No announcement yet.

Blind BJJ training?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I routinely try to Roll based on touch sensitivity over my visuals. I've found that-- just like in striking-- you can often accidentally telegraph an attack's setup by looking at your target before attacking.

For example, if you're playing Spider Guard and you happen to be staring at your foot lodged in your opponent's bicep, he's gonna sense the Triangle is coming. Or even just attacking for a regular Armbar from the Guard or Mount, if you stare at the arm you're going to attack, they tend to realize it's going to be attacked.

There's other benefits, too. For example, when on top in Guard or Mount, I intentionally don't look at my opponent, in order to keep better posture. Keeping my head up, eyes straight toward the wall, helps prevent my opponent from getting head control and breaking me down.

There are also times when you're not going to be able to see what your opponent is doing, and you're going to need to act based on touch alone, anyway. For example, if you are on bottom in a good Reverse Scarf Hold, you can't really see what your opponent is doing. You need to be able to judge his actions in other ways in order to properly defend.

--Joe

Comment

Honestly, when I first started attending BJJ I found my eyes closing on their own when rolling. It's weird, but I think I prefer blind newaza.
      "The pedant is he who finds it impossible to read criticism of himself without immediately reaching for his pen and replying to the effect that the accusation is a gross insult to his person. He is, in effect, a man unable to laugh at himself."Sigmund Freud, The Ego and the Id.

Comment

Comment

I've been encouraged to roll blindfolded with newer students, just to rely on sensitivity alone. It makes it somewhat difficult because you may not know where your opponent's hands are, but after some practice you'll be able to detect set-ups.

For those of you looking for a challenge, have you tried grappling while holding a tennis ball in each hand (so as to eliminate the use of your hands)? It forces you to take tighter positions and makes you rely on your core and hips a lot more.

Comment

Holding a tenis ball in your hand while sparring?(in grappling)

sounds like a good idea, I might try it out next time

Comment

Yes, you hold onto to a pair of tennis balls whilst rolling. You basically lose your ability to grip someone and are instead forced to use your forearms and elbows, tightening your positioning.

Comment

Originally posted by Ike View Post
                For those of you looking for a challenge, have you tried grappling while holding a tennis ball in each hand (so as to eliminate the use of your hands)? It forces you to take tighter positions and makes you rely on your core and hips a lot more.
                Can't say as I've ever done this, specifically, but I have rolled with some of my White Belts while deliberately not using my arms, at all.

Also, a Blue Belt from another school recently came to mine, and before we started rolling, he mentioned that he hadn't trained in the Gi in almost 2 years, and that he was much better at No-Gi. Because of that, when we started rolling, I intentionally refrained from taking any grips on him, with my hands, other than those which would also apply in a No-Gi situation.

I'll have to give the tennis ball thing a shot.

--Joe

Comment

I started at a school where, if you dramatically outclassed someone, the instructor would tell you to close your eyes and roll by feel.

I'm not totally sure it added anything to the equation, but the instructor clearly thought so.
                  I'm picturing you drooling onto the keyboard as you type, one eye rotating independent of the other as your hands mash the keys. - Sophist

Comment

I am nearly blind without my glasses, and I don't know how I survived sparring before I started wearing contact lenses lol.

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeWalker View Post
                      I am nearly blind without my glasses, and I don't know how I survived sparring before I started wearing contact lenses lol.
                      Hahaha, totally know that feeling, bro. My hand gets fuzzy six inches away from my face when I haven't got my contacts in.

--Joe

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                      X