My "I'm new here" post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My "I'm new here" post

Obiously, I'm new here. I'm 30 y.o. and just started shotokan karate in Philadelphia. I got tired of weightlifting to look good shirtless (I had no interest in being 200+ pounds of muscle, 175 is good enough for me.) and wanted something where I could train daily but not feel like it was an ego thing.

Welcome to Bullshido.

May I ask why you chose Shotokan over other martial arts schools in your area?

Comment

Why I chose Shotokan over other disciplines... (it's long)

I wish I could say something about Shotokan's history and a belief in its effectiveness but I'd be lying. Truthfully, one night when walking home I passed an Aikido dojo and saw a small piece of paper attached to the door listing karate and the hours listed. It was actually right around the beginning of the class so I thought I'd go check it out. I got up there and there was one guy, wearing the gi with a black belt, in the middle of the room doing kata (as I know now) by himself. He was so focused I didn't say anything and just watched for a few minutes. When he finished, he came over and we talked. It turned out the instructor wasn't there, he and his wife were in Japan, but they would be back in 2 weeks however I was welcome to come back on Monday and start learning. Nothing about money or contracts or anything. I went back on Monday (with my girlfriend) and there were two guys this time. The black belt and a brown belt. Together they showed us the basic stances and one punch and for two weeks it was all we did.

When the instructor came back, he gave us some more background and asked why we were there. He told us he didn't teach for competition but he had competed when younger, he gave us his history with Shotokan karate, his wife gave us her history with muay thai and her years of competitive history so we could check them both out. They gave us copies of her books on stretching and technique.

Now, I'm no fool, when the issue of payment came up I got serious about researching martial arts and found this site and sherdog, amongst others. I lurked for weeks just reading what people thought about karate, then about shotokan, then about okinawan karate, then about chinese martial arts, then mixed martial arts. I read black belt magazine back issues. I got a little obsessed with martial arts effectivenss. I reached the opinion that all arts were effective for self-defense if you trained them appropriately. Some take less time to achieve proficiency, some have more ritual attached to them, some jump to the point, some are centered around sport competition. I wanted self-defense but I also wanted more than fighting. I doubt I'll have more than 5 altercations in the rest of my life so I needed something I could still train in as I entered my 60's. Karate gave me all of those things and since Shotokan was associated by Funikoshi (sp?) I'd start there. I decided that if I liked the way my sensei taught, karate would give me a lifelong skill to master and I could always cross train other arts along the way. Oh yeah, I called my sensei's karate association and checked his resume, he was legit.

Comment

Kata's going to be very important, from the little I know about Shotokan Karate. I wanted fighting to be more important, but to each their own.

Comment

I train with a friend of mine who has a BB in Shotokan. She received it under Jimmy "The Jet" Blann. He is a local former full contact kickboxing champion.
          He does teach kata, but the sparring emphasis is on harder contact means better SD.

I am sure that not all schools are like this, but the three people I know that have received BB under him are good sparrers who dont mind some rough stuff.

Comment

There's absolutely nothing wrong with kata/forms when used as one of many teaching tools. The problems arise when instructors use them as a replacement for alive methods such as padwork with resistance or sparring to teach actual fighting. I know precisely jack about the various karate systems so I don't know what the various emphasises are for each, but doing one's homework is always a good start. Best of luck.

Comment

So what's the significance of the username? Are you Panamanian?

Comment

Probably panamanian/jamaican

Comment

Originally posted by Phrost View Post
                  So what's the significance of the username? Are you Panamanian?
                  No derlz plz thnx.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                  X