Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which martial art?

Hello everybody,

now I know that this thread is very usual, boring and predictable but I really need some help here. I live in Dubai and have been practicing martial arts for two years now but recently I have found myself in a position where I have to choose between doing two arts which I am entirely new to:

Daido Juku Kudo
    and
    Shorinji kempo

Both schools training styles look good and they are both affordable so price and quality of training is not a factor. I was just wondering what the good people of the bullshido forum thought I should give a go. Any advice would be helpful.

Yours,

sfreear

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shorinji_Kempo

That Shorinji Kempo? From what I understand they don't allow cross training, or so I've heard anyway.

For me it would be a no brainer, go with Daido Juku Kudo. You should get good training and they would probably let you cross train.

Do the dojos have websites you could link to?

Comment

Daido Juku. It combines elements of Judo, BJJ, Kyokushin, wrestling, boxing and Muay Thai, which are considered here to be among the best martial arts around. It features highly effective techniques (full range of striking, including headbutts, as well as takedowns (Judo AND wrestling style) and grappling/submissions) and alive training (i.e., sparring and pressure-testing).

Shorinji Kempo lacks all of those positive attributes and doesn't redeem itself at all.

Comment

Hi Sfreear,
        I'm a n00b here too, and recently relocated to Dubai.
        I've started training in Pekiti-Tirsia Kali here and its quite interesting, but it is very different from my previous MMA training in London - weapons, emphasis on hammerfist strikes, etc. That said, its too early for me to assess the training and how effective/useful/good it is. Only been doing it a month or so..
        I was wondering how you found the Daido Juku Kudo to be? I'm wondering whether I should continue with Kali, and if there's a good alternative, thats something to factor into my considerations.
        Thanks
        N.

Comment

It depends on what you want out of your MA training.
          Neither styles is bad as martial art, but the packaging is very different.

Shorinji kempo is very influenced by religion (zen Buddhism) and in japan it is registred as a religious sect. No kidding!
          But if you dont mind that, shorinji kempo is a god style, that focus on a lot of meditation, and trad "japanese atmosphere" (for lack of a better word). While there is sparring and competition, it is not a major part of training.
          YouTube - Shorinji Kempo Power

Daido juku is in many ways a sport more than a martial art. It is based on kyokushin karate+judo, but nowdays it encourages cross-training. There may be the "traditional martial art touch" (for lack of a better way to describe it) in most Daido juku dojos, but it is not a given. There are also daido juku dojos that dont really follow the japanese daido juku "style", and who basically mix BJJ and muay thai in a more MMA gym atmosphere -being more into the sport of kudo than the art of daido juku kudo.
          Focus in on sparring and competition. Competition is like MMA but with helmets (whith the exceptions that while you are not allowed to punch the head of a downed opponent with full power, you are allowed to headbutt the opponent and kick him between the legs while you are both still on your feet).
          YouTube - Daido juku MMA karate knockdown

Comment

Daido juku looks amazing. Do it.

Comment

Originally posted by kolsyrade View Post
              Daido juku is in many ways a sport more than a martial art. It is based on kyokushin karate+judo, but nowdays it encourages cross-training. There may be the "traditional martial art touch" (for lack of a better way to describe it) in most Daido juku dojos, but it is not a given. There are also daido juku dojos that dont really follow the japanese daido juku "style", and who basically mix BJJ and muay thai in a more MMA gym atmosphere -being more into the sport of kudo than the art of daido juku kudo.
              What do you mean there?

Comment

Originally posted by bitchslapper View Post
                What do you mean there?
                Exactly what did you mean with "there"?
                Please refer to a specific comment (not the entire text about daido juku), and I may respond.

Comment

Traditional martial arts touch

and

the sport of kudo than the art of daido juku kudo.

Comment

Originally posted by kwoww View Post
                    Daido juku looks amazing. Do it.
                    Daido Juko is amazing.

They allow nut shots for Christ's sake!

Comment

Originally posted by bitchslapper View Post
                      Traditional martial arts touch
                      Bowing. uniforms. ceremony&rituals. meditation. excessive politeness & orderly discipline. The occasional antiquated training method done because it the way it always been done. That kind of stuff. Even walking in lines and punching air I guess (yes they still do that in daido juku to drill punch and kick basics).

the sport of kudo than the art of daido juku kudo.
                      Kudo is the name of both the sport format and the art&style.
                      The sport Kudo is what you see in the clip. Basically it is the rules they fight with and the tournament settings.
                      The art of daido juku kudo is the formal style, its curriculum and its traditions. But you dont really need to practice the formal style to fight under the sport kudo rules, any grappling+striking skills adapted to the rules are good -which is what I meant by gyms that basically do Muay thai +BJJ instead of the trad Daido juku style.

Comment

Hi everyone, thanks for all your comments. I know it has taken me a very long time to reply but i have been quite busy lately. I decided to go with Kudo, and I have to say it is better than anything I have ever done in dubai (or the UK) before. You learn so much in such a short amount of time. I will be sure to post a review of the whole Dubai Karate Centre Dojo as soon as I settle in there a bit more. And ITGLondon I highly recommend that you try Kudo, but as I havn't been doing it long I think it would be good for you to look into the Dubai classes by contacting someone a little more experianced, but my vote is for trying it. Oh and welcome to Dubai.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                        X