Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1point2: Do you teach Judo at your Isshin-Ryu school?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cybren View Post
    So at what point in your training would you feel comfortable teaching someone else a triangle?
    Probably never. I'm good at teaching things as I've taught many other things outside of martial arts. I.E. Driving, English, Math, Computer stuff, dance, etc. But I don't think I would feel "comfortable" teaching someone. Feel qualified? Probably when you yourself don't fall into the traps that you're trying to teach them to not fall into.

Originally posted by Hedgehogey View Post
    I've been doing BJJ for six years and I barely feel comfortable teaching begginers.
    Exactly. So 1 year of Judo does not an instructor in "basics" makes. I've been doing TKD for 10~ years now and I don't feel comfortable teaching anything to beginning TKD people. Much less running around telling people about it on a website that makes it a point to investigate people who are doing stupid shit like this.

Comment

Originally posted by cj View Post
      Seriously Sharing=teaching???
      He's got an instructor tag and his school says he's teaching them "grappling." And he's stated that he's INSTRUCTING Judo techniques at his Dojo.

It's not sharing, dumbass.

Comment

I think I'll start making threads whenever I feel like farting too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirc View Post
          He's got an instructor tag and his school says he's teaching them "grappling." And he's stated that he's INSTRUCTING Judo techniques at his Dojo.

It's not sharing, dumbass.
          In general dumbass, i dont give a flying fuck what 4point9 teaches

Comment

1.2 is no where near equivalent to 4.9!

Comment

So, what, you've decided to troll with this thread for shits and giggles? As you definitely know the answer to this. You've had it answered in another thread already. So what was the point?

I don't even bother following these thing that closely and I can give you the answer to your question. 1.2's version of Isshin ryu had judo incorporated into it a number of instructors ago by a verified judo BB, as this has progressed through instructors it has gone from restistive judo style teaching to unresisting krotty style teaching. 1.2 is trying to get those moves that are already taught in his isshin ryu syllabus again taught the judo way rather than the krotty way.

How hard is that for you to understand? Are you just being obtuse, or are you really being that annoying whiney little prick in the corner who likes to go "but why?" in their little falsetto voice?

Comment

Seriously. I want to go into a 4 paragraph (AKA College Paper minimum requirement) dissertation about how much of a retard you are and how you're completely missing the point and how your analogy is so off-base, Sammy Sosa would have an anal fissure, but you wouldn't get that either.
                No, I got your point, I just think it is invalid. You are getting all pissy because an isshin-ryu karate instructor has incorporated grappling into his curriculum. You think that he is being misleading, and possibly crappling. What I am saying is that though he is not qualified to teach judo, he is in fact qualified to teach certain things based on his experience.

He has competition experience, he randoris against higher ranks on a regular basis. Anything he is teaching he has used against a fully resisting opponent numerous times. I would contend that coupling these facts with the assumption that he is a skilled teacher would make me comfortable with him teaching things he himself has used in a competitive setting, especially when it is complimentary to his art. For example, I doubt he flips through the 1001 submission book, sees a gogoplata and says "I'm gonna teach THIS today!". If he is, thats wrong. However, if he is saying "this is a sprawl to keep things standing, this is a gaurd to control your opponent if you wind up on bottom, this is how you stand up from underneath someone so you can karate them from your feet," as I would assume he is doing, he is qualified to do this.

If you or hedge don't feel comfortable teaching, I would submit it is because you are uncomfortable teaching and NOT because you are not qualified (at least hedge, I have no idea what sirc's qualifications are, if any). I know of many good bjj schools where a blue belt will be sent off to teach white belts basics. I personally have been shown many little things that have tightened my game up tremendously by various blue belts in bjj and brown belts in judo. That doesn't even mean they were necessarily more skilled grapplers than I am, just that they saw a technical flaw that if corrected, meant I would be even better.

In summation, I understand your point. I consider it rediculous. I honestly hoped that you training with Omega would somehow calm your incessant need to just spout shit about everyone from your imaginary high ground. At least when hedge does it, he has verifiable skills. Meet one person from bullshido, post one sparring video under the unified rules, give yourself one ounce of creditibility, then start speaking like you know something.

Comment

Exactly. So 1 year of Judo does not an instructor in "basics" makes. I've been doing TKD for 10~ years now and I don't feel comfortable teaching anything to beginning TKD people. Much less running around telling people about it on a website that makes it a point to investigate people who are doing stupid shit like this.
                  Damn sirc, you're a fucking douchebag. Quit comparing everybody else to yourself.
                  Just because you don't have a lick of talent when it comes to reteaching the martial arts you've learned...
                  I'm damn sure I'm not gonna need ten years of judo to teach someone a basic hip toss or arm throw.

