A judo thread that is actually about Judo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A judo thread that is actually about Judo

I have to confess that I made this thread mainly because I have just started Judo and the other Judo thread was a whiny bitch-fest.

Therefore i will ask that this thread be limited to the discussion of Judo.

I am a total Judo noob but I find it to be awesome fun. I have my first grading this weekend on sunday.

I am a BJJ blue belt and i was surprised at how little this actually helped me. My newaza is good (obviously) but my throws/takedowns suck bad. Also because I have been doing submission grappling for the last few years (no-gi) my grips also suck a bit. I find myself reaching for underhoks instead of Gi grip, etc.

Last night I did randori with six different guys (ranging from 1st kyu to 3rd dan) and had my ass handed to me. I find this both excellent (because someday i want to be this good) and incredibly frustrating (because i suck so bad and am not used to that). The only takedown i got was a double-leg (which i learned in my MMA class).

So, if anyone (who actually knows Judo) has any tips for me I would apprieciate it. Also, you can discuss favourite techniques, entries, grips, etc.

JUDO ROCKS!!!!:waoya

One day I would like to do Judo. If only I wasn't so fat and lazy and useless and stupid and...you get the idea.:icon_sad:

Comment

If you would like to see a judo thread about judo cast your eyes hither and thither.

Comment

Just keep at it, it will get easier and you will bet better.

Comment

I am a judo noob too:) my favorite throw is uchi mata.

I have also had some success with a throw I don't know the name of. I basically grab both arms by the sleve. I then push 1 arm above my head while I turn and go low. I also trap his other arm on my stomach.

This puts me in a position where I got my ass below his center of gravity and his arms extended over my back and slightly infront of my head(with my back to my opponent). + that I have his arm trapped around me. If I fail at tossing him over my back then I will just switch.

I will then move my body slightly so my ribs are near his knees and the arm I trapped is across my back still trapped on my stomac. then I drop to my knees and roll.

Plz tell me the name of this move if you know it:)

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid Pantaloons View Post
            I have also had some success with a throw I don't know the name of. I basically grab both arms by the sleve. I then push 1 arm above my head while I turn and go low. I also trap his other arm on my stomach.

This puts me in a position where I got my ass below his center of gravity and his arms extended over my back and slightly infront of my head(with my back to my opponent). + that I have his arm trapped around me.
            Sode tsurikomi Goshi?

Originally posted by Rancid Pantaloons View Post
            I will then move my body slightly so my ribs are near his knees and the arm I trapped is across my back still trapped on my stomac. then I drop to my knees and roll.
            Soto Makikomi?
            Last edited by Deadmeat; 6/19/2009 5:31am, .

Comment

Sounds like a Sode that he is finishing with a makikomi

Comment

Originally posted by Mtripp View Post
                Just keep at it, it will get easier and you will bet better.
                This is the true secret of judo. There are three basic rules to this aspect of judo.
                1) Practice
                2) Practice
                3) Practice

Good luck with your training, listen to your coach and learn the three rules listed above.

Comment

so would the correct term be Sode Makikomi?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom .C View Post
                    This is the true secret of judo. There are three basic rules to this aspect of judo.
                    1) Practice
                    2) Practice
                    3) Practice

Good luck with your training, listen to your coach and learn the three rules listed above.
                    This is my plan. I am slightly obsessive so will just go to every class he runs for the next 5 or 6 years if my past history is anything to go by.

I am also going to continue my MMA conditioning and power training as this cant hurt.

Comment

yup. The sode part is usually to hard for me to finish or my opponent is too good.

Comment

Originally posted by cam4276 View Post
                        Last night I did randori with six different guys (ranging from 1st kyu to 3rd dan) and had my ass handed to me. I find this both excellent (because someday i want to be this good) and incredibly frustrating.
                        Can't help you with technique advice. But you definitely need to remember this bit from your OP, in full, at all times. If you forget the first bit you'll either quit judo or become one of those guys who gets overly defensive in randori and never improves. You know the guys I mean. If you forget the second bit then the first bit will have no context and won't seem relevant. Or something.

Frustration is judo's awesome tax, the later in life you start, the higher the bill to be paid.

Comment

Originally posted by hairydynamicist View Post
                          Frustration is judo's awesome tax, the later in life you start, the higher the bill to be paid.
                          I kind of feel that it is frustrating how little judo you can do in just 90 minutes. I wish that the training could be like 3 hours or longer and filled with more throw practice with moderate resistance.

It would really help newbies like me to get comfortable with the skills.

Comment

1. Make it a habit to randori with advanced players. You will be annihilated. Some will be nice and give you a few throws hear and there..but you WILL be PUNISHED. This is good. This will teach you what not to do. You don't get better by constantly fighting people at your skill level.

2.Find a technique that you like and DRILL until you hate your life. Take a rest, then drill it again. Generalist tend not to get very far, especially in shiai. Those who have a "money" technique do. You will no doubt become proficient with other throws..but you need to have one that you can do in your sleep. When you are down by wazari with 10 seconds left on the clock...this is the throw that will save your ass.

3. Work on Kumikata(grip fighting). Wanna know how those advanced players toss you no matter how hard you try to 'straight arm' them or lean back on your heels cause you know that Seoi is comming ? There is a lot involved...but getting a preferred grip is the first step to a successful throw. Learn how to get your grip. Keep them from getting theirs

4.Stand up. I don't' know how you play, but I am willing to bet you fight hunched over. This does not work very well with players who generally maintain an upright position when fighting. Unless you are in the process of executing a throw...STAND UP.

5. When you throw, be prepared to immediately follow up with a pin, or armbar. This will give your opponent fits, and it will start to chip away at their confidence. DRILL THIS.

6. Go to practice as often as you can. If this means working out at another club on days your club has no practice, then get to it. For the past 3 months I have been going 5-4 days a week instead of my usual 3. You will be sore, and tired, but it will be worth it. If there is after-practice mat time...stay and keep working.
                            Last edited by OSPF; 6/19/2009 2:54pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by OSPF View Post
                              1. Make it a habit to randori with advanced players. You will be annihilated. Some will be nice and give you a few throws hear and there..but you WILL be PUNISHED. This is good. This will teach you what not to do. You don't get better by constantly fighting people at your skill level.
                              I always do this. Mainly because i am so much bigger than everyone else and am a bit uncomfortable throwing less experienced guys that i might hurt. Even the small advanced guys kick my ass. One fo teh reasons i love this particular club is that there are about 8 black belts in every class (even one 7th dan).

4.Stand up. I don't' know how you play, but I am willing to bet you fight hunched over. This does not work very well with players who generally maintain an upright position when fighting. Unless you are in the process of executing a throw...STAND UP.
                              Two seperate guys told me this yesterday. They even explained why and it made sense but i am really struggling with this one.

5. When you throw, be prepared to immediately follow up with a pin, or armbar. This will give your opponent fits, and it will start to chip away at their confidence. DRILL THIS.
                              This is one of my stronger points because of my BJJ.

6. Go to practice as often as you can. If this means working out at another club on days your club has no practice, then get to it. For the past 3 months I have been going 5-4 days a week instead of my usual 3. You will be sore, and tired, but it will be worth it. If there is after-practice mat time...stay and keep working.
                              I am doing two Judo classes at the moment and i believe they are starting a third soon. I also do one day of BJJ and one of MMA so I do 4 to 5 days a week. If i can find someone who is prepared to practice with me I would be prepared to take an extra Judo day in place of one of the others.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X