X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Are those high flying kicks or low flying kicks?"

Depends on where the tower puts you...

Comment

Jump spin flying side kick with a twist to the knee.

Comment

Comment

Comment

well, according to the "official" ITF rules, the sparring rules are different than what you state. though what you describe is what i have seen. which is weird.

thus showing again the poor organization of this federation.

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris
              B. Regardless, THATS NOT THE EMPHASIS. Are you gonna be talking about chambered kicks next? LMAO. High kicks are used as training tools and so that you CAN do them. The main kick though is a relatively low unchambered roundhouse with no snap. Aimed no higher than the solar plexus.
              I'm being taught that the hardest TKD kick to do properly is the sidekick... the one taught beginning at white belt. We are also admonished no to try to kick too high. Everyone off the street wants to roundhouse to someone's head. But if you try to go higher than your body is ready for your technique and form fly out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by xeropwr
                Anyone who owns the Taekwon-Do encyclopedia by, General Choi Hong Hi can find all of these techniques. The problem lies in peoples focus.
                I have browsed that encyclopedia, and it actually seems to address ALL the questions involving hand to hand combat.

But there is a huge emphasis on kicks, if I remember well.

And the sine wave theory sucks.

Comment

the sine wave theory is a load of bs. a mountain of shit so high that not even the ITF schools themselves have been able to scale it. thus no one has a damn clue as to the point and reasoning behind the sine wave. and this is without even going into the fact that it only applies in forms, which aren't used in combat anyway.

Comment

MaverickZ you are correct about the poor organization of the ITF. There are now 3 ITF's all have seperate tounament rules. Just in the Choi group alone the rules have changed twice and I hear their changing again.

Comment

There's a BBJ and ITF TKD dojo near my place... yes, BJJ and TKD. But there is a hope that it is not bullshido/mcjdojo since I saw a neat little poster about some MT fight event somewhere unrelated to the dojo on the walls of it. It could be that it just does BBJ-TKD so people will know what it is. San Diego Sidekicks style paintjob on the pictures on the glass seem to say otherwise. Still haven't looked at it, it's closed when I drop by it.

Comment

TKDan28 the side piercing kick or side kick is a difficult kick in the sense that most people perform it wrong. The general wanted to see the knee raised high almost like your trying to touch your chin then in a corkscrew motion delivering the kick, fully extending the hip creating a straight line from the footsword all the way up the body to the shoulders. Concerning Sine wave. Sine wave can be compared to when a boxer drops his weight forward and down at the moment of impact, to creat maximum force. Sine wave teaches the student how to use the whole body to strike and block as one. The student first learns sine wave in the patterns (forms) than refines it to practical use. I'm sure there are other methods but that's how the ITF teaches it.

Comment

i agree w/ the poster, b/c i was mugged in real life. my first and only "streetfight". outnumbered by 3, older guys. had I just given him the money it would've been okay. but no, i thougt i could "take care of them" this is why I have a personal hatred TKD

Comment

it's unfortunate that that's how the ITF teaches it, because it really is a waste of time and energy.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackBeltNow
                              i agree w/ the poster, b/c i was mugged in real life. my first and only "streetfight". outnumbered by 3, older guys. had I just given him the money it would've been okay. but no, i thougt i could "take care of them" this is why I have a personal hatred TKD
                              so you're blaming your own lack of judgement on a martial art?

this is like a race car driver blaming his wrench for losing a race.
                              Last edited by MaverickZ; 1/15/2004 2:10pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by MaverickZ
                                the sine wave theory is a load of bs. a mountain of shit so high that not even the ITF schools themselves have been able to scale it. thus no one has a damn clue as to the point and reasoning behind the sine wave. and this is without even going into the fact that it only applies in forms, which aren't used in combat anyway.
                                The sine wave theory is only applied in forms? But I saw some TKD practioners punching some wooden thing at the wall while moving up and down.

That is sine wave theory in action, right?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X