Common Judo Injuries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Common Judo Injuries

I'm going to be starting Judo in this coming week. I've been practicing Aikido and jujitsu for awhile and I'm familiar with particular injuries. In Aikido, I took a few bad injuries to my right knee and to my left shoulder. They have since healed, however I am very cautious about them because they have not been the same since. After my injuries, I have made sure to get to class at least twenty minutes early to do my own stretching before class and I feel it's helped me a lot in injury prevention.

Out of curiosity, what kind of injuries are common in Judo? What should i focus on stretching before class? Any preventative measures I should take additionally?

I too have just started Judo so here’s my newb advice. From what I’ve found searching the internet the most common injuries are of the shoulder, knee, and toes coming from poor throwing technique. They can happen in one incident or overtime if the same mistake is being made constantly. So to prevent them pay attention to the throw when it is being taught and when first performing the throw work slowly paying attention to hand and foot placement. Finally ALWAYS be ready to perform a breakfall. At my last lesson we were learning fake out combos but were told not to follow through, just work on foot work and hand motions. I ended up being accidentally thrown three times. Other than that keep on stretching before and after class especially if you have been practicing with people bigger than you it’ll help with the soreness.

Comment

Before class, you shouldn’t do heavy stretching—you should warm up and perhaps do some light, dynamic stretching to limber up.

After class is the time to do serious stretching. If you do static stretching, after class is when you should do it.

It may not feel that way, but static stretching before a workout is actually associated with an increase, not a decrease, of risk of injury.

If you want more information on this, find some way to attract TheRuss’s attention.

Comment

Dynamic Stretching FTW!

In my experiences with BJJ, I've found that tendinitis is also surprisingly common due to the constant gripping of the gi. I could only assume it carries over to Judo.

Comment

Loss of skin from the tips of your goddamn fingers. Ow.

Comment

If you have knee problems stay away from the drop seoi nages. Some dojos will teach you to drop to one or both knees to get the seoi nage but in the long run you'll just damage your knees more. My other big piece of advice is to kiai or exhale when thrown, it'll keep you from getting the wind knocked out of you.

Comment

Learn to breakfall before you get thrown, so you dont kill your back.

Comment

I came out of judo last night with "golfers" elbow and the skin under finger nails gone. On each finger theres a circle of skin gone, that probably because it was my first serious training wearing the suit and my parter wearing the suit, small but hurts like hell.

Comment

http://judoinfo.com/research11.htm
                  http://www.bmj.com/content/311/7018/1465.full

If you're interested

Comment

Originally posted by marcusdbrutus View Post
                    Loss of skin from the tips of your goddamn fingers. Ow.
                    This. Not really an injury, but if you're doing king of the mat as part of your session, dont drink too much water beforehand and remember to breathe.

You will puke if you dont. I learnt that the hard way.
                    Last edited by The Juggernoob; 10/11/2011 5:55am, .

Comment

Originally posted by IneedSkins View Post
                      I came out of judo last night with "golfers" elbow and the skin under finger nails gone. On each finger theres a circle of skin gone, that probably because it was my first serious training wearing the suit and my parter wearing the suit, small but hurts like hell.
                      Maybe some day one of the Judo veterans around here put a "How do grip for n00bs" sticky. Your problem has been adressed dozens of times.

Comment

Originally posted by DCS View Post
                        Maybe some day one of the Judo veterans around here put a "How do grip for n00bs" sticky. Your problem has been adressed dozens of times.
                        mm perhaps i should look it up.

Comment

Don't know if its that common, but I had my front foot and/or toes bruised by an opponent a couple times. It happens when someone tries to sweep (kick...) your foot while your weight is still planted on it.

Comment

Originally posted by IneedSkins View Post
                            mm perhaps i should look it up.
                            It's better to be shown, but basically don't grip so hard with your thumb and forefinger, curl the jacket into the bottom three fingers instead.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                            X