Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1point2: Do you teach Judo at your Isshin-Ryu school?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You could solve all this by just practicing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, you know...

Comment

I personally don't teach new guys anything.

I mean if I did that, how the fuck would a be able to beat them in randori? It's my only validation.

Comment

Psh. The trick to teach them all the wrong things, not teach them nothing. For instance, the best defense from a Sumi Gaeshi grip is to stand straight up and verbally encourage your partner to put their foot next to your cock.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyCache View Post
          So which crap are you teaching, the compliant crap you actually have a background in or the good stuff that's made crap by your inexperience?
          I think you know that this is a false dichotomy. The techniques are the same--a bridge escape from mount is, well, a bridge escape from mount--and are/were usually taught as a compliant technique (waza). I have emphasized alive drilling with the same technique, and encouraged people to roll in order to actually learn it. I did this before I started judo separately.

CQ, I agree--this is Bullshido.net and we don't like compliant techniques.

Comment

1point2, do you teach grappling techniques at your school?

If so, does your judo experience inform this instruction?

Comment

Originally posted by Cy Q. Faunce View Post
              1point2, do you teach grappling techniques at your school?

If so, does your judo experience inform this instruction?
              1. Yes.

2. Loaded question. If I say yes, OMG I'm teaching judo as a green belt. If I say no, suddenly I'm disingenuous because it's ridiculous to say that rolling 2x/week doesn't inform my pre-existing mount escape. If your judo instructor started training BJJ, would you say that his BJJ experience informs his judo instruction?

My judo experience does not directly inform my grappling instruction; I do not take techniques and teach them the next day/week/whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by 1point2 View Post
                If you read the thread in "Aikido USA: worst dojo in the history of the world" you'll get the details in exquisite e-drama form, Sirc.
                https://www.bullshido.net/forums/node/86106 for reference.

Comment

Are you the most qualified grappler at your isshinryu school?

Comment

1. Yes.
                    Do you think you're qualified to do so?

2. Loaded question. If I say yes, OMG I'm teaching judo as a green belt. If I say no, suddenly I'm disingenuous because it's ridiculous to say that rolling 2x/week doesn't inform my pre-existing mount escape. If your judo instructor started training BJJ, would you say that his BJJ experience informs his judo instruction?
                    Are you claiming a similar crossover between your judo and your crappling?

Also, when did you earn your green belt in judo?

My judo experience does not directly inform my grappling instruction; I do not take techniques and teach them the next day/week/whatever.
                    OK, so what do you do?
                    Last edited by Cy Q. Faunce; 6/10/2009 10:19am, . Reason: Added question about the green belt.

Comment

Have you explored the idea of getting your Judo instructor and/or another higher rank in to teach your karate guys once or twice a week?

Comment

Pointy-- see other thread. Basically it's not an option.

Johnny-- I don't understand the question. I think not; a fellow instructor is far superior.

CQ--In reverse order of your questions: I teach the same techniques that have been in the American Budo Kai / Jersey Judo Karate Kai syllabus since it was created. I got my green belt a couple weeks ago. Yes I feel qualified to teach what I teach; considering we don't make any claims to judo, BJJ, or being a grappling school.

This has all been hashed out in the other thread.

Comment

Johnny-- I don't understand the question. I think not; a fellow instructor is far superior.
                          What is his experience? Is it in compliant or non-compliant grappling? Does he supervise your teaching?

CQ--In reverse order of your questions: I teach the same techniques that have been in the American Budo Kai / Jersey Judo Karate Kai syllabus since it was created. I got my green belt a couple weeks ago. Yes I feel qualified to teach what I teach; considering we don't make any claims to judo, BJJ, or being a grappling school.
                          So you teach crappling and that makes it okay? Sorry, no.

Comment

So you teach crappling and that makes it okay? Sorry, no.
                            When a judo school teaches compliant striking for their kata, is that crap striking? Is that OK?

Comment

When a judo school teaches compliant striking for their kata, is that crap striking? Is that OK?
                              I don't care for compliant atemi-waza, no. Why do you ask?

Comment

I don't care for compliant atemi-waza, no. Why do you ask?
                                How would you feel if your judo instructor, on kata days, said "we're not doing that pretend crap anymore" and had you do live drilling of uki-goshi, seoinage, and ura nage against a partner wearing gloves?

http://judoinfo.com/katanage.htm see Seoinage and Ura Nage
                                http://www.gavle.to/~tommy.selggren/...e_tachiai.html

I mean, first of all, War Wheel would make a mess in his pants.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X