Taekwondo can be dangerous...in REAL LIFE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WingChun Lawyer
    Yeah, it was going hard that way, before Choi's son took over, since his death, from my understanding, it's now total sport.

Comment

i have found that the best schools tend to not be affiliated with any organization. when you're part of one, you end up having to follow their doctrine. and their policies change fast and usually not in a good direction. and now that Gen. Choi is dead the ITF is splintering all over the place. I don't see a good future for ITF. With the WTF's sole goal of being an olympic sport, i don't see anything good in the future of TKD, which is unfortunate.

Comment

i agree Mav, though that splintering was taking place before Choi's death.

Choi's son is an arrogant ass, and I can see why people wouldn't want to "follow" his direction.

Comment

Comment

option 4.

they also win freestyle forms competitions

Comment

Oh well, they did spar with lots of protective gear. But since I had some previous experience in sparring without any gear at all, I managed to kick (or rather, punch) a blue belt student around without much trouble.

The sad part is, looking back I can actually say he was much better than me (even his punches were faster). But he had absolutely no idea what to do when another guy just kept advancing and attacking with straight punches, he just kept trying to use roundkicks and single punches while retreating.

No follow up skills as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
                2 I've heard from several different people, take that for what you will.
                3 I've never heard of, but it sounds crazy enough to be true.

Plus high kicks LOOK nice, atleast to me, in KAta and Demonstrations, I see no need not to kick high.

Comment

Originally posted by MaverickZ
                  option 4.

they also win freestyle forms competitions

Oh fuck, forms competitions should be banned completely, or at least they should have to openly admit that it is the same thing as figure skating.

Comment

Originally posted by WingChun Lawyer
                    Oh well, they did spar with lots of protective gear. But since I had some previous experience in sparring without any gear at all, I managed to kick (or rather, punch) a blue belt student around without much trouble.

The sad part is, looking back I can actually say he was much better than me (even his punches were faster). But he had absolutely no idea what to do when another guy just kept advancing and attacking with straight punches, he just kept trying to use roundkicks and single punches while retreating.

No follow up skills as well.

It SOUNDS like WTF, but I could be wrong.

In ITF, all we wore, was head, hands and feet pads. I never wore shin, because you won't have cusioning outside of the club.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
                      Oh fuck, forms competitions should be banned completely, or at least they should have to openly admit that it is the same thing as figure skating.
                      Most good schools do in my experience.

Maybe not use that exact analogy.

But the do tell you it's subjective judging.

Comment

Comment

hehe, when i used to compete (and once in a while i do now) my main thing was the sparring. but just for the hell of it i would do forms too. so i'd see these guys flipping around and doing 540 and 720 kicks. then i'd get up there, do my Tae Bek (a 2nd degree traditional form) with its 4 basic kicks just to get a laugh.

Comment

Comment

heh. i actually did manage to place once, i think a couple of the judges felt bad for whoring out their art.

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris
                                Youre an idiot.

A. High kicks work. Watch some mma or k1 and youll see a good nimber of succesful high kicks. Not a bad thing to know. With good timing and set up they can be a nice tool

B. Regardless, THATS NOT THE EMPHASIS. Are you gonna be talking about chambered kicks next? LMAO. High kicks are used as training tools and so that you CAN do them. The main kick though is a relatively low unchambered roundhouse with no snap. Aimed no higher than the solar plexus.

A fanatic is a man who consciously over-compensates a secret doubt.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X