Judo schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Judo schools

Now that summer vacation is here, and track season is over, I have tons of free time. Generally summer is my "martial arts" time of the year, because it doesn't really matter if I get bruised up a bit, since I don't have to be covering those under 2 minute 800m dashes.

So I finally decided to take the good advice of the people of Bullshido and take up the cheap and widely available judo and add a decent grappling art to add to my (poor) striking art.

The only problem? I can't find a local school (and by "local" I mean "within about 15-20 minutes of driving time at the most"). Now granted I haven't looked too hard into the subject at the time being (have browsed the first 2-3 pages of google, really) but I was still hoping people could help me. Possibly reccomend a teacher in the area or just point out a local school that I've overlooked.

In terms of location, I live in Victoria, British Columbia.

If this belongs elsewhere, then mods, do your work.

Judo Canada/Judo BC have some material. You could try looking here. For example,
    Originally posted by Judo BC
    Kokushikai Judo Club
    #8-1501 Glentana Road, Victoria, BC
    Email: [email protected]
    Instructor: Michael Turner 250-896-583
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Comment

By the way, you might want to edit the thread title if you can to include a mention of Victoria, BC to improve the odds of helpful people finding their way here.

Comment

....No clue on how to edit the thread title. Only my posts, and the edit button appears to have vanished from my OP.

But just to add to this topic, the only school I've found that's even remotely close to where I live (about a 15 minute drive) is this one: http://www.victoriajudo.com/index.htm

I've looked into it and it SEEMS okay. They appear to do well in tournaments and there's even competition footage. Unfortunately, as I don't train judo (yet) I have absolutely no idea if the judo they're doing in the videos is even remotely good or not.

Comment

Of course it couldn’t hurt to get the opinion of someone who actually knows judo, but if they rake in gold medals in tournaments, I’d say the odds of them being a waste of your time are pretty slim. I’d say go try it out.

Comment

Looks good to me. You might want to contact Judo Canada, which is the NGB for Judo in that Country.
            "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
            X