Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My introduction

Hello.

Just making the requisite n00b intro post. Been studying a TMA for over 6 years, handguns and modern combatives for the past couple years, and am looking to continue that route and move from the TMA into something else. Came here to go exploring that avenue (FMA? MT? dunno yet).

Originally posted by coc716 View Post
    Hello.

Just making the requisite n00b intro post. Been studying a TMA for over 6 years, handguns and modern combatives for the past couple years, and am looking to continue that route and move from the TMA into something else. Came here to go exploring that avenue (FMA? MT? dunno yet).
    Tell us a bit about yourself:
    What are you currently studying?
    What are your goals?
    Where are you located and what is available to you?

You might find other posters in your area or practitioners of the same style or styles you are looking at studying with some advice....good or bad.

Who know, you might even score some invites to visit their gym.

Welcome to the site!

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
      What are you currently studying?
      Kuk Sool Won. Let the flaming begin! (I'm well aware of the status of it here, part of why I'm looking to move on). I feel it gave me a nice foundation and introduction to MA, but I need to move on if I want to progress and meet my goals.

What are your goals?
      Better true fighting skills, towards self-defense. i.e. not looking for sport or competition. Things that integrate well with firearms aren't a bad deal either. Exercise is good too, to keep my body strong and fit and "in use", but I figure almost anything I did would suffice here so it's a non-issue.

Where are you located and what is available to you?
      Austin, Texas.

The school I'm currently looking at is:

http://www.ctama.net/

I do have to consider my schedule and driving proximity. What I've been able to dig up so far about the folks at this school (e.g. owner Ray Parra) has been fairly positive on the Kali and MT side of things, and that appeals to me... both stylisitically and in terms of actually learning how to fight and other meaningful skills (i.e. no McDojo).

If there's anyone with specific input on this school and/or folks from it, I'm all ears. I intended to post about it in another thread elsewhere on the site a little later. It's my intent to visit the school at first opportunity (probably tomorrow evening).

Thanx for the welcome.

Comment

The only thing in choosing a new MMA that you need to ask yourself is which do you enjoy more - hitting people, choking people or throwing people

Once that is resolved we can offer you proper advice

Comment

Originally posted by Goju - Joe View Post
          The only thing in choosing a new MMA that you need to ask yourself is which do you enjoy more - hitting people, choking people or throwing people

Once that is resolved we can offer you proper advice
          ha ha ha. :)

The answer is "yes", but given where I've come from and where I'd like to go, right now I'm primarily looking to pick up on some hitting skills. I've been looking at MT and western boxing. That's why that one school I mentioned has appeal to me, as it appears to answer "yes".

Comment

You may remember me from MAP as the former Topic Mod for Kuk Sool. Well, I'm here now, and haven't looked back since realizing that KSW didn't really help me at all. I switched to pretty much straight MMA (BJJ, MT, Boxing, Wrestling).

Comment

There are tons of guys here from Austin who would probably love to give you and invite.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                You may remember me from MAP as the former Topic Mod for Kuk Sool. Well, I'm here now, and haven't looked back since realizing that KSW didn't really help me at all. I switched to pretty much straight MMA (BJJ, MT, Boxing, Wrestling).
                Hey Wolf. Yeah, I do remember you and you making the switch. Heading on a similar voyage myself.

Comment

There are tons of guys here from Austin who would probably love to give you and invite.
                  Cool. Thanx.

Comment

as for that site- id recommend checking it out, but be aware that from what i can gather nobody who teaches there has actually had any MT fights, and that the boxing instructors record isnt that shit hot- but then, being able to box and being able to teach boxing are two very different things.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex View Post
                      as for that site- id recommend checking it out, but be aware that from what i can gather nobody who teaches there has actually had any MT fights, and that the boxing instructors record isnt that shit hot- but then, being able to box and being able to teach boxing are two very different things.
                      Yeah, it's my intent to check out the school tonight and see what I can see. Doing my homework, shopping around.

Thanx.

Comment

In Austin for Muay Thai, look for Adam Ganshirt (North? - Ask Zapruder), Rudy Vasquez (Vasquez Academy - South Austin), Ray Parra. All of these instructors are certified under Master Chai Sirisute. There is Jason Webster (CTC - North/Central Austin). Self-Critical I believe trains under him and so did one of Vasquez's guys Nick "The Ghost" Gonzalez. He is a badass MT coach and from what Nick has told me pretty ruthless to his advanced students (Smack you HARD with Thai Pads for not keeping your guard up and kick you with those weak little in step shin guards...this is a good thing).

Rudy Vasquez mixes both of them in his teaching. The stance and footwork is boxing but the strikes are Muay Thai.

Self Critical also has a lot of training in FMA. Good guy to go to on the forum if your looking for a FMA school in Austin.
                        Last edited by newbie999; 6/22/2009 11:42am, .

Comment

Originally posted by newbie999 View Post
                          In Austin for Muay Thai, look for Adam Ganshirt (North? - Ask Zapruder), Rudy Vasquez (Vasquez Academy - South Austin), Ray Parra. All of these instructors are certified under Master Chai Sirisute. There is Jason Webster (CTC - North/Central Austin). Self-Critical I believe trains under him and so did one of Vasquez's guys Nick "The Ghost" Gonzalez. He is a badass MT coach and from what Nick has told me pretty ruthless to his advanced students (Smack you HARD with Thai Pads for not keeping your guard up and kick you with those weak little in step shin guards...this is a good thing).

Rudy Vasquez mixes both of them in his teaching. The stance and footwork is boxing but the strikes are Muay Thai.

Self Critical also has a lot of training in FMA. Good guy to go to on the forum if your looking for a FMA school in Austin.
                          Cool. Thanx for the info.

Comment

No problem,

Keep us updated. It's nice giving referrals and recommendations out, but it sucks when the topic poster disappears afterwards and we get no update :(. Don't forget to write up a school review after you've spent some time in there :).

Comment

I might be mistaken, but I believe Ray Parra teaches in San Marcos now. Adam Ganshirt took over for him a few years ago. Zapruder would know I think. I'll send him a PM regarding this thread.
                              Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X