Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asheboro Kenjutsu - McDojo?

http://www.asheborokenjutsu.com/faqs.html

How long will it take to get a black belt?

Sorry, but we don't use a belt system at this time, so a better question would be: "How long will it take for me to master the sword?". Truthfully, a lifetime to master it, but I can make you very good with the katana in about a year. "KILL BILL" good.

Originally posted by lethalblackbelt View Post
    It is possible that it is a McDojo.

It is certainly Bullshido.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Comment

From their website, the chief instructor is teaching a self-created style one hour per week, plus feedback on videos emailed from home. He doesn't hold any rank in any legitimate Japanese sword art, but has friends who studied ninjutsu, kendo, and iaido, who showed him some things. Part of the training requirements include captive equipment sales. He won't tell you how much it costs until you go in person for a sales pitch.

Draw your own conclusions.

(If you're looking for a legitimate JSA dojo, try the Kendo World forums or e-budo.com.)

Comment

Oh, dear. Not only are they bullshido, they're a significant safety hazard: they sell "wall hanger" swords which they advertise as good for tameshigiri. :(

And they're the only "JSA" dojo I've ever seen that uses Tae Kwon Do hogu. And fukuro shinai are not made with foam. And I'll refrain from commenting on the form displayed in those videos.

Comment

MABS Cull

"You'll learn how you can easily defeat armed attackers (even with guns) with either the blade in your hand, or the blade that you throw."

wtf 0_o?!?

Oh lookie here...he disabled comments on his videos...I wonder why...

"We will endure no vulgar insults by "invisible experts".

Oh I guess that's why XD.
          Last edited by newbie999; 6/08/2009 8:42pm, .

Comment

Armed attackers with guns? Oh, dear. Someone has been reading Street Sword, haven't they? :sigh:

Comment

Further investigation of this individual: http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21139

Comment

Look like Bullshido? Check.
                Look like McDojo? Check.
                Look like cult? Certainly displays the warning signs...

Comment

after watching the video on his site and reading this quote:

Yesterday, 02:51 PM
                  Bruce Mitchell
                  Yudansha

"You can tell that his sword style is ancient by watching his hasuji...his cuts all target hobbits and dwarves."

That would be the second time I almost pissed myself... the first being after reading Phrost's mag vocer of Phil Elmore "how to keep homeless negroes at bay."

This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

Comment

Originally posted by futabachan View Post
                    Oh, dear. Not only are they bullshido, they're a significant safety hazard: they sell "wall hanger" swords which they advertise as good for tameshigiri. :(

And they're the only "JSA" dojo I've ever seen that uses Tae Kwon Do hogu. And fukuro shinai are not made with foam. And I'll refrain from commenting on the form displayed in those videos.

I've had a similar experience with a group that claimed to be teaching Iaido. Turned out to be a large children's group of TKD students with foam swords, lumberjack matches, and a 12 year old daughter of the instructor teaching "the thing were you stab like its a pool stick..thingy". The same school was the like that claimed traditional teachings were a thing of the past etc etc. Its becoming a common theme.

Regarding OP's school, pure Bullshido. From the video, looks like he just had a buddy with iai or kendo experience show him a kata or two and then picked up a few books at B&N. Just my guess.

Edit: By the way, I was born in Asheboro. Small town really, easy mcdojo spot.
                    Last edited by Big_Boss; 6/09/2009 3:32pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by futabachan View Post
                      From their website, the chief instructor is teaching a self-created style one hour per week, plus feedback on videos emailed from home. He doesn't hold any rank in any legitimate Japanese sword art, but has friends who studied ninjutsu, kendo, and iaido, who showed him some things. Part of the training requirements include captive equipment sales. He won't tell you how much it costs until you go in person for a sales pitch.

Draw your own conclusions.

(If you're looking for a legitimate JSA dojo, try the Kendo World forums or e-budo.com.)
                      Half my students hold black belts in other arts, yet they come to me for training. Maybe we shouldn't jump to conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Boss View Post
                        I've had a similar experience with a group that claimed to be teaching Iaido. Turned out to be a large children's group of TKD students with foam swords, lumberjack matches, and a 12 year old daughter of the instructor teaching "the thing were you stab like its a pool stick..thingy". The same school was the like that claimed traditional teachings were a thing of the past etc etc. Its becoming a common theme.

Regarding OP's school, pure Bullshido. From the video, looks like he just had a buddy with iai or kendo experience show him a kata or two and then picked up a few books at B&N. Just my guess.

Edit: By the way, I was born in Asheboro. Small town really, easy mcdojo spot.
                        Then you're just as full of crap as I am! Nothing good in Asheboro? What's wrong with you, you pompous, arrogant NOBODYs. Heckle away FROM THE SIDELINES, armchair warriors. And don't lump me with TKD, a laughable martial art. And next time, notify me if you wish to slander me! Cowards behind computer screens, we hang on your every rude word.
                        john

Comment

Originally posted by 1point2 View Post
                          It is possible that it is a McDojo.

It is certainly Bullshido.
                          A McDojo, like a McDonalds franchise? Isn't the problem that I am not a franchise and you are, with your purchased ranks?

Comment

That's not what McDojo means http://www.bullshido.org/McDojo basically a dojo run to extract maximum profits without necesarrily teaching effective MA or adhering to standards. If I was you I'd worry more about being called bullshido http://www.bullshido.org/Bullshido

Comment

Originally posted by John Sutton View Post
                              A McDojo, like a McDonalds franchise? Isn't the problem that I am not a franchise and you are, with your purchased ranks?
                              You're confusing me with someone else. I have never purchased ranks in anything. I've paid for physical belts--five bucks, you know, like when you're given rank but the judo sensei wants you to buy the actual piece of cloth--but never paid a testing fee.

My nidan was from ~eight years of study at 1 karate dojo. My yonkyu is from six months of study at 1 judo dojo.

In short, shut the fuck up you mis-targeting jackass.
                              What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X