Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences Between Judo Ne Waza and BJJ Techniques?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree, and no I have not. Never grabbed the pants in shiai yet. Kouchigari is my tokuiwaza however, and I hit that transition with some regularity.

Comment

Ask your coach about it, but I personally think you're worrying over nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach Josh View Post
        They just interpreted the rules a little stricter. Not only did the refs but the players also. It became almost automatic. The players would hit the mat and look up at the ref for the matte. If one of them was actively hunting for something they would have to get on the other guy quick. They were given time to work. It just became an unstated understanding between the ref and players. Its a 5 minute match and they want the elite players in the world to demonstrate elite level Judo.

Lower level refs just assumed at the lower level comps the players would want to do the same. Add to the fact that lower level refs hardly play Judo its understandable why it would happen that way.
        I understand the intent, but then to keep alive (as in alive training) newaza we'd either need different rules for non-elite players (un-kanoish), or understanding coaches and teachers who do it anyway. My point is that in a couple more generations, those teachers would become very rare. Or LARPers.
        Will somebody think of the children?!??!?!??one

Comment

I wonder if the (Judo) powers that be realize that the general public is becoming more and more accustomed to seeing Ne Waza via/MMA. The assumption that they don't want to see it may end up being very, very false someday.
          Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
          Luta Livre flees the fight,
          Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
          Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Comment

Originally posted by War Wheel View Post
            I wonder if the (Judo) powers that be realize that the general public is becoming more and more accustomed to seeing Ne Waza via/MMA. The assumption that they don't want to see it may end up being very, very false someday.
            It's a hard task they have. To preserve judo, without becoming entrenched and snobbish, nor blindly following the stream and turning into something else.

MMA isn't as widely popular as judo worldwide, so it'll take time before the "base" starts complaining, if it ever happens. Still I thank BJJ (and MMA by reflex) for invading teh rea1 judo turf, with lots of footage, and right when the internet was booming.

Comment

YouTube - Sude Gaeshi

AKA Khabbarelli. Starts with the pants grab.

And variations of Kuchiki Taoshi. It's also used as a kuzushi for various leg sweeps.

Comment

Originally posted by Hedgehogey View Post
                And variations of Kuchiki Taoshi.
                That's a leg grab, not a pants grab.

As for Sude Gaeshi, I've never seen it used, it would seem from the video to fall victim to this rule though.

Has anyone other than Khabbarelli ever used it competitively?
                Last edited by Lu Tze; 6/03/2009 4:06pm, .

Comment

Spot the differences:

YouTube - これがサンボだっ(37) Gadavlia

Comment

Originally posted by Lu Tze View Post
                    That's a leg grab, not a pants grab.
                    Variations of.
                    Has anyone other than Khabbarelli ever used it competitively?
                    Yes

Comment

Fair enough. The SAMBO guys seem to manage okay without pants though.

Comment

So does Lebell.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                        X