Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1point2: Do you teach Judo at your Isshin-Ryu school?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sochin101 View Post
    Agreed...
    Have there been any serious injuries in 1point2's school?
    I'm not sure, but I wish he'd reconsider the video idea? I would pay heavy gold for a live webcam feed.

As an aside, 'Japanese' jujitsu schools have been teaching judo techniques alongside krotty techniques for years.
    Yes, and if they are competent grapplers, it's pretty safe. If they're not, then they will probably learn that a breaking neck makes a pretty cool sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefron View Post
      But someone for some reason would want to train his krotty which he is competent to teach, so we should not make him look incompetent to teach that.
      I cannot make him look incompetent at this point. Only he himself can do that. Also, I have no problem with him teaching krotty.

The grappling portion that he teaches is crap for sure, but i don't think his striking is much better.
      Are you sure you meant to write your statement this way? It sounds as if you don't think he is competent to teach striking.

Comment

Originally posted by Cy Q. Faunce View Post
        I'm not sure, but I wish he'd reconsider the video idea? I would pay heavy gold for a live webcam feed.
        Your cufflinks are no good here, sir.

I was just wondering whether you were reacting to evidence or whether it was just, you know, a feeling.

Comment

I have no problem with him teaching krotty.

It sounds as if you don't think he is competent to teach striking.
          The krotty includes the groundwork. They are not distinct.

Nefron is saying that the Isshinryu striking is piss-poor anyway. I agree, for the most part. The difference is, he understands the difference between piss-poor and not qualified to teach. That was my point regarding aikido and point sparring.

It's entirely reasonable to say that aikido, point sparring, non-alive JJJ, and Isshinryu are crap, to recommend people not do them, to tell people to leave such schools, to start an investigation when they start making The Deadly claims.

It is not reasonable to say that an Isshinryu instructor, or a JJJ instructor who teaches entirely dead techniques, or an aikido instructor, or a point-sparring TKD instructor, isn't qualified to teach.

Comment

His art consists of grappling and striking and he is competent to teach both.In my opinion his art is crap.

Edit: The above post is spot on.That is exactly I was trying to say.
            Last edited by Nefron; 6/10/2009 1:11pm, .

Comment

His art consists of grappling and striking and he is competent to teach both.In my opinion his art is crap.
              See? There you go.

Comment

Your cufflinks are no good here, sir.

I was just wondering whether you were reacting to evidence or whether it was just, you know, a feeling.
                Do we have to wait for someone to die or be badly hurt to reach a judgment on the safety of this practice? Do we have to wait until the students get pwnt in a fight before we doubt its effectiveness?

Comment

Yeh, I'm in agreement with Nefron here.

Comment

The issue of competence to teach grappling is strongly linked to the issue of one's understanding of grappling. A few months of judo and some dead drills don't make him competent to introduce aliveness into a tradition of dead drills. It's not safe for him to do that unsupervised.

Comment

Do we have to wait for someone to die or be badly hurt to reach a judgment on the safety of this practice? Do we have to wait until the students get pwnt in a fight before we doubt its effectiveness?
                      The only reason I asked was that you've pointed out on a couple of occasions that we're posting on Bullshido.
                      I thought we were about evidence and education.
                      And fightin', natch.

I can't possibly disagree with your intentions, though.

Comment

So you are saying that if he keeps doing only compliant drills it would be ok?Makes sense, i don't really know what to say about this one.Letting noobs loose on each other can be very dangerous.

1.2 what kind of sparring/rolling you do in your school?Do they only try a few escapes while their partner is ressisting, or do they do real free rolling, throwing each other and actively seeking subs?

Comment

The only reason I asked was that you've pointed out on a couple of occasions that we're posting on Bullshido.
                          I thought we were about evidence and education.
                          And fightin', natch.

I can't possibly disagree with your intentions, though.
                          Evidence is excellent, but we shouldn't go to the extreme of pure empiricism. If we see a pattern fail often enough, we should be able to extrapolate from evidence.

Comment

So you are saying that if he keeps doing only compliant drills it would be ok?
                            It would still be bullshido and he should still get raked over the coals for it, but it wouldn't be as dangerous.

Makes sense, i don't really know what to say about this one.Letting noobs loose on each other can be very dangerous.
                            Agreed. I really want that webcam. I want sound, too. Ever heard someone eat a salad?

Comment

The reason I asked if someone else was more competent (and my followup question was going to be "Is he there when you teach" thank you for answering unasked) is to address the complaints that this is no different then an underbelt/junior at a grappling club teaching basics. When that happens, there's correction availible.

A couple things: Not "claiming to teach" something you are teaching is not a defense.

Being CREDENTIALED to teach isshinryu doesn't confer any competence. Isshinryu standards are notoriously uneven.

Comment

Evidence is excellent, but we shouldn't go to the extreme of pure empiricism. If we see a pattern fail often enough, we should be able to extrapolate from evidence.
                                I have no real problem with that... but your point about safety doesn't hold up under that. There's no established pattern (no broken necks) in 1.2's school, so are we to assume that compliant judo is the way forwards?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X