using a few simple techniques that the CIA doesn't want you to know about, and any martial art that makes you bulletproof or is based on hypnotism.

      Other martial arts are in the middle somewhere.

      Hint: There is no chi.

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by madrigan View Post
        I consider myself last in expertise among the members of this site but there are approximately 10 mazillion-googol-garillion threads on this subject already and I will summarize them for you.

        What you will eventually be told is that any martial art has the potential to be useful if your training involves actual sparring or fighting with actual people who are actually trying to beat you while you are both wearing as little protective gear as possible. If you take Muay Thai, and all you do is punch the air, then it will suck. If you take Aikido, and you spend half your class developing your technique by sparring as I described, you might be onto something.

        Hint: The instructor just beating the crap out of you for an hour with no instruction taking place is not useful sparring.

        Martial arts that are generally respected on Bullshido: Boxing, Muay Thai, wrestling (folkstyle, freestyle, Greco-Roman), BJJ, Sambo, Judo, Kyokushin karate and its derivatives (Ashihara, Enshin).

        Hint: MMA is not a martial art.

        Martial arts that are generally disrespected on Bullshido: TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, Ninjitsu, any martial art that has existed for like five years and has a single founder who has mastered and combined 50 other martial arts into one devastating system, any martial art that is based on Real Life Gutter Fighting that will allow you to defeat any man using a few simple techniques that the CIA doesn't want you to know about, and any martial art that makes you bulletproof or is based on hypnotism.

        Other martial arts are in the middle somewhere.

        Hint: There is no chi.

        Many thanks for the post. I guess I also wanted to know where the likes of Wing Chun, Aikido, Taekwondo went wrong. Whenever Taekwondo was invented it must have been goood for something. I took a class in Taekwondo once and they did spar but they didn't like it when I closed the distance on them and started raining down punches on them. At somepoint TKD must have had some decent punching and or grappling or TKD must have been used with another MA, maybe Hapkido to make it a complete style

        Comment


          #19
          Leth Wei fighters and FMA Dog Bro's style doesn't suck. Those people make me cringe. Their techinque is often shitty, but it's certainly brimming with aliveness. I just think they are insane - plus I have to go to work most days, so broken fingers etc. just won't go for me.

          So I study Dim Mak and Yellow Bamboo - I've never even had to sweat or strain, yet I can chi blast like a mufukka.
          "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln



          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by tao.jonez View Post
            Leth Wei fighters and FMA Dog Bro's style doesn't suck. Those people make me cringe. Their techinque is often shitty, but it's certainly brimming with aliveness. I just think they are insane - plus I have to go to work most days, so broken fingers etc. just won't go for me.

            So I study Dim Mak and Yellow Bamboo - I've never even had to sweat or strain, yet I can chi blast like a mufukka.
            Keep puffing away on your bong dude

            Comment


              #21
              Learn some grapplomagicks to subdue thine enemies.

              Comment


                #22
                And having grapplomagicks against someone who doesn't have them is like using mountainwalk against an opponent with a goblin deck.

                Comment


                  #23
                  *tah* But that takes effort! Can’t we just find out what’s wrong with whatever TMA I’m already taking so I can magically be awesome?

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
                    And having grapplomagicks against someone who doesn't have them is like using mountainwalk against an opponent with a goblin deck.

                    People who have sideboarded mountainwalkers are assholes, plain (or should I say plains lololol) and simple.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by MrBadGuy View Post
                      People who have sideboarded mountainwalkers are assholes, plain (or should I say plains lololol) and simple.
                      Slivers too.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Have you been stalking me?

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by Horus View Post
                          Stabbing someone with a spear
                          300 Spartans can't be wrong...
                          Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

                          Gandhi

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by sochin101 View Post
                            300 Spartans can't be wrong...
                            ... but they can be dead. Amirite? :dead:
                            Originally posted by Nicko1
                            Martial Talk is not neutral, it's just neutered.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by sochin101 View Post
                              300 Spartans can't be wrong...
                              Didn't 299 of them die? And the other one was blinded?

                              A dead badass is still dead.
                              "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln



                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by bigstu31s View Post
                                Many thanks for the post. I guess I also wanted to know where the likes of Wing Chun, Aikido, Taekwondo went wrong. Whenever Taekwondo was invented it must have been goood for something. I took a class in Taekwondo once and they did spar but they didn't like it when I closed the distance on them and started raining down punches on them. At somepoint TKD must have had some decent punching and or grappling or TKD must have been used with another MA, maybe Hapkido to make it a complete style
                                Not all martial arts were designed to be complete, or for combat, strictly speaking. In North America, TKD is primarily a sport. That doesn't mean it's completely useless, but as you noted it is not usually trained in such a way that most people would be able to use it in a fight. I've read that Korean soldiers train in some really badass version of TKD, but I don't know if that's true.

                                Where Wing Chun is viewed with disdain it is because its techniques are considered archaic and inflexible, and because of the mismatch between the claims made for the style -- that it was designed by a smaller person to defeat larger people and therefore that it is ideal for self-defense, and that Bruce Lee used it so it is automatically awesome -- and the reality of how it is trained.

                                There are many forms of Aikido, but as practiced in the United States it seems to be primarily concerned with the physical expression of a religious ideal rather than with fighting. Some Aikido practitioners -- and here I'm just referring to comments I've seen online, not to some scientific study of all Aikido students -- seem to have a moral objection to the ideas of aggression, fighting, or sparring. Because of this, in general, Aikido training does not get respect from people who feel that the martial arts are for fighting, which includes most people who post on Bullshido.

                                Comment

                                Collapse

                                Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                                Working...
                                X