Morganti Jiu Jitsu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morganti Jiu Jitsu

Oh, if a get a nickel everytime someone creates a new style for whatever reason...

http://www.gatame.com.br/v2/pais_federacao/

Fight:
    YouTube - Morganti Jujitsu - Sensei Tony vs Sensei Alberto Nicoletti

Seens like just a mixin of Karate and Judo to me. The rules seens to privilege grappling techniques.

There are more videos on youtube, and most of them has comments that sounds like groupies.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: the correct is JU Jitsu.

They're well rounded. The tournament rules are a little odd, but also fun. I like that it's full contact and bareknuckle. It's like Kyokushin with grappling thrown in. Their ground skills aren't anything stellar but they are well rounded. Also, pretty much any grappling technique is allowed, including neck cranks and heel hooks.

I never felt the rules particularly favoured grappling when I was competing in their tournaments.

Anyway, they're good. I much prefer them to the clusterfucks that are the Pankration tournaments up here.

Comment

I dont really care if someone creates a new style. Everything was created at some point. They can call it chop-socky for all i care.

The main thing to me is that it is alive and they train full contact (although no headshots). It also has a mix of ground and standup which i think is good and they seem to be competant in both.

Comment

Head shots are allowed with kicks. So you can win by KO.

Comment

Black belt training
          YouTube - Praia Confinamento.mpg

YouTube - Exame de faixa Preta 21dez08
          Black belt exam

Honestly, for me this is more then enough.

Comment

You're clearly not listening. They do full contact, bare knuckle competition WITH grappling. If you consider Kyokushin to be legit, then these guys are too.

Comment

So, they emulate Mas Oyama?

They train alive and use their art?

I know this was in MABS what is the issue? You believe they suck or something?

Seens like just a mixin of Karate and Judo to me. The rules seens to privilege grappling techniques.
              Like BJJ focuses on grappling techniques?
              Like Olympic Judo focuses on throws?
              Like Boxing focuses on striking?
              Like TKD focuses on Kicks?

Seriously, lay out the problem. The name? Meh? There are thousands of named arts? Hello, Gracie JiuJitsu.

Comment

I thought the water training was pretty cool; I’m going to have to try that some time. But yeah it looks to me like they have a solid art, I don’t see what they’re lacking besides maybe more modern training techniques.
                Side note the music in that last video was amusing. Was it Christian rap?

Comment

Originally posted by cam4276 View Post
                  I dont really care if someone creates a new style. Everything was created at some point. They can call it chop-socky for all i care.

The main thing to me is that it is alive and they train full contact (although no headshots). It also has a mix of ground and standup which i think is good and they seem to be competant in both.
                  I don't totally agree with this. If the progenitor of a new system is highly trained and qualified in other systems then yes I don't have a problem with them mixing things from their past training and developing their own system.

But if the guy has just run around training for 6 months at a time at several different places and then just mashes it all together and calls it a new systme I would call bullshit.
                  安氏八极拳学生

Comment

Am I the only Steven Brust fan who wondered if this was Jiu-Jitsu that would destroy an opponent's soul?

Comment

A Morganti fighter from Brazil opened up a school in the Vancouver area and was competing in MMA events here. Here's a clip of one of his winning fights:

YouTube - Cesar Narita at the EFC

Sherdog has him listed at 6 wins, 3 losses:

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/cesar-narita-14503

Comment

I got the information in a brazilian portuguese forum from ex practicioners that, yes, when you someone grab the oponent nobody can strike anymore. None of then could even say wich karate style and graduation he got. One of the requirements of the more advanced graduation is to learn japanese, although it was created by brazilians.

Did anyone noticed the Morganti capoeira on his website, by the way.

Anyway, those video is more than enough to me.

I don't wanna sound harsh or something but, come on gentlemen, those two last videos are black belt training. From a black belt karate derived style I would expect a lot more at those people training on the rocks. The same about the training in the pool. This is not about if it's cool or not, but the effectiveness and relevance of that new style.

I watched many more videos of this Morganti ju jitsu and I couldn't see anything close to a serious endeavor on this martial art.

Looks to me what americans calls a McDojo.

Comment

Originally posted by eternalLearner View Post
                          ....This is not about if it's cool or not, but the effectiveness and relevance of that new style.

I watched many more videos of this Morganti ju jitsu and I couldn't see anything close to a serious endeavor on this martial art.
                          I'm not sure about the origins of this style, the business practices of the organization, etc., but they do seem to spar realistically and have produced fighters who perform credibly in MMA competitions. Below is a vid of what seems to be an in-house tournament for their local school where I live - looks decent enough to me.

Anyone on here from Brazil, and/or have first hand knowledge of Morganti Jujitsu?

YouTube - 2nd Morganti Ju-Jitsu Open Tournament

Comment

Originally posted by eternalLearner View Post

Looks to me what americans calls a McDojo.
                            Yes and here we go again.

It doesn't make him a fraud. The end.

Comment

eternalLearner: You're going by videos. I'm here posting with actual experience with the style. I've got a friend who trains in Morganti, with Cesar Narita, and he had a blue belt in BJJ prior, and he likes the style and the training.

Furthermore, their competitions are full contact, bare knuckle, and have more open grappling rules than BJJ. They allow anyone to compete, as long as they're wearing a gi. They've got aliveness, they've got contact, they've got standup and ground fighting, and they have open competitions to test themselves against competitors from other styles. Their fees here are the same as any other style in the area, so you definitely can't say they're Bullshido, and McDojo is really pushing it, depending on what your definitions are, and if you call them a McDojo you've gotta call a few local MMA (BJJ + Muay Thai) schools McDojo too.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X