New in Dallas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New in Dallas

Hello, I'm a complete newbie in Dallas on the search for what and where to train. I'm interested in MA to get me in better shape doing something engaging and useful, and also because I hear it will make me more manly and teach me awesome things to show off at bars to strangers and drunk chicks.

I am checking this over and it is really long so here is the summary:
    Spoiler:

• Want to start Muay Thai or Judo in Dallas
    • No previous experience
    • Not a couch potato but want to get in better shape, I sit too much at work
    • I like Panang with Beef, 2 star
    • Like to hear about others' first day experiences to make me less nervous

I've been lurking here for a bit and done some searching, and here are the conclusions I have come to so far:

I'm most interested in Muay Thai and Judo. I understand that BJJ and Boxing are also well loved here and would provide me with the requisite amount of aliveness and activity, but they simply don't interest me as much right now. Perhaps that could change in the future.

I am not currently interested in paying to train both, so for now at least I have to pick.

For Muay Thai it would seem I am pretty damn lucky: after work I can drive 15 min to Saekson Janjira Muay Thai (SMTA), which I visited last week and watched a Friday workout led by a student, Chidi Njokuani, while Saekson was away for a seminar. I was a bit disappointed that I didn't see what would be a typical Tuesday/Thursday workout but visiting ont eh day I'd probably go normally didn't occur to me before I went. It would certainly get me into better shape, and everyone seemed very friendly, helpful and welcoming of beginners. There are apparently also JJ classes there but I don't know who teaches them (forgot to ask.)

Siam Star/NDBJJ is also good according to what I hear, and would only be slightly farther, but would also be more expensive, so if I am going for straight Muay Thai I don't think there would be an advantage to starting there.

For Judo it would seem I am pretty lucky as well. On the way home I drive by SMU, so if the SMU Judo Club practices are good for a beginner like me then that could be great. I have seen good things said about them, but I have not visited a practice yet; I made one attempt but they were out that week, and have just tried to contact Sensei Zwolski for a bit more info (their webpage is a bit out of date) and hope to try again this week.

Other options include the Dallas Judo Club (but it is much further out of the way,) and another listing on the DallasJudo.org website called "North Texas Judokai" which apparently practices in a community center very close to where I work - but I have not contacted North Texas Judokai and am not aware of who the instructor(s) are. There is also the Becerra Judo Club, but it appears to be more youth-oriented and is also a bit far away.

I am aware of Felipe Espinoza's Dallas Jiu-Jitsu (Panamasilver's place) and it is in fact very close to where I live, but while I want aliveness and sparring/randori I am again not so much interested in bjj or MMA/"UFC Style training" so I have sidelined it for now.

I'm 29, and conditioning wise I'm not exactly an assiduous exerciser but good genes and reasonable eating habits serve me well; I do jog or ride a bike a few times a week, and have been getting better about doing pushups, pullups, chinups, and taking the stairs at work (16 floors). I don't plan on any serious weight training but an entry-level barbell is now on the shopping list for 5x5s or at the very least squats and deadlifts.

So here is my introduction. Right now I am thinking I will start with Judo, because it is both cheaper and more convenient, and I want to make sure I will stick with something (as in going frequently enough to justify it) before I start laying the money down for SMTA. I am always paranoid about starting new things, (hence all the research) so any "My first day of ____" that can be thrown at me is appreciated, as well as suggestions or flaws in my thinking so far. I'd also like suggestions for starter's Judo Gi's or Gloves, depending on which way I end up going. In general I will pay a little more for higher quality, but want the best bang for the buck, not top of the line.

Thanks!

I have heard that Saekson Janjira Muay Thai is pretty badass. He's a 6-time world champ and I have heard from another forum that he's one of the best in Texas. For straight MMA you can check out Guy Mezer's Combat Sports Club though I think that is more of a pro gym. One of the fighters at my school in Austin stops by to train there as well.

If your really broke, just go with Judo. It tends to be cheaper than only of the other MA's you noted.

I'm a noob myself who was in good shape when I started. Also have a desk job XD. I am 27 so I'm a late 20's starter like yourself. You can ask me a bunch of questions if you want lol. slidyfoot has a great blog where he mentions a great place to buy start BJJ and Judo GI's. The prices were pretty reasonable and they don't look like crap either lol.
    Last edited by newbie999; 6/10/2009 5:59pm, .

