Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Advice..... Please

First I'll introduce myself.

Hi, I am Andrew a 21 year old from New Zealand who is now doing shotokan karate for only a few months. But I have always had an interest in martial arts and I do have a good knowledge of most martial arts.

Now on to my problem, recently in amongst the mountains of junkmail we at our flat get weekly, I found a coupon for our local Muay Thai gym that would give me 3 free months of training, being a poor university student I really do not want to miss this opportunity as I also interested in Muay Thai.

So my question is: Is it a bad idea to be doing 2 striking different martial arts? Especially for me being a noob.

It can't hurt to try out the Muay Thai. In the long run Muay Thai's focus on competition and sparring will help you more then the Shotokan probably will.

At the least it can do no harm.
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Comment

It is only 3 months, so it is worth trying. After that time, decide which you like better and stick w/ that.

I don't think long term training in both would make much sense.

Comment

Read the fine print

Make absolutely sure that the three free months don't come packaged with a lot of months they want you to pay for ahead of time.

Comment

Also, since you're new: if you haven't watched the videos in this thread, please do so:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...?ltr=M&t=80596

Comment

Originally posted by mgb View Post
            Make absolutely sure that the three free months don't come packaged with a lot of months they want you to pay for ahead of time.
            Yeah. Try it out for a few weeks before you agree to anything on paper. Talk to as many students as you can and get their take on the club. 3 free months could be awesome, or it could lead you into contract shenanigans down the road.

Comment

Okay cool thanks for the opinions, I'll give it try then.

Comment

I am an ex shotokan practicioner and a black-belt.I can easily say that there is no resistance in shotokan kumite(or rolling,sparring)maybe aliveness but no resistance it's like a game we used to play when we were 7.Please go train muay thai don't spend(kill) your years with sh18tokan karate.

Comment

Sup OP. What city you in? And which school do you train?
                  If you want some good striking advice from a kiwi trainer here, PM Alex. He knows where the good training is at.

If you meet him, don't look him in the eyes for more than three seconds. He sees it as a challenge to his masculinity and will crush you and everyone within ten metres.

Ignore Mr Dan as he is full of shit. I've been to some Chan's Martial Arts. It is crap, and everyone seems to wear ribbons around their waists. Even when I used to do wing fucking chun I could smash those guys into the ground.
                  Originally posted by Judoka_UK
                  Judo is the PC to Sambo's Mac.

Comment

go for it and if it comes down to once you have to start paying for muay thia and you cant afford both or you dont have enouph time to do both. go with the martial art you like the best dont feel obligated to stay at either place. the worst thing is when you want to switch martial arts but you feel trapped at the place you at already. but as far as trying muay thia go for it i dont know much about karate but muay thia is a great and realistic striking art that has proved its superiority in mma events. and as far as taking two diffrent striking arts being a bad thing in reality the more martial arts the better. the two schools will teach you diffrent aspects of fighing and self defense wich will make you a better fighter

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                    X