Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starting from zero

Hello,

I've lurked and read the school ratings for a while now but finally got annoyed enough by the nag text to sign up ;)

I'm a 29 year old out of shape computer geek from SoCal with a casual interest in MMA. I have pretty much 0 experience in any arts beyond 2 years of scholastic wrestling 15ish years ago. All that said, I've recently been contemplating training in something for fitness/recreation.

I don't have any delusions that I'm the next heavyweight champ, don't have time to train 6 days a week, and don't really need a bunch of ego and machismo in my life so I'm hopeful I can find somewhere to train thats compatible. With the wealth of options in the area, I think I've narrowed it down to Legends MMA or Hollywood BJJ. Both seem well regarded. Legends might be too pricey, and possibly the wrong place for a beginner (i've seen a couple posters equate it to "grad school" for mma?) so I guess that leaves HBJJ. I plan on emailing them to get their rates and suggestions for an out of shape guy like me to just get started. I would love any feedback from/for beginners relating to either school.

sqw

Welcome to Bullshido.

Best suggestion for an out of shape guy to just get started is, "just get started". Everyone had to start from zero, don't worry about it.

Comment

Hey, man, welcome.

Don't worry about the zero. "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step," right?

Comment

I'm a pure noob with ZERO experiencein martial arts or wrestling and started recently at 27. However, I wasn't out of shape though. Go in there with a willingness to learn and don't take it as a joke. Your peers will see that in the class and if your like that you'll going to turn into a grappling dummy fairly quick. Likewise, your peers will respect you if they know you are trying.

Anyway, the fact that you have a wrestling does mean a lot for grappling even if you did it 15 years ago. That stuff just sticks with you. You'll be fine. Just stay dedictated to it and your instructors will keep you motivated. The big difference between going to the gym and a martial arts school is the personal instruction. There isn't going to be much room for you to screw around versus the gym. Just join one of them and make sure they are willing to train beginning and you should be fine. Of course, get a psychical from a doctor before you go out if this is your first time working out in a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Kishi View Post
          Hey, man, welcome.

Don't worry about the zero. "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step," right?
          This saying has bothered me a lot after getting it in a fortune cookie after running a marathon.

Comment

Have you considered the Hayastan Academy?

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Comment

Originally posted by migo View Post
              This saying has bothered me a lot after getting it in a fortune cookie after running a marathon.
              No kidding. Maybe if you'd gone a thousand miles you would have gotten something like, "It's not the destination, it's the journey..."

::begin Twilight Zone music::

Comment

Originally posted by sqweak View Post
                I guess that leaves HBJJ. I plan on emailing them to get their rates and suggestions for an out of shape guy like me to just get started. I would love any feedback from/for beginners relating to either school.
                I've not trained at HBJJ, but I've only ever heard good things about the school, so much so that once I finally make it out to the US for a training trip, that's high on my list of places to visit. I'm sure you'll get excellent instruction there, and you could also check out some blogs by Hollywood BJJ students (e.g., here, with posts like this).

Also, you might find this BJJ Beginner FAQ useful, as a new student in BJJ.

As I mention in that FAQ, for further reading on BJJ, I'd recommend the following threads:

Training, Stagnation and Tapping

Maximizing what you get out of rolling

Protecting Yourself During Sparring

BJJ Rolling Guide for Beginners
                Grappling Basic Principles

Advice for Noobs

10 Quick Tips for White Belts

First Day Lesson

Fundamental 5

Obvious Epiphanies

And the following articles:

Starting BJJ Classes
                Nuggets of Advice
                Beginning BJJ
                (free e-course and e-book)
                BJJ Beginner FAQ, Artemis BJJ, GrappleThon.org (BJJ for Charity)

Comment

thanks all for the welcome and encouragement!

ka-bar: no, I haven't. Not familiar with it or Gozor, do you train there or can you enlighten me on why it's worth checking out?

slideyfoot: holy brain dump. Thanks! I'm enjoying reading your faq and blog.

Comment

Just to add to what has already been said, the best way to get fit for MArtial Arts is to do Martial Arts. you will be gassed for your first few lessons but then you'll learn to pace yourself and eventually you won't have to pace yourself.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                    X