Hello from New Jersey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from New Jersey

Hello all, great forum you have here. Just to get this out of the way, I read all of the "read me" posts, but only after picking my user name. As a result, I was blissfully unaware at said time of choosing that combining things with "Jutsu" is, apparently, no longer funny. Mea Culpa.

But to cut to the proverbial chase, I am starting to become interested in MMA. Not so much watching as doing. I was having a conversation recently with a couple of guys who did it and it sounded intriguing. So I figured I'd sign up and post and hopefully get some opinions on what to start out with and where.

Some details about me and what I'm looking for: I'm a 32 year old computer programmer who hasn't been in a fight since high school, and frankly I'm a complete pussy. Now, I don't think that studying BJJ or Krav Maga or what the hell ever is going to make me into a totally awesome ass-kicking stud muffin, but I figure taking a recreational beating here and there would probably go a long way to making me not quite such a chickenshit. Plus, I need the damn exercise. Apparently beer isn't the weight-loss product I always thought it was.

I thought about boxing, and I know that will be a suggestion, but for whatever reason it just doesn't hold a lot of appeal for me. Not that I'm discounting it, I'm just thinking I probably don't want to start there. Also not terribly interested in any "mystical lost arts of the sacred Chi taught by ancient Shaolin warriors" or any of that stuff. I also don't particularly care for playing dress-up.

So anyway, that's what I'm looking for and why I'm here. This seemed like the right sort of place to find the sort of advice I'm looking for. Or abuse. One of the two. Looking forward to any suggestions.

Welcome to Bullshido. Good luck with that username :)

Actually, I think you can request a username change, look in the small print on the link-bar at the top of the page.

I have similar bio to you, and I was 32 when I started Muay Thai. Lost beer-weight very quickly, got into shape, feel brill and now am asst. instructor at my gym. Best decision I made in years and one I wish I'd taken sooner.

Good luck picking a style. Something to consider when looking around, try a few different things at few different gyms and see what feels right for you. Good "MMA" gyms will offer JJ/BJJ, Muay Thai, Judo, MMA. See what works!

Comment

Ha, thanks! I guess I'll see how much flak I catch first.

Comment

why would you catch flak? i think you fit in just fine here. you're into beer, computers, and fighting. you admit you're a pussy and a chickenshit, and you're neither a LARPer nor mystical twat. now find yourself a school and get punched in the face. you'll like it.

Comment

Ok, I was off looking for schools in my area - Has anyone heard of Alex Wilkie's Martial Arts Academy (http://www.alexwilkiemma.com/)? I searched but nothing came up here.

Also, is the difference between Gi and No-Gi really just the Gi or does it imply some other subtle difference?

Comment

ah, your search-fu is weak, grasshopper. actually, the search function here blows. i google names and include 'bullshido' in searches. it works mo' bettah.

here's a thread where this guy was discussed - your opinions please - No BS Martial Arts

looking at his website, there are quite a few major red flags. on the other hand, he does seem to have a legit purple belt at least in gjj, and he has an active full-contact fight team. i'd go check it out, talk to some of the guys who train there. good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerJutsu View Post
              Also, is the difference between Gi and No-Gi really just the Gi or does it imply some other subtle difference?
              grips and sweatiness. and the ruleset, if you're into competing.

Comment

Cool, thanks for your help and the search tip. It looks like the digested truth is that nobody's posted any actual experiences and his website sucks, but he's at least legit in BJJ even though he's a little low rent.

I'll go check him out. Price is right and he's in my backyard, so we'll see.

Thanks again.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                X