No announcement yet.

Taekwondo can be dangerous...in REAL LIFE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TKD seems like a really pointless art if all ppl r doing is thinking that spinning kicks hit,, i think greg brings up a good point in practical self defence,, mabye if the TKD dude had pulled of a basic kick and hit it it may be over,, the point is not that TKD is a impractical art is that the ppl at high grades in tkd dont know where to use the basic knowlege in a real situation,,

Peace

Comment

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Makes sense to me.

Regards,
      Matt

Comment

Comment

You only have yourself to blame if you use shit that won't work and have your ass kicked.

Everyone needs to sensibly examine what they are training and why. In the case of your brother being 12 I blame YOU and your parents more. He may be too young to figure this out for himself. Your already having the experience kinda disgusts me that you would let him get in a predicament like this.

Comment

Yes, I agree. Although it may look like the victor was using kickboxing, he was simply applying basic TKD principles.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteShark
              You only have yourself to blame if you use shit that won't work and have your ass kicked.
              In the case of your brother being 12 I blame YOU and your parents more. He may be too young to figure this out for himself.
              True.

Although getting beaten is good for moral fiber.

Comment

Look at it this way. If you spend all your time practicing to kick and punch one certain way, but then when you fight you end up punching like a boxer and kicking like a kickboxer, then wouldn't you have been better off simply training that way to begin with? And I gotta say, whenever I've seen someone fight effectively, it doesn't look like a WC Chi Sao drill, or TKD one steps, or an Aikido demo. It looks like kickboxing and subwrestling. That's just the way it is.

Regards,
                Matt

Comment

Basic thing to have in miond discusing (how ever u spell that) street-fighting is that 99% pf what you now will flee out of the window and the rest will be stuck somewhere in your stomach. and if u dont belive me you have probebly never been in a streetfight.

Most ppl that get in a fight and win dosent win because they are trained but becuse they belive that they will win

Comment

Originally posted by Matt W.
                    And I gotta say, whenever I've seen someone fight effectively, it doesn't look like a WC Chi Sao drill, or TKD one steps, or an Aikido demo. It looks like kickboxing and subwrestling. That's just the way it is.

Regards,
                    Matt

Comment

Eh. I'd have to see it. Maybe it works for you. Maybe I would think it looks like you're just fighting. Who knows? I just feel that, from all the fights I've seen in person or on video and of different venues (Sanda, K1, MMA, etc.) and of different styles, that it all ends up looking about the same. There's some differences of course. Differences in strategy. Slight differences in movement. Different fighters that prefer different techniques. But over all, the punches kicks and grappling end up looking like the same type of fighting. And the arts that tend to look that way even in their training are arts like boxing, kickboxing, BJJ, wrestling, etc.

Regards,
                      Matt

Comment

Osiris,

Is training methodology divorced from style?

Regards,
                        Matt

Comment

Eh. I'd have to see it. Maybe it works for you. Maybe I would think it looks like you're just fighting. Who knows? I just feel that, from all the fights I've seen in person or on video and of different venues (Sanda, K1, MMA, etc.) and of different styles, that it all ends up looking about the same.
                          Regards,
                          Matt

Comment

Osiris,

Is training methodology divorced from style?

Regards,
                            Matt
                            You didn't ask me, but.... I'd consider it to be more that training intent is divorced from style.

Comment

On the flipside, one of my father's friends has a daughter who's been in TKD for a few years (I think she's between 10 and 13 years old). An older boy started pushing her around so she threw a jumping front-kick and broke his fucking jaw.

I know it probably worked more on surprise than anything else, but... well, shit.

Comment

Originally posted by tkdan28
                                You didn't ask me, but.... I'd consider it to be more that training intent is divorced from style.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X