X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• edtang
    replied
    Originally posted by lionknight View Post
    You ever wear a jacket? A loose fitting shirt? Hell for a lot of gi chokes I can take my belt and make them work... real world skills is "wear" you find them.

As long as the training is good you will get just as much out of either gi or no-gi IMHO.
    ^^ Read this and if you don't understand it, ask for clarification. No gi is not more applicable for "real world" than gi.

Leave a comment:

• lionknight
    replied
    Originally posted by Portillo View Post
    Im not really interested in mma, bjj or no gi grappling competition. Just interested in some real world skills, and to keep my mind busy. ATM all i do is bodybuilding and strength training. Id rather just wear the MMA shorts than the GI.

You ever wear a jacket? A loose fitting shirt? Hell for a lot of gi chokes I can take my belt and make them work... real world skills is "wear" you find them.

As long as the training is good you will get just as much out of either gi or no-gi IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• Portillo
    replied
    Originally posted by edtang View Post
    Even Eddie Bravo, Mr No Gi himself, prefers training in a Gi. Just about all of the BBs from Brazil insist that you will be more technical if you slow down and start in the Gi first.

Oh well, your loss!
    Im not really interested in mma, bjj or no gi grappling competition. Just interested in some real world skills, and to keep my mind busy. ATM all i do is bodybuilding and strength training. Id rather just wear the MMA shorts than the GI.

Leave a comment:

• lionknight
    replied
    I saw that he said he preferred gi specifically in the last issue of whatever magazine budovideos.com sends out with their orders (it came with, coincidentally, my new Gi). it was on a page where they asked all sorts of grapplers and fighters what they preferred. If I was mistaken or misinterpreted it, then of course I apologize, but I distinctly remember Eddie Bravo's answer because it did strike me as odd.

I might be wrong here but... I beleive Eddie prefers Gi pants as opposed to shorts, I remember that from somewhere, but not really sure where.

Leave a comment:

• edtang
    replied
    Originally posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Umm.. no he doesn't. He's rather loudly of the opinion that training all no-gi is better for performance in MMA and no-gi grappling.
    I saw that he said he preferred gi specifically in the last issue of whatever magazine budovideos.com sends out with their orders (it came with, coincidentally, my new Gi). it was on a page where they asked all sorts of grapplers and fighters what they preferred. If I was mistaken or misinterpreted it, then of course I apologize, but I distinctly remember Eddie Bravo's answer because it did strike me as odd.

Leave a comment:

• PointyShinyBurn
    replied
    Even Eddie Bravo, Mr No Gi himself, prefers training in a Gi.
    Umm.. no he doesn't. He's rather loudly of the opinion that training all no-gi is better for performance in MMA and no-gi grappling.

Just about all of the BBs from Brazil insist that you will be more technical if you slow down and start in the Gi first.
    That they do tend to.

Leave a comment:

• edtang
    replied
    Even Eddie Bravo, Mr No Gi himself, prefers training in a Gi. Just about all of the BBs from Brazil insist that you will be more technical if you slow down and start in the Gi first.

Oh well, your loss!

Leave a comment:

• PointyShinyBurn
    replied
    Originally posted by Portillo View Post
    A Gracie Barra guy opened a BJJ place in my neighbourhood, but i dont really wanna do GI.
    Why not? Training Gi BJJ is going to make you a lot better at no-gi than not training at all.

Leave a comment:

• Portillo
    replied
    A Gracie Barra guy opened a BJJ place in my neighbourhood, but i dont really wanna do GI.

http://graciebarrablacktown.com/?page_id=49

Leave a comment:

• Yojimbo1717
    replied
    I recall reading that Frank Mir promoted someone to a black belt in no gi BJJ. Generally it's pretty rare though.

Frank Mir Promotes Guy to Black Belt in No-gi? - No BS Martial Arts

Leave a comment:

• Portillo
    replied
    ^ Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• PointyShinyBurn
    replied
    Some well known coaches like Chris Brennan and Eddie Bravo will promote people who only do no-gi, but many won't because they consider gi training an integral part of BJJ.

Leave a comment:

• Portillo
    started a topic No Gi promotion in BJJ

No Gi promotion in BJJ

I was just wondering if it was true that you cant get promoted in BJJ if you only do No Gi BJJ. What is the reason behind this? Is it cause of tradition?

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X