My Martial Art Sucks(MMAS)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Martial Art Sucks(MMAS)!

I've seen lots of Your Martial Art Sucks threads(or variations of the theme), but I don't think I've seen any My Martial Art Sucks thread.

I mean come on, even MMA has it's craps and downfalls

so let me start this thread by bashing my own MA
    (my teachers or my seniors will kill me if they see this lol)

I've been practicing Kyullyun Taekkyon(KT) for about 2 1/2 years now. There are 3 main branches of Taekkyon in Korea, and Kyullyun is the most minor branch of the big 3.

KT is composed of kicks, throws, take-downs, sweeps and locks. We do learn hand strike techniques, but we aren't allawed to use them in sparring sessions or competitions.

I'm fine with not using fists, becuase I can focus more on stand-up wrestling and clinching without my fists curled. That way I can use my kicks at a distance, and switch to clinching when my opponent gets close. But I still wish, at least in the gym, to let us spar with hand strikes. I mean, what's the point of teaching a technique you are never going to use!!! That's +15 to gayness right there!

However, despite putting alot of emphasis on kicks, we are not allawed full-contact kicks to the body!
    In Taekkyon we are encouraged to catch our oppenents kicks and take them down. A middle kick is one of the easiest kicks to catch, and since we don't use hand strikes, it's extremely difficult to land a successful kick to the body. So even when they allawed body kicks in KT competitions, nobody really used it much.
    So why in the hell did they ban full-contact body kicks?? I have no idea, and my teachers keep telling me it's unTaekkyonish to do middle kicks. Another +25 to gayness!!

Overall, I think KT is a descent fighting style... although it's taking me a while to get used to a MMA environment(I'm still learning lol). I still have difficulty against boxing and ground fighting, but I can kick, clinch, and block tackles quite well(ironically one of my favorite moves is the knee-kick, another illegal move in Taekkyon).

Well Taekkyon is Taekkyon, and we can't tell it to mimick MMA. I believe it's not the techniques or forms that define a martial art, it's what the practioner makes of itself.
    Last edited by EdgeWalker; 5/27/2009 7:52pm, .

Wow. An actual, good thread, started by a noob.

My martial art rocks, though. I have no problems with the training or instruction.

But awesome thread.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Originally posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Originally posted by sochin101
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Originally posted by HappyOldGuy
    I agree with moosey

Comment

haha, i guess they probably want to teach you to people to do middle kicks, so that they can show the usefulness of catching the kicks!

But no seriously, that is weird.

The only criticism I can't think of for judo is the fact that your average person won't be wearing a gi, which reduces the effectiveness of any Gi techniques quite a bit.

As someone here had as their signature "I'm gonna kick your ass. But put on this jacket first please".

Oh actually, I also seriously dislike the return to standing rules introduced into Judo. I know it's to focus on the standing element, but still...it practically invalidates a whole section of the techniques.
      Last edited by han090; 5/27/2009 8:17pm, .

Comment

My MA sucks, because most people have no clue what SAMBO or BJJ is.
        Originally posted by MrBadGuy
        The Dog kid's mom is parked next to me in the parking lot. He runs up and asks me a question. "Hey dude, where did you learn that stuff?"

"That was grappling. Real MMA."

"Where do I go for that?"

I was a little shocked. Sure, he changed sides quickly, but I guess even a dog can realize it has more in common with the wolf than with the shephard.

I give him the names of some BJJ schools in the area, and we go our separate ways.

Comment

My Gung Fu sucks. Honestly, it sucks hard. The footwork is meant to be both combative AND a workout... Which means that even just using it will wear you out... Which means that it really isn't that combat effective. Its slow. It has shitty strikes that lack power because you don't put your body weight into any of them. Its all very traditional and needs a big modern update. Its only real upside is its workout, which is one of my 2 main reasons for still practicing it. It literally works every muscle in my body that my other training doesn't, so it fills in the empty spots. Plus its just plain fun to practice, that's the other reason. But all in all, its not a decent fighting style. It served in turning me into the person I am today, but really, it blows.
          "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝

Comment

Originally posted by Siniq View Post
            My MA sucks, because most people have no clue what SAMBO or BJJ is.
            Haha I just took my first BJJ class the other day, and told some of my friends about it on XBOX live. Two of them were playing the new UFC 2009 game, and out of the two one of them asked: "Wait, Brazilians have their own Jiu Jitsu?"
            "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝

Comment

^ :lol:

Good thread btw dude, I don't think my ma sucks per say, more like the professional side's politics suck. :P

Comment

Originally posted by han090 View Post
                haha, i guess they probably want to teach you to people to do middle kicks, so that they can show the usefulness of catching the kicks!

But no seriously, that is weird.

The only criticism I can't think of for judo is the fact that your average person won't be wearing a gi, which reduces the effectiveness of any Gi techniques quite a bit.

As someone here had as their signature "I'm gonna kick your ass. But put on this jacket first please".

Oh actually, I also seriously dislike the return to standing rules introduced into Judo. I know it's to focus on the standing element, but still...it practically invalidates a whole section of the techniques.

U R doing it rong. Scientific testing has shown that even a cheapo t-shirt is enough to collar choke with, and nicer collared shirts stand up just fine for a single throw. And coats, hoodies, and sweaters work great as well. So unless you live on some polynesian island somewhere that everyone runs around naked all the time you can probably ippon the shit out of most people with whatever they happen to be wearing.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 3moose1 View Post
                  Wow. An actual, good thread, started by a noob.

My martial art rocks, though. I have no problems with the training or instruction.

But awesome thread.
                  Thx man

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

but come on everyone!

how come no one is complaining that their MA sucks.

I started this thread so you can whine and complain about your MA, stuff that you would never dare say in front of your instructors or seniors

LET's SEE SOME WHINING PPL!

Comment

I do Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. "What the hell is a throw?"

Comment

Because too many people are either insecure or overly proud, too much so to be comfortable making jokes at the expense of themselves or their hobbies. But the people here who aren't in love with themselves will post as they see it, I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Metsudragon View Post
                        ^ :lol:

Good thread btw dude, I don't think my ma sucks per say, more like the professional side's politics suck. :P
                        there's so much politics involved in the Korean MA Society it sometimes makes me sick. Well I guess it's same for all sports where money is involved.

Comment

My martial art used to suck because in 7 yrs of doing TKD I never had to defend against punches to the head. Fortunately in street fights nobody ever throws hand techniques at the head. Don't really have anything bad to say about Krav yet.

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeWalker View Post
                            Thx man

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

but come on everyone!

I started this thread so you can whine and complain about your MA, stuff that you would never dare say in front of your instructors or seniors

LET's SEE SOME WHINING PPL!
                            nope... Pretty complete packege here... My boxing could use some work, but that's neither here nor there. I have nooooo beef with any aspect of my styles and the gyms I train in. Altho I heard BJJ is expencive as fuck in a lot of places. Also that new Gracie cousin thing sucks and is bad for the sport.
                            Originally posted by MrBadGuy
                            The Dog kid's mom is parked next to me in the parking lot. He runs up and asks me a question. "Hey dude, where did you learn that stuff?"

"That was grappling. Real MMA."

"Where do I go for that?"

I was a little shocked. Sure, he changed sides quickly, but I guess even a dog can realize it has more in common with the wolf than with the shephard.

I give him the names of some BJJ schools in the area, and we go our separate ways.

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeWalker View Post
                              Because the definitive version of this thread was already posted by Omega.

Why your martial arts sucks: - No BS Martial Arts
                              Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X