Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignorami
    replied
    TKD and horses is obviously bollocks, but here's some food for thought...

1. Muay Thai very popular in Holland

2. The Dutch eat horses (paardenvlees)

Leave a comment:

• Chili Pepper
    replied
    Originally posted by Larus marinus View Post
    People were smaller in those days. What was considered a tall person then would be a dwarf now. Everyone rode what basically amounted to ponies in battle.
    I've got the late Choi Hong Hi's massive book on TKD back home, written in the late 70's/early 80's, and what's interesting is that there is no mention of flying kicks being used to knock a rider off a horse.

He goes into great detail about TKD's supposed origins with the Hwarang warriors in ancient Korea, but for such a notable thing, it just didn't make it into the final edition. Go figure.

Leave a comment:

• Larus marinus
    replied
    Is that a real thing that people say? If my enemies had horses small enough to easily flying side kick the riders off, I'd just kick the horse in the face with my Silva/Seagal front kick.
    People were smaller in those days. What was considered a tall person then would be a dwarf now. Everyone rode what basically amounted to ponies in battle.

Can your kid can kick another kid off of his/her pony (or donkey) down at the petting zoo?

If you have kids and have never tried this, Mythbusters-style - then you know what you doing.

Originally posted by Kintanon View Post
    The warcharger type horses are a solid foot taller than that, and a hell of a lot BIGGER in general. And with a bigger person on them, you'd need to be hitting 8 feet for sure with a flying kick. And then there's the matter of actually dislodging someone that's rooted securely to their horse in a way that won't shatter all of the bones in your tiny fragile human leg....
    Presumably whilst wearing armour and carrying a sword too. Unless the situation occurred where one side sent out their most athletic martial artists wearing only light clothing to counteract the other side's cavalry charge.

(I'm actually giggling at the mental image of this)

Leave a comment:

• Kintanon
    replied
    My horse is pretty small, about 15 hands high, which translates to about 60 inches at the shoulder, or 5 feet. She's a SMALL horse. She wouldn't be considered a war horse for anyone of any reasonable size. She could comfortably carry a 200lb rider, or a 150lb rider and 50lbs of gear at a walk or trot for a while, but anything faster would tire her out in short order.
    You would still have to be able to hit a solid 7 foot high flying side kick in order to kick me while sitting on her back.

The warcharger type horses are a solid foot taller than that, and a hell of a lot BIGGER in general. And with a bigger person on them, you'd need to be hitting 8 feet for sure with a flying kick. And then there's the matter of actually dislodging someone that's rooted securely to their horse in a way that won't shatter all of the bones in your tiny fragile human leg....

It's just a hilarity on par with fighting on top of umbrellas.

Leave a comment:

• CrackFox
    replied
    Originally posted by Permalost View Post
    If my enemies had horses small enough to easily flying side kick the riders off, I'd just kick the horse in the face with my Silva/Seagal front kick.
    That kick wasn't invented back then.

Leave a comment:

• Permalost
    replied
    Originally posted by Larus marinus View Post
    I vote 'Korean horses were smaller in those days - Americans, Japanese and/or Chinese later selectively bred genes for largeness into them'.
    Is that a real thing that people say? If my enemies had horses small enough to easily flying side kick the riders off, I'd just kick the horse in the face with my Silva/Seagal front kick.

Leave a comment:

• Larus marinus
    replied
    Originally posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Yeah, I know what the next noise will entail: the Ancients jumped-and-kicked from advantageous heights on uneven terrain. Okay, attempt this at your leisure, on some moving target and see what percentage success you'll have before injuring yourself.
    I vote 'Korean horses were smaller in those days - Americans, Japanese and/or Chinese later selectively bred genes for largeness into them'.

Leave a comment:

• Smoke
    replied
    Originally posted by It is Fake View Post
    HattoriHanzo

Last Activity
    02-02-2004 09:48 AM

Yes, he lasted posted on this website 7 years ago. Dates are now at the bottom of the posts.

Little Bro is 19 or 20 now.
    I'm going to guess by now, Little Bro probably found Judo or Muay Thai of some sort.

I wouldn't mind a good ITF school to improve my kicking, but then, if I just practice my regular Karate kicks, I should be good.

Leave a comment:

• Ignorami
    replied
    At 6' 7", all my attacks are from advantageous height. Its never helped me.

Leave a comment:

• Permalost
    replied
    Yeah, I know what the next noise will entail: the Ancients jumped-and-kicked from advantageous heights on uneven terrain. Okay, attempt this at your leisure, on some moving target and see what percentage success you'll have before injuring yourself.
    When I get to attack from advantageous height, I prefer to use Hulkamania technique to defeat my opponents, brother.

Leave a comment:

• Takeshi
    replied
    I'v been to one legitimate TKD dojo. TONS of sparring and realistic working out. It had me gassed! I also got my butt kicked by TKD girls and everything :D :D I still practice the kicks I was taught in TKD and transferred it into Muay Thai and TKD made me really flexible... shame on those Mcdojos :/

Leave a comment:

• tao.jonez
    replied
    Kicking people off horses. Jesus fucking christ.

Okay, the next time you see a mounted police officer, imagine yourself attempting this--even after all sorts of jumping-kick practice--and succeeding in doing anything more than slightly thumping the cop and/or the horse...and maybe pissing off one, or both.

I've kicked someone off their Huffy before. Twisted my ankle because we got tangled up and fell together. He hit me in the back of the head with a rusty paint can afterward but I don't think ancient Koreans had paint cans.

Leave a comment:

• It is Fake
    replied
    HattoriHanzo

Last Activity
    02-02-2004 09:48 AM

Yes, he lasted posted on this website 7 years ago. Dates are now at the bottom of the posts.

Little Bro is 19 or 20 now.

Leave a comment:

• charlie echo
    replied
    If your taekonwdo dojang was like my 1st school, Golden State Taekowndo, that incorporates kickboxing, including take-downs and foot sweeps, into every class, that offers boxing, kickboxing, jiu jitsu, MMA, and OKiwanwan karate kata then the story may have been slightly better.

But if your young bro went to UCMAP Taekowndo at Cal (UC Berkeley), that passes off WTF "footboxing" taekwondo as a real martial art then that's not much different that a MCDojo except that the tuition is dirt cheap and you can also cross-train in judo and Youngmudo hapkido.

I keep hearing that it's the instructor and the student that matters and that's true, but so does the dojo/gym and thier level of fitness and fight conditioning, targeting from head to toe, continuously.

Don't bash the art: not everyone's ready to play effective MMA their first year or two of martial sports. Bash the ignorant parent and the ignorant brother who let that kid train there. Better to have learned that at kiddie school then later in life.

Blindly sending your kid to a "martial arts" school without the research, asking around, leads one to learn movements worse than the useless crap that's out there.
    Last edited by charlie echo; 2/15/2011 9:33am, .

Leave a comment:

• Vieux Normand
    replied
    Kicking people off horses. Jesus fucking christ.

Okay, the next time you see a mounted police officer, imagine yourself attempting this--even after all sorts of jumping-kick practice--and succeeding in doing anything more than slightly thumping the cop and/or the horse...and maybe pissing off one, or both.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X