Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introducing myself

Hey,

So i've been training BJJ for about 3.5 months. Don't have any martial arts experience before it, and i joined mainly to be less sedentary and get into better shape.

I was googling around for some mount escapes as i have quite a bit of trouble doing that and i came across this forum. I'm not too good at rolling, use to get frustrated about that but i've been told it takes awhile before you get competent. Hope to find some useful advice from threads here.

My name is Andrew, and i'm from New Jersey.

-Andrew

Originally posted by Shai'tan View Post
    Hey,

So i've been training BJJ for about 3.5 months. Don't have any martial arts experience before it, and i joined mainly to be less sedentary and get into better shape.

I was googling around for some mount escapes as i have quite a bit of trouble doing that and i came across this forum. I'm not too good at rolling, use to get frustrated about that but i've been told it takes awhile before you get competent. Hope to find some useful advice from threads here.

My name is Andrew, and i'm from New Jersey.

-Andrew
    Welcome. I recommend asking a friendly blue+ to show you how to work on your mount escapes.

Avoiding frustration is a huge part of training. You'll get to practice that skill for sure.

Where do you train?
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by 1point2 View Post

Where do you train?
      I train at Ocean County Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, if you're familiar with the area its in Forked River. ~Exit 74ish.

-Andrew

Comment

Yes, ask someone more knowledgeable if they will help you work your mount escapes. It's not just about the movement and technique, it's also about the timing ( big time ). I have learnt most techniques that I have been taught in a very short time ( if just drilling with a partner with light resistance ), but to learn the finer points, and actually apply them against resistance effectively, take me a LOT more time.

I have learnt several ways to escape the mount and it's not often easy. That's one reason why it's better to have mount than be under it ( no sarcasm intended ).

If I remember correctly, the first 2 escapes we were taught, were the shrimping escape and trap, bridge and roll.

For me, I have more trouble getting out of a good side control.

Comment

Originally posted by beardedtaco View Post

If I remember correctly, the first 2 escapes we were taught, were the shrimping escape and trap, bridge and roll.

For me, I have more trouble getting out of a good side control.
          I agree wholeheartedly. ESPECIALLY with the shrimping. It's such a beautiful movement, and it's not purely defensive either. Case in point: One of the first ways for me to secure an armbar that I actually had time to really commit to memory involved shrimping out of my own close guard whilst gripping their arm. Hell, to this day (to be fair, I'm only half a year into Judo) that's the only sub I know how to setup from close guard. The only other thing is a handful of sweeps.

One of the main newaza problems I've had has been remembering to have some control established when I transition into a pin or hold.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
          X