Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I change schools?

Hi,

I am a new here so let me give you a little back info. I've been taking Shorinji ryu karate in Guelph, Ontario since 2006. I'm currently expected to receive my first degree black belt in June of 2010. This school has an amazing and dedicated instructor, but lackluster students. That is to say, most of the students are under the age of 16. There is about 10 adults. This school, in my mind, is more or less a cheaper daycare alternative (of which is about $120.00 a month). Under my instructor, I've worked on my striking which resembles that of a full contact kyokushin fighter. He is very open to MMA, and actively promotes it. I have also been introduced into basic BJJ techniques (transitions, sweeps, locks, chokes) etc. but the rest of the techniques came from youtube videos.

My dilemma now is do I change my school to take it to the next level? I was looking into a boxing school that is significantly cheaper then what i am taking right now, and offers more sparring time, and technique enhancing (too much of my time at Karate is wasted on Kata). Or, do I stick it through. It would be odd for me to be limited to only fist strikes after practicing with my feet, elbows and knees as well.

I am very interested in increasing my MMA knowledge, and would look at all possibilities. There is a great grappling school near me, but I see striking as a priority. Is boxing the route to go?
    Last edited by StukovCA; 6/07/2009 9:19pm, .

go to the boxing gym for a fews sessions, and youll realise the answer pretty damn quickly.

Comment

Here are two Shorinji ryu fighters going at it. One of them also trained boxing. Can you tell which one?

YouTube - Fred Ettish. Fetal Fighter
      Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
      Luta Livre flees the fight,
      Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
      Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Comment

You need to cross-train at the least. Whether you want to keep going to the old school is up to you.
        What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Comment

I agree with the previous posters. I'd definitely recommend cross training at the very least. Go check out a MT/MMA school if that is what you are interested and note the differences. I'd also recommend, however, stay on at least until you get your black belt. There are those here who'd disagree, but I believe when you are this close, you may as well stay on and get the rank. Its a good thing both in and outside the MA world.

Comment

Poor white guy. He got a beating. But to that ealier poster, please don't underestimate the importance of Kata. It is at the heart of Karate my Sensei says. YOu can learn alot of things from the forms employed.

:thumbsup:

Maybe do Boxing once you get blackbelt. ANyway can't you just buy a couple of pads and spar with you mates like I do??

Comment

Originally posted by ninjaboj View Post
              Poor white guy. He got a beating. But to that ealier poster, please don't underestimate the importance of Kata. It is at the heart of Karate my Sensei says. YOu can learn alot of things from the forms employed.

:thumbsup:

Maybe do Boxing once you get blackbelt. ANyway can't you just buy a couple of pads and spar with you mates like I do??
              Please don't post any more "advice" for newbies. Or anyone else.
              What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Comment

Maybe he should keep posting so the mod's can give him the dumbass tag ^_^.

Comment

I appreciate all of your opinions, and will take them into consideration.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by StukovCA View Post
                    Hi,

I am a new here so let me give you a little back info. I've been taking Shorinji ryu karate in Guelph, Ontario since 2006. I'm currently expected to receive my first degree black belt in June of 2010. This school has an amazing and dedicated instructor, but lackluster students. That is to say, most of the students are under the age of 16. There is about 10 adults. This school, in my mind, is more or less a cheaper daycare alternative (of which is about $120.00 a month). Under my instructor, I've worked on my striking which resembles that of a full contact kyokushin fighter. He is very open to MMA, and actively promotes it. I have also been introduced into basic BJJ techniques (transitions, sweeps, locks, chokes) etc. but the rest of the techniques came from youtube videos.

My dilemma now is do I change my school to take it to the next level? I was looking into a boxing school that is significantly cheaper then what i am taking right now, and offers more sparring time, and technique enhancing (too much of my time at Karate is wasted on Kata). Or, do I stick it through. It would be odd for me to be limited to only fist strikes after practicing with my feet, elbows and knees as well.

