Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A martial art to defend yourself against a way bigger opponent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A martial art to defend yourself against a way bigger opponent.

Hello I have been lurking for about a week researching different topic for my answer but could not come to an conclusion.

I was at the bar with my girlfreind, and when i was coming out of the bathroom some guy was being rude to her,because she wouldnt let him buy her a drink. im about 5'10 175 i can get to about 190 if i start weight lifting and drinking protein shakes because I have recently loss weight. The guy in question was about 6'4 between 220-240 think a out of shape brock lensnar.

I verbally insulted the guy,and he was ready to kill me but my buddies bailed me out. i knew I would have gotten killed. I felt so powerless in front of my old lady like my manhood had been taken away. My buddy who bailed me out practices MMA and fights in the Kage 1 promotion in my college town in southern illinois. He suggested I learn self defense and invited to check out his MMA class, and to check out some other schools in the area.

I called around and visited several schools. There is a basic boxing class w/sparring, My freinds MMA training and promotion place, a sport judo class which is mostly throws limited submission. A jeet kune do class which incorporates wing chun trapping with western boxing for striking no ground work. There is also a Krav Maga class, and a BJJ class that is taught by a BJJ brown belt in the same place as my freinds MMA class.

There is also a TKD and shotakan place ,but from my research on this forum and other places those do not seem like viable options.

I visited the MMA place and they told me it was mostly muay thai, savate, and bjj for submissions there are about 13 people in the class 6 of them fighters. The judo place was mostly throws but they had full force grappling matches in the last 45 minutes of class. Wedsday I visted the combat wing chun/Jeet kune do place which mostly taught all chun trapping chain punches and basic boxing . Im visiting the Krav Maga class on monday.

between Judo, BJJ, MMA, JKD, Krav Maga. which style is the best for average guys taking on huge guys and disposing of them in a short amount of time. I took Kenpo Karate in 8th grade but I have since forgotten it so I am basically starting from scratch. I prefer not to grapple, but will consider it.

In descending order of preference,
    1. and a felon at this point.
    2. Carry some other weapon; see above.
    3. Grapple.

Comment

Hire a body guard

Comment

Go to the MMA/BJJ school. Don't let those idiots give you shit for standing up to some drunk fuck. Your girlfriend is happy that you are actually a man and willing to stand up for her. Now learn some MA and next time you can choke that fucker out.

Where do you live?

Comment

buy a tazer?

Comment

Originally posted by NoTeefa View Post
            Don't let those idiots give you shit for standing up to some drunk fuck. Your girlfriend is happy that you are actually a man and willing to stand up for her.
            I'm about 15,000th in MA knowledge on this forum, unless there are more than 15,000 members, in which case I'm lower. But I did want to pop in here to say that your girlfriend might be happy you stepped in as you did, or she might think you are an idiot who mishandled the situation and put yourself -- and her -- in jeopardy. Some women want brawlers, some women think fighting and mouthing off is stupid. Men vary, women vary.

As for what you should train in, after reading a million Bullshido threads on this topic I'd say you will be told to find a school where they teach fighting at all ranges and spar hard with minimal safety gear. Someone will tell you to get a gun. Also someone will tell you to learn the Nike kata.

Comment

Offer to buy the guy a beer, apologise profusely for your woman being so stupid as to refuse a drink from a respectable gentleman. When he puts it to his lips, smug-like because he thinks he has it over you now, palm strike the bottom of the glass so it opens him up a huge smile and shards of glass go in his eyes, all while shattering the bridge of his nose. Then find the security tape of this happening and post it on here, blurring your face to ensure no legal ramifications. Warn all employees and customers in the bar that if they talk to police (at this stage you should have pulled out your gun and started acting like a nutcase) then you will return for them and their mothers.
              That should prove that you aren't someone who needs their MMA trained friend to sort out the stupid situation you got yourself in. Bonus: chicks love a psycho, make sure your "crazy eyes" are sufficiently crazy.
              GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
              Originally posted by Devil
              I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
              Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
              I <3 Battlefields...

Comment

Did you know that durnkenness makes people far easier to Grapple? DO SOME BJJ

or If you want to be r33l D3adly Take my Pirate-Jutsu, it can defeat a man of any size and woks better when drunk!!!!

Comment

I'm ashamed of you guys. You shouldn't be learning MMA to beat up thugs in bars. Fighting outside the ring should always be the last resort.

Moreover, beating up bigger men usually doesn't go well with the ladies. Just walk away with your gf, or ask the security/bouncer/barmen to drag the bigger guy out.

If the bigger guy is actually shaped like Brock Lesnar, he's probably working out. You can't expect to beat him with just a few months of MA training. If you really want to learn self-defense, just don't get yourself into these sticky situations.

Comment

I just got a great Idea, pee on his shoes!

Comment

Go to the gym, build up some muscle, and take boxing along with bjj.

Don't resort to insults and try to talk the guy down first. Don't resort to begging, since the whole point is to not look like a fucking coward in front of your woman.

If it's gonna be a fight, pray that he's drunk, doesn't know how to fight, and doesn't have a weapon. Check out Bas Rutten's self defense guide on youtube. Just remember, most of the stuff Bas shows you is over kill and will land your ass in prison.

Lastly, take your girl someplace other than a bar. It ain't exactly the most romantic of places.

Comment

Find out where he lives. Find out his phone number.

Call him one evening from a pay phone. Disguise your voice. Rant and rave at him, and make only two points clear: You are a cab driver, and you are coming to kill him with a crowbar.

Next, call a cab company. Request a pickup at his address. Tell them the passenger is an elderly woman who is packing a trunk, but it is stuck in the attic. Promise a generous tip if he brings a crowbar.

Wipe your prints off of the phone. Disappear.

Comment

High-powered large-caliber gun-fu.

What do I win?

Comment

The guy had no way to know that she was your girlfriend if you weren't there, why take it so personally and insult him? Just say "sory, shes with me" and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Cy Q. Faunce View Post
                              Find out where he lives. Find out his phone number.

Call him one evening from a pay phone NEAR HIS HOUSE. Disguise your voice. Rant and rave at him, and make only two points clear: You are a cab driver, and you are coming to kill him with a crowbar.

Next, call a cab company. Request a pickup at his address. Tell them the passenger is an elderly woman who is packing a trunk, but it is stuck in the attic. Promise a generous tip if he brings a crowbar.

WATCH INCIDENT WHILE CONCEALED BY SHADOWS. Wipe your prints off of the phone. Disappear.
                              You have a Darkness in you, however fixed.
                              GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
                              Originally posted by Devil
                              I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
                              Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
                              I <3 Battlefields...

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X