Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dubai Dilemma

Greetings,
    I've lurked and laughed on this forum for a while now; today seemed like a good day to make myself known. Hello, all y'all.
    Even though my nick says ITGLondon, I'm no longer in damp and dreary London. I've moved to hot and sandy Dubai.
    I used to train Krav Maga in London which slowly mutated into more or less MMA, with specific boxing and ground-fighting training alongside the KM.
    Since moving to the sandlands I've started training in Pekiit-Tirsia Kali, on the basis of a vague sense of "it seems legit" gleaned from trawling many bullshido threads discussing PKT and FMA in general.
    Now I find out that there's another club here training Daido Juku Kudo, courtesy this bullshido thread.
    Herein lies the eponymous dilemma - I'm enjoying PKT, but so far i'm finding it pretty darn different from my previous training - i like the weapons and the footwork, etc, but the almost exclusive emphasis on hammerfist strikes and the fact that it just doesn't provide enough conditioning or tire me out is leaving me slightly skeptical. Of course, I'm fully aware that having trained for just over a month, I'm really in no position to judge. Which is why I'm asking you guys.

How would one compare Daido Juku Kudo and Pekiti-Tirsia Kali? How would you guys approach this issue?

Thanks for hearing a n00b out. Peace.

Goddamit, I was told someone would pretend to care!

Comment

If you have access to a car, forget about daido juku kudo and PKT and instead, sign up to train here:

Abu Dhabi Combat Club
      P.O.Box 5151
      Abu Dhabi , U.A.E.
      Phone : 00971-2-65586

http://www.adcombat.net/adnet/wrestl...sp?AID=21&pt=2

Granted, it's in Abu Dhabi and not Dubai, but it shouldn't be more than an hour drive no matter where in Dubai you are. If you don't have a car, though, good luck with daido juku kudo and/or PKT...

Comment

Hemant,
        Thanks. Will check them out. Don't know if its feasible to commute for two hours a day (I have to come back after training!) but at the very least thanks for alleviating my palpable sense of rejection and loneliness by responding to my post :-)

Comment

I mean this in the nicest possible way: if you have the chance to do Daido Juku and don't you are a fool!

That style pretty much represents everything I've ever wanted out of MA, and it simply does not exist in the U.S.

How would one compare Daido Juku Kudo and Pekiti-Tirsia Kali?
          I don't see how Daido Juku (mma in a gi + space helmets) could be any more different than kali.
          Last edited by maofas; 7/12/2009 2:37am, .

Comment

Hear hear!

Id love to study daido-juku, im surprised it hasn't spread more!
            www.dragonmma.ca

http://www.realselfdefensecenter.com/

http://z11.invisionfree.com/The_Phat...543abc&act=idx

Because i think he's funny.

Comment

Originally posted by maofas View Post
              I mean this in the nicest possible way: if you have the chance to do Daido Juku and don't you are a fool!

That style pretty much represents everything I've ever wanted out of MA, and it simply does not exist in the U.S.

I don't see how Daido Juku (mma in a gi + space helmets) could be any more different than kali.
              With all possible respect, I wanted to know how/if it is BETTER training than PTK. I know how it is different, I may be a n00b who was born yesterday, but I stayed up all night googling and reading threads on bullshido.
              I guess my OP post was not the masterpiece of clarity and brevity that I thought it was. I was just wondering how you could meaningfully compare the two styles.

Thanks for your response though. I'm going to observe the daido juku class this week.

Comment

I understood what you meant, but my point was that you can't meaningfully compare the two styles because their functionality is 100% different. One is punch/kick/throw/sub while the other is about weapons. It's like asking if a sports car or a speed boat is better.

"Better" depends on your personal goals, interests, and reasons for training which you haven't disclosed. Personally, I'm not that interested in learning how to stab people, for various reasons.
                Last edited by maofas; 7/12/2009 3:47am, .

Comment

So, to take your analogy a step further, the motor car beats the speed boat hands down on land, and vice versa on water? And therefore we need to consider the terrain or the race track? I begin to see.
                  I haven't thought too deeply about what my goals are... I guess they are, in the following order:

1. Self Defense - as in if i were to get mugged or find myself in a riot, or in any situation where there was no possibility of flight, only fight, I'd be able to keep me and mine alive, or at least try with some probability of success.
                  2. General fitness and health
                  3. Fun/Education/Enjoyment

I have no problems with stabbing people when a good stabbing is in order. I trust myself enough to know exactly when such rare occasions occur.. I have a lot of problems with people trying to stab me and not knowing how to counter.

Still, Kali does seem fundamentally different from all my previous training; I guess I'll make up my mind after observing the Daido Juku Class.

Comment

Emmm, try both and see which one you like most?

Also, I think a month is enough time to get a good idea of what's going on in a martial art. I know that in every school I've attended, there weren't huge changes in the training from what we started off doing.

Comment

Well, personally, I don't think knives are all that great for self-defense (even completely aside from that fact I don't know if I'd really be able to stomach cutting someone up.)

I can't bring a knife everywhere and the few self-defense situations I've been in it would've totally inappropriate (read: escalation) to whip out a knife. I also don't imagine knife duels would happen very often even if everyone in the world carried a knife since typically one person starts with the weapon out and is either assaulting or holding the other at knifepoint.

I could see how crosstraining in some (good) Kali would be handy though, to get a better understanding of the blade and maybe (maybe?) increase my chances of not getting cut up.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                      X