Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A MA that covers grappling with animals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hornyhobo View Post
    If you're fighting a bear bare-handed, you're pretty much fucked. Simple as that. Those things can behead you in a single lazy swipe.

Against dogs, go watch The Dog Whisperer or something.
    unless your Chuck Noriss.

seriousness:if fighting bear, run for life, or try to find nearest object that can be used, or if you cant ran and the bear is to fast, I will probly go for the all might hand thrust in the breats throat as fast as possible, I heard its possible ot use on tigers and lions (I think), I wonder if bears have the same reaction,

or if your bad ass enough you can Rear naked choke it, till it tires down, But if your not crazy I would go with running for your life and finding the nearest weapon....or running for your life. if you do get a weapon thrust it down the bears throat (optional), Bears look so awsome yet they are so violent =(

Comment

Originally posted by Krat0s View Post
      unless your Chuck Noriss.

seriousness:if fighting bear, run for life, or try to find nearest object that can be used, or if you cant ran and the bear is to fast, I will probly go for the all might hand thrust in the breats throat as fast as possible, I heard its possible ot use on tigers and lions (I think), I wonder if bears have the same reaction,

or if your bad ass enough you can Rear naked choke it, till it tires down, But if your not crazy I would go with running for your life and finding the nearest weapon....or running for your life. if you do get a weapon thrust it down the bears throat (optional), Bears look so awsome yet they are so violent =(
      I wouldn't run unless you're with other people and the bear decides to chase them instead. If I remember correctly bears can run faster and longer than people can. Something like 30-40 mph.

Comment

I wouldn't run unless you're with other people and the bear decides to chase them instead. If I remember correctly bears can run faster and longer than people can. Something like 30-40 mph.
        Woah, well...if I were in a Bear confrontation scenario with multiple people, that would suck, we probly have to confuse it some how and try to choke it from the back and/or throw something down the bears throat,

I would be very cautious at the same time, or at least try to be....lol

Comment

Yeah - they're very fast over a short distance, and black bears are pretty good at climbing trees as well.

Luckily, every time I've run into bears hiking and camping around here, they either ran away or didn't show any interests in us. Friends of mine who've worked in the bush in northern Canada have been followed by bears before though - usually someone has a gun in those situations, or people carry 'bear bangers' (basically loud firecracker type things) to scare them away.

As far as fighting them, I've heard of people successfully warding off black bear attacks with sticks, or even unarmed, but you're basically fucked if a grizzly attacks you (see epic grizzly bear grappling vid below). They're just too big and powerful.

YouTube - Grizzly bear fight

Comment

LOLKIDO

Comment

Judo

In judo we have moves for dealing with cats. They include the hold-down known as "cat-a-gatame", the throw known as "cat-a-guruma", and the choke known as "cat-a-hajime".

Comment

Bears are so bad ass, they even own the lion....A Bear's fighting technique is pretty awsome, As soon as I see one I am walking away very slowly, I dont want to run so it would get any attention from me, unless I see it run at me, I would do my best to grab a near stick or weapon around, or rear naked choke,

any other proven things that work? besides the play dead thing? I probably wouldnt trust the play dead, I would be to scared to just sit there while a big giant ferocious bear is watching me

when ever I go hiking or camping I am bringing a Knife and hunting rifle, lol

Comment

The two things to use against bears are pepper spray and bells. Yes, small bells tied to your pants cuffs will make an annoying jingling noise that keeps bears away.

It is also good to know the two types of bears commonly found in North America. The presence of the black bear, which is relatively small, can be detected by its spoor, which smells like garbage. Its cousin, the larger brown bear, can be identified by its spoor as well. It jingles and smells like pepper.

Comment

Originally posted by Krat0s View Post

any other proven things that work? besides the play dead thing? I probably wouldnt trust the play dead, I would be to scared to just sit there while a big giant ferocious bear is watching me
                    The playing dead thing might work if a grizzly attacks, but black bears eat carrion so you'd just be making it easier for them.

Most of the time though, they'll leave you alone or even run away. I accidentally blundered into a fairly large black bear on a trail here a couple of years ago (like 5 feet away from us), and I just walked away slowly and kept in view the whole time. It ignored us, and continued on it's way. Your biggest worry is running into a mother with cubs - things can get hectic if momma bear sees you as threat.

Comment

Originally posted by DJR View Post
                      The playing dead thing might work if a grizzly attacks, but black bears eat carrion so you'd just be making it easier for them.

Most of the time though, they'll leave you alone or even run away. I accidentally blundered into a fairly large black bear on a trail here a couple of years ago (like 5 feet away from us), and I just walked away slowly and kept in view the whole time. It ignored us, and continued on it's way. Your biggest worry is running into a mother with cubs - things can get hectic if momma bear sees you as threat.
                      did you poop your pants? =p

Comment

This thread is incredibly stupid, but if we're exchanging bear data, bears have the keenest sense of smell of any mammal in N. America. However, they also have very poor vision. So stay still if you're upwind. The main thing to do is NEVER come between a mother bear and her cubs. You will probably die, even if you don't realize what's happening.

Bears can run faster than humans as has been mentioned before. You're better off yelling and screaming if you think you're done for, preferably with a big stick. Playing dead has worked for a few people who have been attacked. If a bear is circling around you at a distance you're being stalked.

Lastly, while a person could probably RNC a black bear, I doubt even a large human could get their arms in a RNC around a grizzly's neck. Their necks are simply too big.
                        Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

Dwight Schrute has spoken, folks.

YouTube - Dwight Schrute Bear Attack PSA

Comment

I vaguely recall seeing an old woodcut of an armored knight squaring off against a bear. The armor was studded with spikes and the knight was also holding a sword and dagger.

Interesting article on Bestiarii, Roman gladiators who specialized in fighting animals: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Peopl...as-52695.shtml

Check out the Bullshido.net Western Martial Arts Forum for all things Western, martial and arty.

Bartitsu: the Gentlemanly Art of Self Defence (est. 1899)

Comment

The bell thing seems like a good idea if you're alone, just so you don't surprise a bear. In a group people would probably get irritated and tell you to take it off, but groups make enough noise anyway.

I've heard how the gun ban in national parks might be relaxed, though personally I'm not sure I like the idea.

Comment

If you beat a baby bear with a large club, the mama bear will panic and run away or not.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X