I am very interested in increasing my MMA knowledge, and would look at all possibilities. There is a great grappling school near me, but I see striking as a priority. Is boxing the route to go?
                    Ok, your post has raised several issues:

First: If your instructor "... is very open to MMA, and actively promotes it" why aren't you guys sparring more. The two seem in direct odds with one another.

Second: Define "increasing your MMA knowledge"? Are you wanting to compete in MMA, see what it is like training MMA or just tell people you train MMA?

Third: Are there any "good" MMA schools in your area? How do you know if they are good? Try searching the school reviews for your area and see what other posters have said. Or visit them, for a free demo lesson.

Fourth: "MMA" is training under a ruleset with several varied factors. Boxing is going to be good for your hands. You will learn the 5-basic foodgroups of punches, however if you are wanting to actually compete MMA, you will learn to clinch in boxing which will leave you open to a couple of things legal in MMA that aren't legal in boxing.

You have gotten some good solid advice from several of the posters, flesh out what you are wanting and you will get even more.

Good luck and Welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                      Ok, your post has raised several issues:

First: If your instructor "... is very open to MMA, and actively promotes it" why aren't you guys sparring more. The two seem in direct odds with one another.

Second: Define "increasing your MMA knowledge"? Are you wanting to compete in MMA, see what it is like training MMA or just tell people you train MMA?

Third: Are there any "good" MMA schools in your area? How do you know if they are good? Try searching the school reviews for your area and see what other posters have said. Or visit them, for a free demo lesson.

Fourth: "MMA" is training under a ruleset with several varied factors. Boxing is going to be good for your hands. You will learn the 5-basic foodgroups of punches, however if you are wanting to actually compete MMA, you will learn to clinch in boxing which will leave you open to a couple of things legal in MMA that aren't legal in boxing.

You have gotten some good solid advice from several of the posters, flesh out what you are wanting and you will get even more.

Good luck and Welcome.
                      Thank you for the warm welcome, I'll make an attempt to address your points.

My Instructor is an avid fan of MMA however even he admits his grappling knowledge is limited. He primarily trains in a "kickboxing" style. I believe the politics of his position as a Karate instructor obligates him (He is not the head of the school) to perform the ridiculous kata (However, I do scene he himself is a fan of them as well).

Secondly, I cannot answer this exactly as I myself do not know yet. I am looking for a great conditioning workout, and technique development. I love grappling, however I feel striking is a more essential base then grappling. For practical reasons, I will limit this answer as to "self defense" and perhaps amateur fighting under MMA rules.

Third, the only two credited schools around my area is a boxing school which I am looking into, and a judo/BJJ school which is credited under the Gracie family. There is no Muay Thai to my disappointment. However, due to limitations in my schedule, I feel that I may be able to only do one or the other, as they are conflicting times (4x week 2h each).

I understand the limitations boxing has, however I feel it would be an improvement over the training I am doing, if not only for stronger conditioning.

I also fear that my school is a McDojo especially after considering it's limited sparring, "black belt club" (granted black belts still take about 3-5 years, however it's more or less a guarantee), overpriced monthly fee, the black belt grading price ($500! for BB grading) and "Black belt excellence emphases". I, myself do not care much for this considering with my limited training, I am stronger then most of the instructors there which has frightened me to question the quality of the school. It will be a shame to leave my friends, but I feel it would be for the best.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!
                      Last edited by StukovCA; 6/10/2009 4:22pm, .

Comment

My dilemma now is do I change my school to take it to the next level?
                        How fast can the words "oh, christ yes" register to you?
                        Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Comment

Third, the only two credited schools around my area is a boxing school which I am looking into, and a judo/BJJ school which is credited under the Gracie family.
                          Why not watch/take a free class at each? Compare prices, training, people, etc. before you make your decision.

Make sure to share your experiences back here after you do; qualified boxing and BJJ members here might be able to find red flags or good signs based on your report.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                          X