No announcement yet.

wtf is with this fma titles?!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought the language spoken in the Philipines was Tagalog. I have no real experience with FMAs, the region, or the people. Am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by vile_zoidberg View Post
      I thought the language spoken in the Philipines was Tagalog. I have no real experience with FMAs, the region, or the people. Am I missing something?
      That's true for the most part. However, there's lots of Spanish influence. When I hear tagalog spoken I'm able to pick out a lot of Spanish words "profesor", for example.

Comment

...so Tagalog is like a base language, and Filipino is a dialect?

Comment

Tagalog is the language, Filipino is the culture.

Comment

Originally posted by lockfield View Post
            so it is appropriate. but not in the day-to-day filipino(that's the language, see the spelling?).
            I'm confused. You say Filipino is the culture, but this guys says it's the language. Is his grammar retardation seeping into his facts?

Comment

...so Tagalog is like a base language, and Filipino is a dialect?
              No. Tagalog is a language that has loanwords and content from both local Filippino vernacular languages and Spanish, due to colonial influence. In other words, Tagalog had some of its own stuff, ate some other languages and had Spanish for garnishing.

I'm confused. You say Filipino is the culture, but this guys says it's the language. Is his grammar retardation seeping into his facts?
              Chances are when someone says 'Filippino' or 'Pilippino' (as it's pronounced in Tagalog) they mean 'Tagalog'.
              Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
              Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Comment

As a student of Japanese I find it grating the way martialists masturbate over 'sensei', like sensei has some spiritual bond or metaphysical power to it that the word only half-conveys. "I.... AM.... SENSEI!!!!"

Sensei is a teacher. That's all. I've had many senseis. At school. I'm not going to call you sensei like it's something awesome, 'cause I know plenty of crotchety old ladies who go by the same title, Mr Karate.
                Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.

Comment

A thank you is in order for both Codos and Socratic.

Thank you for allowing me a small sip from your fountain of knowledge, so that I may quench my thirst of ignorance.

Comment

A thank you is in order for both Codos and Socratic.

Thank you for allowing me a small sip from your fountain of knowledge, so that I may quench my thirst of ignorance.
                    It's cool. I had a lecture or two on Tagalog once.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBadGuy View Post
                      My instructor demands to be called "The Grand Wizard of Grapplomancy".

Grapplomancy = the ancient art of knowing the future via fractures in a defeated opponents arm. (srsly)

"And Kano, the Lord Uchi and the Lord of Mata, forbade his children to act as the heathens do. "

Comment

Some people claim to speak American or Mexican instead of English and Spanish, and they're not exactly wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by socratic View Post
                          No. Tagalog is a language that has loanwords and content from both local Filippino vernacular languages and Spanish, due to colonial influence. In other words, Tagalog had some of its own stuff, ate some other languages and had Spanish for garnishing.

Chances are when someone says 'Filippino' or 'Pilippino' (as it's pronounced in Tagalog) they mean 'Tagalog'.

by the virtue of most of my friends here(almost all are pilipinos) they are taught in school:

pilipino- a person of the philippines
                          pilipina- woman pilipino
                          filipina- preferred pronunciation of pilipina, cuz it's more delicate
                          pinoy- slang term, just like 'brits' for the british
                          pinay- 'pinoy' for ladies
                          FILIPINO- their recognized language, derived from dialects such as tagalog, bisaya, illongo, etc. including their native 'gay lingo'. (hey languages evolve right?)
                          tagalog- main dialect of central luzon area.

hopes this helps.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                          X