Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noob - can't believe anyone's interested in us but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noob - can't believe anyone's interested in us but...

I'm a 37 year old noob. No idea why there's any interest in noobs but as soon as I signed in, a big, flashing sign appeared saying 'why don't you try introducing yourself.' Background is a half-decent 18 stone (114kgs) ex-rugby player (front row) who did a bit of kickboxing in the 90s (loved it), boxing (not that good but spar / train a little every now and again) and now judo.

Oh and I am Chinese brought up in Europe. This makes it particularly tiresome when individuals mistranslate or deliberately misinterpret Chinese terminology and then insist they are right. Lots of mysticism comes from basic mistranslation and if you have any Chinese tattoos, I am happy to check them over for you as long as you don't mind me sharing the often hilarious results with my Chinese friends (one guy actually had 'page 2' tattooed on his arm).

I mention rugby because I recently started judo and my throwing combos are based on my 25 years of OK rugby. By this, I mean there are techniques which translate to variations of judo throws and are great against other noobs in randori. Realistically, they will not continue to work at more advanced levels but this is something I will find out.

In addition to three judo sessions per week, I am starting to train with a 300lb BJJ guy once per week because the voices in my head told me to do it (does anyone out there really read this stuff...?)

Judo is fantastic but my only frustration is a lack of competition as I am used to competing every weekend in rugby. In randori, I only train at 50% power max whereas I would love to open up and challenge myself against real, live opponents looking to strangle me into unconsciousness. If anyone knows of any newbie competitions in the UK or maybe France, I'd love to go.

So there you go. Not that exciting as noobs go but if any judo folks out there know anything, please let me know.
    Last edited by Big Gorilla; 5/22/2009 6:23pm, .

Check out the Throwdown section for those opportunities to challenge yourself. Welcome.

Comment

Welcome. You will find there are quite a few Judoka on these boards and there is a fair amount of Judo nutriding that goes on. Which is, of course, a good thing!

Comment

I'm surprised by the lack of competitions you're experiencing. There should be plenty shiai to be had, even at a senior novice level. Ask your instructor if he has a schedule of local tournaments or just google. I'm sure you'll find something.

Welcome to Bullshido!
        "The pedant is he who finds it impossible to read criticism of himself without immediately reaching for his pen and replying to the effect that the accusation is a gross insult to his person. He is, in effect, a man unable to laugh at himself."Sigmund Freud, The Ego and the Id.

Comment

I am shocked at the lack of newbie competitions

I am shocked as well. Having googled systematically, there are almost no newbie comps in the UK that I can find. However, maybe I have missed a website somewhere with a complete list.

There is more competition in France but there are a number of issues which mean I cannot attend.

The US looks significantly better served.

Still, if you know anywhere I can look...

Comment

Try this site out. The month of May seems to be done in terms of comps, but you can look ahead and plan with your instructors on which competitions to train for.

http://www.britishjudo.org.uk/home/calendar.php
            "The pedant is he who finds it impossible to read criticism of himself without immediately reaching for his pen and replying to the effect that the accusation is a gross insult to his person. He is, in effect, a man unable to laugh at himself."Sigmund Freud, The Ego and the Id.

Comment

Welcome to Bullshido.

The best person to ask is probably your coach.

Comment

Hi welcome! Definitely check out the throwdown section as there are quite a few brits active on this forum. You'll do alright here.

Comment

Welcome to Bullshido!

Originally posted by Big Gorilla View Post
                  I would love to open up and challenge myself against real, live opponents looking to strangle me into unconsciousness. If anyone knows of any newbie competitions in the UK or maybe France, I'd love to go.
                  As you're in the UK, you might be interested in joining the throwdown group, which aims to keep people updated on UK throwdowns (basically an open mat, if you're unfamiliar with the term). Last one was in Farnborough, next one will be in Belfast (date still to be confirmed: post in that thread to have your say on when it should be).
                  BJJ Beginner FAQ, Artemis BJJ, GrappleThon.org (BJJ for Charity)

Comment

Thank you one and all!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                    X