Breaking A Mentality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breaking A Mentality

I have a question for a lot of you guys out there who have moved out of a point sparring system. At the start of the summer I changed schools from Tae Kwon Do to Karate Do Shotokai. And the biggest thing that has been holding me back is that my body is trained to react and behave like a point fighter. I have a horrible lean on my kicks and not much power in a lot of my techniques along with some other really bad habits that I've developed over the years; however, I'm quick, and I've been complimented on my reaction time. Any suggestions for breaking out of the "point sparring" mentality?

Spar. Hard. Lots. Frequently.

:)

Comment

Originally posted by Keeze View Post
      I have a question for a lot of you guys out there who have moved out of a point sparring system. At the start of the summer I changed schools from Tae Kwon Do to Karate Do Shotokai. And the biggest thing that has been holding me back is that my body is trained to react and behave like a point fighter. I have a horrible lean on my kicks and not much power in a lot of my techniques along with some other really bad habits that I've developed over the years; however, I'm quick, and I've been complimented on my reaction time. Any suggestions for breaking out of the "point sparring" mentality?
      Keep your guard correct and don't turn your head when you actually get hit with force.

Comment

The sparring thing: lots of that. Also, do pad work & focus on your power generation more then your speed.

Comment

I grew up doing karate. Point sparring is good for little kids because it is a lot safer then 'round' sparring. But this bad habit of being fast without power is something seen alot among point sparring folk. I was guilty of it myself for the longest time. The only way to break this is to not point spar.

Comment

It'll come with time. Just practise your punches and kicks for power and penetration before you do too much sparring, otherwise you might just reinforce old habits (if you win you matches). I moved from point based Shotokan to Shotokai last year so I know exactly how you feel.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
            X