Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Particular style that really empthasizes/trains strong footwork?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Particular style that really empthasizes/trains strong footwork?

Any thoughts on this? It seems Shotokan is getting a lot of attention for obvious reasons, any other styles that really strengthen this important trait in a fighter?

I've heard boxing has a strong emphasis on footwork.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Comment

Boxing?

It seems odd that you would ask this, as some of the best footwork I've ever seen comes from high level boxers. Look at PBF.

Machida is just one of the first guys to really, really abuse footwork in the MMA ring - though Anderson Silva does so too (see the Patrick Cote fight for great examples). Silva is a Muay Thai/boxing guy.

Comment

Originally posted by 1point2 View Post
        I've heard boxing has a strong emphasis on footwork.
        so yeah I hate you for ninja'ing me by 2 seconds.

Comment

Yes, boxing has easily the best foot work training of any martial art. The thing about boxing is that footwork training is done in basically every aspect of training and a good boxing coach will always be pounding into your head how you should be moving your feet in everything.
          Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Comment

I agree with the others who have posted. Boxing and Muay Thai incorporate solid footwork (chiefly push stepping). Also, Escrima has solid footwork (triangular movement).

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzylogic View Post
              Any thoughts on this? It seems Shotokan is getting a lot of attention for obvious reasons, any other styles that really strengthen this important trait in a fighter?
              Sorry, but I miss the "obvious reasons" about Shotokan footwork.
              It seems to me that footwork would be critical to all stand-up styles. so which aren't good for footwork?
              Of course we could all cross train in Riverdance...

Comment

I agree with the others who have posted. Boxing and Muay Thai incorporate solid footwork (chiefly push stepping). Also, Escrima has solid footwork (triangular movement).

Comment

Muaythai gyms typically have no where near the focus on footwork that boxing gyms do. In fact, it's very rare that amateur muaythai fighters (and even some pros) have any real concept of ring generalship.
                  Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Comment

Thanks for the replies, gents. That helps a ton and I'm glad I have a good boxing place nearby. And they're so cheap!

2groggy, my 'obvious reasons' remark was in said in light of all the current threads concerning Lyoto Machida, a 205'lber for the UFC who recently took the LHW title and whose style is based on Shotokan Karate, and all the discussion concerning his footwork. I was curious, judging based on footwork alone, what MA tended to emphasize this the most. Sorry it was unclear to you. But your opposite question, which AREN'T good for footwork, does interest me. Kyokushin Karate?

Comment

Boxing, Savate, any alive contact weapon art(FMA and ARMA in particular). Generally weapon arts are particularly good at training up ambidexterous footwork that isn't a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzylogic View Post
                        Thanks for the replies, gents. That helps a ton and I'm glad I have a good boxing place nearby. And they're so cheap!

2groggy, my 'obvious reasons' remark was in said in light of all the current threads concerning Lyoto Machida, a 205'lber for the UFC who recently took the LHW title and whose style is based on Shotokan Karate, and all the discussion concerning his footwork. I was curious, judging based on footwork alone, what MA tended to emphasize this the most. Sorry it was unclear to you. But your opposite question, which AREN'T good for footwork, does interest me. Kyokushin Karate?
                        you know it kinda bugs me when people hold up one person as proof of an entire system being effective like that. id say a lot of karate styles (like shotokan) have in general pretty crap footwork. i think a shout out needs to go to judo and wrestling, for stability.

Comment

Another (unnecessary now it seems) vote for boxing.

As a former shotokan practitioner I have to say that the footwork is woefully linear.

I don't recognise much (if anything) in Machida's footwork that makes me go "ZOMG shotokan!".
                          Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Comment

Oh, wasn't saying it was so much ME holding him up on a pedestal, just the overwhelming amount of threads focused on him, and his footwork, and Shotokan. Sorry if my mentioning it bothered anyone.

Thanks for all the other posts, glad to know the boxing will keep me on a good path.

Comment

I would think that Machida's success has a lot more to do with how he trains, than what he trains. ie: with aliveness and resistance.

i think a shout out needs to go to judo and wrestling, for stability.
                              And both teach good footwork.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X