Taekwondo can be dangerous...in REAL LIFE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taekwondo can be dangerous...in REAL LIFE

Last edited by HattoriHanzo; 1/15/2004 7:01am, .

Why do people blame the art for the McDojos out there?

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowofravenwolf
      Why do people blame the art for the McDojos out there?
      This goes for ALL TKD dojos not just the MCDojo ones. Except the sensei says to the people that this is just a sport not something you could actually use, that would be OK. But unfortunatly they dont do that cause if they did they wouldnt get as many people to train in their dojos..

Comment

no it doesnt, there are serious TKD dojos out there, dont generalise

Comment

When I was younger I used to do some light sparring with a buddy who did TKD and using only stuff I saw in movies I could match him and he was 6'2" 180, while I was 5'8" 120. Had he just come at me I would've been in trouble.

Comment

I kind of agree with Edge.

I don't have much respect for any of the TKD schools I've ever seen. The art, as demonstrated to me, seems impracticable for application to any realistic combat scenario.

That said, doing TKD doesn't, in itself, do any harm. In fact, it's probably great exercise, it's fun, it looks cool and may even impress the girls. You don't get your face mashed in, you don't have to hug sweaty men, and you'll greatly increase your flexibility.

The harm comes, as Edge says, if the sensei then starts telling everyone that this really is how fights happen and this is great self-defense technique. That can get people killed. So don't blame the art, blame the sensei.

Comment

The problem is that so many sensei's have told students this and those students have become sensei's and so on. The vast majority of TKD schools teach thier art as Self Defense, not Martial Ballet, which it truly is (either that or Martial Cheerleading).

Comment

I have dones TKD and do Tang Soo Do.
                There are schools that teach strict WTF rules for sparing...like what you described Hattori.
                While great exersize and fun. those schools are not pratical. I also do not choose to go to those schools.
                There are TKD schools that are not affliated with the WTF and tend to teach more practicle methods for fighting, or at the very least teach the difference between sparing and self defense.

So if you want to assign blame, blame the teacher, the school, but not all TKD.

The school I am at now makes it clear the difference between the two.

Comment

Comment

What ! So I'll never become the equal of Li Mu Bai... Oh no i'll never fly !

Comment

When I did TKD, sparring was full bore, full contact. We wore that dotted vest, but only because we were hitting full contact. Blame the school. When properly taught, TKD can be as efficient as any other MA.

Comment

The only way TKD works is if you don't train like a TKD guy, but train like a kickboxer. There are TKD dojangs that do that. They compete and sometimes do well. But that being the case, why not just train kickboxing?

Regards,
                        Matt

Comment

Heh, TKD bashing.

"So don't blame the art, blame the sensei."
                          And yourself for being a dumbass, and the media for portraying flippity shit.

Comment

Comment

"The problem is not with TKD (the kid probably could have won by sticking to basics), the problem is with the asshole McDojo-ishy punk-Sensei that convince people that don't know any better and probably cannot figure out for themselves."

I agree also. I started with TKD, and when we worked in class we did a lot of punches and even throws... not much actual ground work, but back then (1973 -74 era) the concentration was less on just kicks... I guess tournment point sparring changed more then I appreciate...

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X