Comment

What part of town do you live in? You mentioned SMU's near the job, but what other areas of town ore amenable to you? As Dallas is spread out to the point of uber-sprawl, that bit of data will help narrow things down.

Comment

Originally posted by ShaolinKungPao View Post
        What part of town do you live in? You mentioned SMU's near the job, but what other areas of town ore amenable to you? As Dallas is spread out to the point of uber-sprawl, that bit of data will
        help narrow things down.
        I work in Richardson and live down near White Rock Lake, so I basically cover the strip of 75 from south Plano down to Knox/Henderson. SMTA is driving the opposite direction from home for me, but it isn't too far out of the way since I stay pretty close to 75. Driving out towards Lewisville or Arlington, on the other hand, is really out of the way for me.

Comment

Oh damn, that rules out me being able to help then. The only MT schools I know of are in NW Dallas. That would require you navigating 635 in the early evening.

The only Judo school I know of closed when the instructor retired, so it looks like I'm no help at all here.

Comment

I watched a Judo class for the first time at North Texas Judokai this evening and am completely enraptured, and am starting on Wednesday. My first practice will be wearing an incredibly bright orange and pink sweatshirt (it's all I have that is even close to a Gi right now), but Sensei Chima says it is ok :) Everyone was very friendly and welcoming, and I can tell how interested I am from how much I enjoyed just watching. Can't wait!

Comment

Sweet. Don't sweat the pink/orange sweatshirt. At one point during your training, you'll hear about the Judo competitor who showed up at a world championship fight in a pink gi. But that's later.

Welcome to the wonderful(read: painful) world of Judo. Don't mind the sudden rush to the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by ShaolinKungPao View Post
                Sweet. Don't sweat the pink/orange sweatshirt. At one point during your training, you'll hear about the Judo competitor who showed up at a world championship fight in a pink gi. But that's later.

Welcome to the wonderful(read: painful) world of Judo. Don't mind the sudden rush to the floor.
                Thanks! Yeah I heard that guy ended up doing ok.

Comment

WELCOME! And keep us posted on how the first class goes, maybe a school review will be in order.

Comment

I would check out 10th planet with Brandon Quick. He is a blackbelt in judo, they have stand up classes and he is a brown belt in 10th Planet JJ. I have a video he did and he gives very clear instruction. I might even go out there in the fall to train with him. Seems like a very good school.

http://www.10thplanetjiujitsudfw.com/
                    The school's site is:
                    http://www.trinitycombatacademy.com/

The first site is a little messy.

Comment

Originally posted by cyrijl View Post
                      I would check out 10th planet with Brandon Quick. He is a blackbelt in judo, they have stand up classes and he is a brown belt in 10th Planet JJ. I have a video he did and he gives very clear instruction. I might even go out there in the fall to train with him. Seems like a very good school.

http://www.10thplanetjiujitsudfw.com/
                      The school's site is:
                      http://www.trinitycombatacademy.com/

The first site is a little messy.
                      Thank you for the tip, but if all else was equal that would still be a two hour round trip, so I'll pass for now.

I've heard back from Sensei Zwolski at SMU, and they are off for the summer until mid-august or so. Hopefully when they start back up I will have at least a firm enough grasp of falling that I wouldn't hurt myself getting thrown around at their saturday practices, which I would really like to check out when I know a lot more than I do now (nothing.)

Comment

Did you take your first class yet, if so how was it? Judo is a fun and intense ma between mt and judo you couldn't have gone wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by GHemmer View Post
                          Did you take your first class yet, if so how was it? Judo is a fun and intense ma between mt and judo you couldn't have gone wrong.
                          I have, I am having a lot of fun. You should try it, highly recommended.

Comment

Just for future reference about 10th planet DFW. The same day (or the day after) I recommended this school, some ugly news about Brandon Quick came out.

SEE THIS THREAD:
                            Brandon Quick - 10th Planet Jiujitsu - Fake Brown Belt - No BS Martial Arts

Comment

Originally posted by cyrijl View Post
                              Just for future reference about 10th planet DFW. The same day (or the day after) I recommended this school, some ugly news about Brandon Quick came out.

SEE THIS THREAD:
                              Brandon Quick - 10th Planet Jiujitsu - Fake Brown Belt - No BS Martial Arts

Thanks for the heads up cyrijl. Check out the first response in that thread :)

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X