Comment

Isn't this just trolling??? Its a subject thread that has been well discussed and answered before.The fact the 2 wads leading the charge didn't like the answer means squat.

The fact the 2 wads leading the charge are also known names here doesn't make it any less a troll job.

So why is it in YMAS?? surely its Sheerdog/trollshido material??

edit:for spelling

Comment

If 1point2 were teaching under the supervision of someone with a lot of grappling experience, that would be one thing. That happens in judo schools everywhere, and it is fine.

If he were teaching at a school which until very recently taught judo with randori, that would also pose no difficulty. There would probably be someone to supervise him who had adequate skills.

However, my understanding is that neither of these conditions hold true. The judo black belt is very far in the school's past -- in fact, he died in 1984, I believe -- and the techniques he introduced into the curriculum haven't been practiced with aliveness for a long time. Judo without aliveness is just crappy jujutsu.

Without a supervisor experienced in grappling to correct his errors, then, 1point2 has no business teaching grappling at his level of experience. This would be true even if he were very talented; it takes experience to learn how to teach something, even if one has a natural gift for doing it. His competition record does not suggest that he is talented.

Full disclosure: It was I who mentioned 1point2 to Sirc, and mentioned the fact that he teaches grappling at his isshinryu school. I did not do so in the expectation that Sirc would start this thread, but I don't see the problem with it. Maybe it would have been better to make a response in a previous thread where 1point2's actions were being discussed, but that's a pretty minor quibble IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by honesty View Post
                        1.2's version of Isshin ryu had judo incorporated into it a number of instructors ago by a verified judo BB, as this has progressed through instructors it has gone from restistive judo style teaching to unresisting krotty style teaching. 1.2 is trying to get those moves that are already taught in his isshin ryu syllabus again taught the judo way rather than the krotty way.

How hard is that for you to understand? Are you just being obtuse, or are you really being that annoying whiney little prick in the corner who likes to go "but why?" in their little falsetto voice?
                        This is pretty much the entire story. If you read the thread in "Aikido USA: worst dojo in the history of the world" you'll get the details in exquisite e-drama form, Sirc. Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier.

As for Beorn's points, let me say that while I appreciate him having my back, I am NOT--repeat, not now and at no point in the past--coming back from my few months of judo and saying "Now I can teach this at karate!" I am not relying on my judo experience, nor my limited and poor-performing judo competition record, to teach anything at all. We specifically state that we do not teach or give rank in judo.

Sirc and Hedge--and apparently CQ--really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, seriously REALLY don't like the fact that the judo techniques incorporated by Dale Jenkins were taught as compliant.

Comment

I was just going over some things with someone and you were mentioned. Yes, I talk about people on here. Mostly just making fun of people, unless there's some reason why I respect you.

But from what I understand Mr. 1point2 is that you've only had 1 year of Judo and are now incorporating it into your Isshin-Ryu dojo? Really?

If you are, could you please explain to me what you are teaching? Tachiwaza and Newaza? Kata? Just the basic principles?

What rank do you hold?

I'm putting this in YMAS right now because well.. Isshin-Ryu it's comical more than harmful at the moment since it's just speculation.

Your brother in Kali,

Sirc
                          Hi Sirc. Nice to hear from you.

I have not had 1 year of judo; I started in November 2008.

I am not incorporating the judo I am learning now into my Isshin-Ryu dojo. Everything was incorporated by Dale Jenkins, who is several lineage-generations above me, before his death in 1984.

As I have stated consistently, we occasionally teach some fundamentals--kesagatame, bridge escape, scissor sweep, RNC, for example. Some students practice newaza randori. There is no tachiwaza randori; throws are practiced as waza only.

I am a nidan in American Budo kai (was Judo Karate Kai before Dale Jenkins died and there was a split) Isshinryu and a yonkyu in judo.

Your brother in Pentjak Silat,

Comment

Originally posted by cj View Post
                            In general dumbass, i dont give a flying fuck what 4point9 teaches
                            Originally posted by Cybren View Post
                            1.2 is no where near equivalent to 4.9!
                            OMG! He's inflating his rank, too?

BURN THE HERETIC!

Comment

Originally posted by 1point2 View Post
                              Sirc and Hedge--and apparently CQ--really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, seriously REALLY don't like the fact that the judo techniques incorporated by Dale Jenkins were taught as compliant.
                              Which website is this, again?

Comment

So which crap are you teaching, the compliant crap you actually have a background in or the good stuff that's made crap by your inexperience?

Also LO L THIS IS YMAS MAKING FUN OF SIRC MAKES THE THREAD GO AWAY LOL YAY MEMEPIC !1!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X