wtf is with this fma titles?!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wtf is with this fma titles?!!!

i dunno about you but i cringe when i see/hear someone referred as DATU or PUNONG-GURO. yup, it denotes someone of high rank, but there are some linguistical nuances my pilipino(that's the spelling they insist on) friends taught me.

datu is the ruler of a 'baranggay'(village) back in the old,old days when they(pilipinos) were still pagans/animists. now, village-wise, you are supposed to hold control over your people(men, women, slaves, chickens, cows, and whathavenot).

now it is used as title for a fma instructor. due to the lack of school-sounding titles(soke, shihan, etc.) they now use words that are equivalent to SHOGUN or DAIMYO. jeez.

now, punong-guro is another matter. comes from two words 'pinuno'(leader) and 'guro'(teacher). so it is appropriate. but not in the day-to-day filipino(that's the language, see the spelling?). if someone told you(as a child) that the punong-guro wants to see you, you'd better sweat. cuz that means you get sent to the principal's office. that's right, most pilipinos equate punong guro as principal because that is the official title.

now here come this white guy who's being announced as 'punong-guro blah-blah' and most will ask: are you schoolteachers?

or worse, come as a datu and get snickering jokes behind your back, courtesy of this short-running series on their tv that portrays pagan chief villain against the christian-don hero. jeez...

I've personally never seen the need, or had the want, of a title loftier than "guro". It says everything I care to have said about my martial practice, namely that I teach people.

Anything after that is determined purely by time spent on the training floor with me.

How good a teacher am I? Train with me, and you will know.
    How good a practitioner am I? Train with me, and you will know.

I don't want to hear "master" or "professor" or "grandmaster" (titles all of which make my teeth itch just thinking about them) coming anywhere near my name. At best they're distractions, and at worst they're subterfuge.

As my guro once said, upon jokingly being willing to award people with a camouflage belt and the title of Pope: "this title, like any other title, in no way guarantees quality."

Comment

'siling labuyo'? lemme add some tabasco on that...

anyways, i better like the late antonio illustrisimo's title better: TATANG, which can mean old man or respected grandfather depending on how you use it.

Comment

My instructor has so many friggin titles its ridiculous. He goes by Jim.

Comment

What does 'Tuton' mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Bustardo View Post
            My instructor has so many friggin titles its ridiculous. He goes by Jim.
            If I don't refer to my instructor as, "master" "soke" or, "Proffessor, master of almightyness" he arm bars me :(

(kidding, of course)

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
            http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Originally posted by Cy Q. Faunce
            3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Originally posted by sochin101
            I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
            That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
            Originally posted by HappyOldGuy
            I agree with moosey

Comment

My instructor demands to be called "The Grand Wizard of Grapplomancy".

Comment

Originally posted by Da Pope View Post
                What does 'Tuton' mean?
                I've never heard of "Tuton" (other than as a member of a particular Germanic tribe), but "Tuhon" is, IIRC, a war-chief.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili Pepper View Post
                  I've never heard of "Tuton" (other than as a member of a particular Germanic tribe), but "Tuhon" is, IIRC, a war-chief.
                  iirc, that's correct, but most of my friends here who are not that familiar with fma doesn't even know the term, and these guys are pilipinos! hehe

Comment

Originally posted by lockfield View Post
                    iirc, that's correct, but most of my friends here who are not that familiar with fma doesn't even know the term, and these guys are pilipinos! hehe
                    If you mention 'kancho' to a japanese person, they think you are talking about a suppository, that's not a good example though, because most kancho are.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoj View Post
                      If you mention 'kancho' to a japanese person, they think you are talking about a suppository, that's not a good example though, because most kancho are.
                      ha? all of the japanese i've met(usually businessmen and their families) know that kancho is the head honcho,i.e. the company president. maybe you're pronouncing it wrong?

try budo! go there and say, i'm came here for budo, they'll look at you and say, you like our grapes?:toothy2:

Comment

Originally posted by MrBadGuy View Post
                        My instructor demands to be called "The Grand Wizard of Grapplomancy".

OMG, that's awesome; it should be a comic book or something!

Comment

Originally posted by lockfield View Post
                          ha? all of the japanese i've met(usually businessmen and their families) know that kancho is the head honcho,i.e. the company president. maybe you're pronouncing it wrong?

try budo! go there and say, i'm came here for budo, they'll look at you and say, you like our grapes?:toothy2:
                          Yep, i probably was, i was young and was less educated in the language, but i bet i still knew more at that time than said 'kancho' about japanese. At around the same time ther was an ad for a club in a national mag for a club, the kanji according to my japanes g/f read 'bijutsu', the art of painting, kick ass.

Comment

The filipinas I've met with no martial arts background use the term profesor, pronounced the same as in Spanish. I like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili Pepper View Post

LOL yeah sorry my bad typed it in wrong. I meant 'Tuhon'. Thanks

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X