Blind BJJ training?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blind BJJ training?

Some martial arts practice closed-eye sensitivity exercises. Wing chun does it's blindfolded chi sau, Some judo practicioners do closed-eye randori - and there are blind judo competitions, some tai chi people do push hands blinded and I even knew a blind guy that did push hands.

Does anybody do anything similar with BJJ? It seems like a practice like that could help with orientation on the ground, but as I don't practice BJJ, I wouldn't know for sure. Is there any benefit to practicing BJJ blind? Are there blind BJJ competitions?

Originally posted by 8bit View Post
    Some martial arts practice closed-eye sensitivity exercises. Wing chun does it's blindfolded chi sau, Some judo practicioners do closed-eye randori - and there are blind judo competitions, some tai chi people do push hands blinded and I even knew a blind guy that did push hands.

Does anybody do anything similar with BJJ? It seems like a practice like that could help with orientation on the ground, but as I don't practice BJJ, I wouldn't know for sure. Is there any benefit to practicing BJJ blind? Are there blind BJJ competitions?
    There are not blind BJJ competitions. There are blind BJJ competitors, in which case you are required to come to grips with the blind competitor before commencing any attacks (no shooting from way out, etc).

Some BJJ instructors encourage you to occasionally, especially when rolling with a more junior member of the club, close your eyes for a sparring session, but it is not often mandated.

Comment

Done blindfolded rolling. It's fun and gives a new perspetive. I don't know about blind BJJ comps.

Comment

Originally posted by 8bit View Post

My instructor, who teaches here in Austin, is legally blind from a gunshot wound to the head. It doesn't seem to slow him down on the mat.
        Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

Blindfury's a BJJ black belt, and he's legally blind as well.

Comment

i close my eyes a lot when i roll...

Comment

i have done blindfolded Grappling oddly enough in Goju-jitsu not BJJ, It's a good experience to teach you to react to what you feel rather than what you see.

Comment

Felipe Costa teaches blind kids in Brazil. He put up a pretty cool video of them competing: YouTube - Deficientes Visuais no Jiu-jitsu / Visual challenged kids @ BJJ

Jean Jacques had us roll with out eyes closed once, and honestly I can see how it could be useful, but for me it was really awkward and disconcerting.

Comment

One thing I liked about that video is that I genuinely couldn't tell who the blind one was till the fight was over.

Comment

I don't think that grappling blind would change too much. How many times have you felt your opponent try to grapevine you? Or known he was coming in for choke from the rear? Being blind or not doesn't change much if it's full-on mantastic rolling.

Comment

Every now and then I will turn the lights off in the dojo and everyone
                      grapples, I make sure between rounds that everyone has a hold of there
                      partner otherwise we have some confusion.

Grappling blindfolded is a good tool for sensitivity as you really have to use
                      your sense of feel for your partners weight rather then him looking off balance etc.

Comment

I've rolled with my eyes closed a few times. It made much less difference than I thought it would. It's interesting.

Comment

I've rolled blind folded quite a few times...sometimes I'll even close my eyes on purpose which makes me rely on my other senses...might sound weird but I've actually done a little better in some of those matches.

Comment

I have always been repremended on doing too much with my eyes closed. I am comfortable projecting the 3D image in my head, and knowing if someone is posting, or where there hands are. But sometime I fall asleep and miss something and pay for it.

Comment

this sounds interesting, I'm going to try and roll with a partner with my eyes closes or blindfolded, I guess I can use my hand wraps for the blind fold, lol....im going to clean them first though, but if I dont do that then I will do it with my eyes closed, any tips for me? as this will be my first time trying to do it

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X