Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences Between Judo Ne Waza and BJJ Techniques?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differences Between Judo Ne Waza and BJJ Techniques?

I am considering starting at a Judo Club close to UNLV. I have done sport Jiu-Jitsu for a year at a Machado school. What are the differences between Judo groundwork and BJJ groundwork? Are they significant or merely stylistic?

I am told that Judo does very little work from the guard... is this true?

Hold up.

You want to start a Judo club, but you haven't done any Judo?

Comment

On average, BJJers are much better than Judoka in newaza.

On average, Jodoka are much better than BJJers in tachiwaza.

This is a result of each's training focus and sporting version's rule set.

Comment

So with a year of BJJ under your belt, you are going to start a Judo club. Please tell me you're not coaching.

Comment

Originally posted by Mas View Post
          Hold up.

That's a lot like creating a thread without using the search function.

Comment

Originally posted by Mas View Post
            Hold up.

Sorry, should have said, "start training at a Judo Club." This is what happens when you post while multi-tasking.

Comment

Originally posted by Kentucky Fried Chokin View Post
              That's a lot like creating a thread without using the search function.
              Yes, but by starting a thread, I can ask wonderful people like you all of my annoying, stupid questions. Aren't you fucking lucky?

Comment

Originally posted by kenpostudent View Post
                I am considering starting at a Judo Club close to UNLV. I have done sport Jiu-Jitsu for a year at a Machado school. What are the differences between Judo groundwork and BJJ groundwork? Are they significant or merely stylistic?

I am told that Judo does very little work from the guard... is this true?
                Reading comprehension fail for half of this thread. Fucking idiots, learn to read.

Kenpo: RoninPimp has the correct. Judo and BJJ are just differently focused due to their competition rules.

Comment

What RoninPimp says. The concepts are pretty much the same, as are the root movements. But BJJ clubs tend to practice more at newaza and consequently tend to be better at it. Also, their guard work tends to be much better developed.

That's not to say you won't ever find a Judo club with good groundwork, or a BJJ club with good takedowns. They exist, but tend not to be as common.

Comment

He's saying he's going to start "at" a judo club, not start a club.

kenpsostudent: from my experience, yes, Judoka are less likely to employ guard techniques, preferring to go to all fours and attempt a reversal or takedown from there, and are more likely to attempt a reversal or escape to all fours from under a pin rather than attempt to recover guard.

Then there is the focus on pins: In Judo, you can win by osaekomi waza: pinning someone (without being caught in guard) for 25 seconds on their back. This leads to an emphasis on pins like side control, kesa gatame, and the mount over back control. It also leads to less emphasis on submissions when you have secured a dominant position and more emphasis on maintaining the dominant position, though Judo does seem to have a lot of submissions from positions where you are not actually pinning (in contrast to BJJ's mantra of position then submission), where they are often presented as alternatives to securing the turnover and pin or whatever.

There is a stereotype, not always accurate, that Judo newaza is more strength and explosiveness based than BJJ. This is because of the very limited time in competition for newaza: you basically have to yank an arm out or crush their throat or smash through their guard immediately if you are going to be assured that the ref is going to not just stand you back up. If this new club turns out to be like this, this is good for you because you will learn to do ground work when your partner is using a lot more strength than you may be used to. On the other hand, if your BJJ club was very pressure and strength heavy, the Judo club may be a bit more light and slippery - it is just a stereotype.

Oh, also: Judo guys like collar chokes a lot. Be prepared.

Comment

Cool, I can train at a Judo school for $40 per month and get three classes a week. Whereas, if I train BJJ, I can get 8 classes a month for $100. Since BJJ has no stand-up work, I think I'll get more bang for my buck at the Judo Club. Also, money is tight because I am a law student with income only in the Summer that has to last all year.

Comment

I could've sworn there was no "at" in the OP.

Comment

geez that's the best deal on BJJ in las vegas?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyCache View Post
                            geez that's the best deal on BJJ in las vegas?
                            Don't know if $100 for 8 classes a month is the BEST deal in Las Vegas, but it is the best that fits my tight schedule. My friend just joined Wanderlei Silva's gym, I think he pays like $130 for unlimited classes. That is everything... kickboxing, MMA, BJJ, no-gi submission wrestling, ect. There are some other really good places, but their class schedules conflict with school and they are on a different side of town. I have not found a BJJ school that offers unlimited classes for less than $120. Nor have I found a school that offers more than 8 classes a month for less than $100.

The Judo Club is literally right across the street from UNLV. If I bring my Gi, I can walk to class. From what I gather, they offer three classes a week and one is all Ne Waza for $40 per month. The classes are an hour and a half long.

Comment

OP was given an infraction for starting a basic thread in the advance forum.

If you're unsure where you're thread should go, send me a PM.
                              Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X